• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diabetic Blue and Gold

missscoot

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone. Sorry for not keeping in touch the last few weeks. It has been crazy busy. Even had to cancel Mickey's vet appt. twice because of storm etc. Anyway, she went to the vet's yesterday. Her weight is up to 1000. So she gained another 20 grams. But her sugar was 575 still. He said she is definitely getting better but we need to get it down some more. So glipizide is going up to one 10 mil. pill per cup of water vs. I/2 a pill per cup that she has been on the past two weeks or so. And we will go back in a month and see how her level is then. So it does confirm to me that it is important to go by blood work and not just urine output since that has been good and she is acting well yet her sugar is still a little high. So we will just have to see what the next month brings. Still trying to find veggies she will eat better. She is being very picky but at least is eating the Harrison's well and certain nuts. I am not going to give up on the other veggies but she sure is wasting a lot. :) Hope everyone is well along with all your feathered friends. Hope to be able to get on and catch up some soon. Take care everyone.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good for Mickey and extra good for you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Most macaws like a whole leaf of romaine lettuce. It's really good for them too - romaine has lots of protein.

Attachments

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My sugar level tends to run high but my ACL is good so I just try not to go too nuts on sugary foods and doc is happy since my fasting levels went from about 130 to 106/107 plus good long term numbers. Sounds like she is headed that way with some luck and will just run highish a tiny bit with hopefully no long term affects.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
I wonder if Dr Ross Perry may have any experience treating diabetic birds? It would probably be a consultation fee, too...

Sick birds vet checks and treatment - Gold Coast Bird Vet

It is mentioned in his book... e-book is $40 Australian, or $50 Australian for a book?

Caring for Birds with Love and Gratitude book - Gold Coast Bird Vet

Same info might be found here??? Page 602 for most of the info.

http://www.michianabirdsociety.com/Avian Medicine_ Princilpes and Application.pdf
I know this is an old post but are his books good? I've been thinking about buying his cockatiel book but I've haven't seen any reviews yets.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
G
I know this is an old post but are his books good? I've been thinking about buying his cockatiel book but I've haven't seen any reviews yets.
Haven't read the book but Dr Ross is well known and respected.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
G
Haven't read the book but Dr Ross is well known and respected.
I bought the book. I just have to wait until I get an email from him to confirm it's me. I'll do a review once I'm finished reading!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I haven't read it either. Let us know!