• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Devoicing?

jdeviese

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
For those interested, I just read through "Essentials of Avian Medicine and Science," Third Ed., Blackwell Publishing, 2007. [Yes, I am a bit of a nerd!] It says the following about devoicing:

"Devoicing might be requested by an owner and although carried out in the past, principally on the domestic cockerel or a peacock, it is not an ethical procedure for a veterinarian to perform. In any case the long-term end result was often not satisfactory."

So, at least a medical text book claims it to be unethical.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so terribly sorry that this may have been done to Maria. I can't say that I adore every sound that comes out of Leia's beak, but I do love that she's able to express herself. She can shriek at the binbag and the outside birds, she can contact call, she can yell at/with music... I can't imagine her not being able to do any of that. I'm so glad that Maria has finally landed with someone who cares for her and her happiness.

I think devoicing parrots - along with devoicing dogs and declawing cats - will go down in veterinary history as a brutal set of related procedures that are all about making life easier for the owner rather than in the animals' interests. We do terrible things to animals because something about their very nature is inconvenient for us. I hope that future generations will look upon these procedures as abhorrent, and those who practice them as being worth prosecution and losing their licence to practice. I think this is changing, but I'm so sorry that this change happened too late for Maria.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wonder if it is possible that she wasn't purposely devoiced but has/had an illness that impacts the vocal cords? A tumor pressing on it, for example, might produce the same result I would think. I would want a vet to investigate to confirm one way or the other so that we aren't assuming it is a past procedure not, and not something current that can be remedied

jdeviese

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
I wonder if it is possible that she wasn't purposely devoiced but has/had an illness that impacts the vocal cords? A tumor pressing on it, for example, might produce the same result I would think. I would want a vet to investigate to confirm one way or the other so that we aren't assuming it is a past procedure not, and not something current that can be remedied
I suppose it's possible. But I took her to the vet last week, and he said that he didn't notice any anomalies or growths. She has a follow-up appointment coming up, so I'll be sure to ask. Thanks for the insight!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I would ask for x-rays and bloodwork, if she hasn't had those already. As an older Amazon who hasn't been on the best diet, I'd want to check her kidney and liver function.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Aspergillosis or a Staph infection can affect a bird's voice for life. Both infections destroy tissue if left untreated too long. Hank didn't get his whole voice back for some time after having MRSA in his throat. It's rare, but does happen.

@jdeviese Yes, that was the sanctuary where I volunteered and Tiki was the bird that I spoke about. She was a zinger and hard to tolerate most of the time. There were 350 birds there at that time and 350 heartbreaking stories. I think it is wonderful that you now have Maria and I'm sure that with or without voice your relationship will be one of loving each other.