• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diabetic Blue and Gold

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wonder if roudybush makes an acceptable diet? I'm not sure how many of you know but they make an extensive RX line.

Roudybush Direct

I was thinking about that, too... but one, they don't have a diabetic diet, and two, it's processed.

Maybe one of the foods could help?? But at the same time, I feel the less processed foods, the better?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I asked my vet today if he has ever treated a diabetic bird. :)

As for diabetic birds, I have used glipizide (a human drug to control diabetes) in the past. It does not always work but could be worth a try in the macaw.

Yes, the macaw was on glipizide and it was working. Unfortunately the bird lost all appetite while on the medication and refused to eat. Once removed her appetite returned to normal.Trying to find a vet that has treated this before in birds is few. Have you seen this often?

Seen rarely (and you know how many birds I see). Usually seems to be some other sort of problem associated with it, such as pancreatitis (as the cells that produce the insulin are on the pancreas). Surprised that the bird lost appetite on glipizide as I had not had that problem before (but anything is possible). Maybe they can change the formulation or reduce the amount and gradually increase to effective levels again. Not too many options to treat it, as using insulin is pretty dicey with birds, which I had tried years ago with a cockatiel, which is why I use glipizide now in these cases.

I know I gave you my vets email. :) He is very kind and would probably answer any questions you may have as well.

missscoot

Meeting neighbors
I asked my vet today if he has ever treated a diabetic bird. :)

I know I gave you my vets email. :) He is very kind and would probably answer any questions you may have as well.

i am so sorry but I ca't seem to find where you gave me the email to your vet. I have been reading so much from so many sources and now I can't seem to keep it all straight. So if you could PM me that I will try emailing hm. If my brain is awake enough to remember to check my inbox which I keep forgetting to check. Thank you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I also had an opportunity to talk to my vet about Mickey's case. He has treated diabetic birds. He is in agreement with the glipizide for treatment. He was concerned that you are having such a problem controlling her sugar level. Dr. Driggers said that he would take a look at the pancreas for infection, tumors or something interfering with it's function. He also said that controlling diet is very important and that it should consist of high fiber, protein and fat (good fats). No sugar and very low carbohydrates. It's hard to diagnose without seeing the bird and running tests, but he was quite sure of what he said.

Give Mickey a big kiss for me.

missscoot

Meeting neighbors
I also had an opportunity to talk to my vet about Mickey's case. He has treated diabetic birds. He is in agreement with the glipizide for treatment. He was concerned that you are having such a problem controlling her sugar level. Dr. Driggers said that he would take a look at the pancreas for infection, tumors or something interfering with it's function. He also said that controlling diet is very important and that it should consist of high fiber, protein and fat (good fats). No sugar and very low carbohydrates. It's hard to diagnose without seeing the bird and running tests, but he was quite sure of what he said.

Give Mickey a big kiss for me.
We really aren't really having as much trouble controlling it, It has gotten better for the most part. A lot better than before the glipizide. The problem is getting a good test strip reading because of less urine to test. I have even tried keeping her on stand without paper to absorb the urine or putting plastic wrap at the bottom of her cage to catch as much "liquid" as possible to test. This of course, is under her grate where she can't get at it.
I actually made an appt. this morning and got her back into see my vet. I was very concerned about her appetite and dehydration. And she has actually gained 10 grams since last visit! She is now 980. Though my scale said 969 this morning. I had quite a long talk with him and feel much more confident with all of this now. He feels we are on the right track. That she is just processing her food better now. He feels that because I was used to Micky eating so much before (she was eating so much but it was not sustaining her because of the sugar levels so she even more) that now what she eats does not seem normal to me but it actually is since she is gaining weight. He said she is not dehydrated. And though she is still slender he does feel that she has gained some muscle mass around her keel bone. We are going to try decreasing her glipizide some more to avoid the low sugar "shakes" and I am going to take her back in next Thur. and check her level at that time. And then we will go from there. How would Dr. Diggers look at the pancreas for infection? (I would assume that would have sown up in her blood work) I am not sure what other tests we could do that were cost effective and not terribly invasive. If your vet had any recommendations I would very much like to pass them on to my vet and get his thoughts on them. Thank you for thinking of Mickey at your vets.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Elevated amylase and lipase in the Chem Panel test can indicate pancreatic disease. There is also use of a sonogram and laparoscopy (small incision with a scope inserted), a CAT scan would also show physical issues with the pancreas. My vet is an expert at laparoscopies and has done several on my birds. He now has a CAT scan in his office and Jasper recently had one of those - amazing what you can see.

missscoot

Meeting neighbors
Elevated amylase and lipase in the Chem Panel test can indicate pancreatic disease. There is also use of a sonogram and laparoscopy (small incision with a scope inserted), a CAT scan would also show physical issues with the pancreas. My vet is an expert at laparoscopies and has done several on my birds. He now has a CAT scan in his office and Jasper recently had one of those - amazing what you can see.
Would these have been in the bloodwork panel that you were kind enough to explain to me before?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Would these have been in the bloodwork panel that you were kind enough to explain to me before?

I'll need to find the test results again - I'm getting darned old and CRS.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Or not ;) this is what I was remembering.

1485550163070-229286209.jpg

missscoot

Meeting neighbors
Or not ;) this is what I was remembering.

View attachment 242972
I am a little confused. This is not from Mickey. ?????? The top one is though. Anyway when I left the vets this morning I felt confident that we were on the right track and that we just had to tweak things a little but now I am getting worried that I should be doing more tests and wondering about other procedures that maybe should be done and I feel like I am getting overwhelmed again confused and not knowing what to do now and what not to do. I really appreciate the thoughts and info but I think I need a vacation!!!! :) So I am going to take a few days off and run away from internet land!!! I will return, hopefully refreshed and ready to do battle with this disease again but I think right now I am just going to enjoy Mickey and the fact that she has gained a little weight. Talk to you all soon.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am a little confused. This is not from Mickey. ?????? The top one is though.

The bottom one is one of my birds. I thought the vetscan chem had the AMY ( amylase ) levels on the bottom but I was wrong. ;)

missscoot

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone, Hope I didn't offend anyone by running off abruptly. Please forgive me if I did. Can you tell I don't deal with stress well sometimes? I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mickey is doing well right now. Her sugar levels are doing OK but crept up a little this morning but nothing like they were before. She ate really well yesterday. She is going in thursday for bloodwork to check her blood sugar level. She is acting great. Getting exercise and playing well. And even the hormonal behavior seems to be less too. So we just have to wait and see what happens thur. Have a great day everyone.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Looks like she is leveling out. All of the research and effort on your part has paid off.

She is so cute being abad girl.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sometimes you need a break from things! :) It can be a lot to take in and rather confusing. I'm glad you came back! And I hope you don't permanently leave so we can all learn along the way!

Great to hear Mickey continues to do well! :D