• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diabetes

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
@Clueless I have been doing just that. No harm in asking as many questions as possible. I should have had a list of questions ready when I went back to talk to them. So here I am up at 2 in the morning adding more questions to my list. Thank God for coffee!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Agreed, she says, with coffee in her hand.......

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Clueless I have been doing just that. No harm in asking as many questions as possible. I should have had a list of questions ready when I went back to talk to them. So here I am up at 2 in the morning adding more questions to my list. Thank God for coffee!
I carry a voice recorder in my shirt pocket, when a great idea comes to mind or a great thought, I record it on voice recorder. To make notes with later. Or I'll forget the next day.
Helps in my quest to write a book.
And yea....thank God for coffee...!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
One of the common side effects however is low blood sugar, and risk of crashing.
And that's why it is so important to eat combined with medication.

If it was my bird I have let the meals control the medication and not the opposite.
To give insulin without food even kills us and sadly also one of my closest friend.

The best thing to give when they crashed is juice with dextrose and juice with honey as a second option.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Greylady1966

Keep looking for someone that knows more about diabetes in parrots. I bet they're out there.

It wouldn't hurt to call a few avian vets and ask if they were aware of someone who treats diabetes in parrots. Maybe ultimately a telephone consult with your local vet could help.

I was actually thinking of hauling MC up to see Dr. Orosz because I was very impressed when I heard her speak at the aging in parrots retreat hosted by Phoenix Landing.

Then, I was blessed to find someone 3 hours away that operated on my little buddy.
I agree too.... Because advances in research come out every day...somebody will know something.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
And that's why it is so important to eat combined with medication.

If it was my bird I have let the meals control the medication and not the opposite.
To give insulin without food even kills us and sadly also one of my closest friend.

The best thing to give when they crashed is juice with dextrose and juice with honey as a second option.
Amen to that!!

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I waited on giving Howard the glipizide and explained to our vet I wanted another opinion. She encouraged that and was very supportive. I called a certified avian vet about 4 hours from us. This is a city that has over 450 thousand people so I assumed they might deal with things more uncommon with parrots. I left a message the vet called Friday and said it's too hard to treat because of all the bloodwork they said they could do all the test my vet and the lab in Kansas did but they can't treat it. He also said the prognosis is never good. I'm going with my vets recommendation of glipizide.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers up for you and Howard.