• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Devastated

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Cndbirdy

I don't know the answer. I do know that medical answers aren't set in stone.

When MC developed a tumor on the outside of his body I first thought it would be an easy fix (my vet, an experienced, knowledgeable, good avian vet, said he thought so).

That tumor wound up being involved in his blood veins and we thought that MC's life was over when the tumor couldn't be removed.

I then found the University of Illinois (great friends on here held me up and helped me). An awesome vet was there with testing capabilities I never dreamed of! They were able to do tests (think cat scans, etc.) to see where the blood was involved and then later, surgery to remove the tumor.

I'm saying to take deep breaths.

Cndbirdy

Meeting neighbors
@Cndbirdy

When MC developed a tumor on the outside of his body I first thought it would be an easy fix (my vet, an experienced, knowledgeable, good avian vet, said he thought so).

That tumor wound up being involved in his blood veins and we thought that MC's life was over when the tumor couldn't be removed.

I then found the University of Illinois (great friends on here held me up and helped me). An awesome vet was there with testing capabilities I never dreamed of! They were able to do tests (think cat scans, etc.) to see where the blood was involved and then later, surgery to remove the tumor.

Thank You.. I will try. ❤

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just googled that and saw multiple articles.

Did they test her poo?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I didn't think of papaya! There is a "specialty " store near me. They always have it. I will def get some tomorrow.

Where do you get red palm oil? I never even heard of that.

She throws Brussel sprouts lol. I will keep trying though.

Thanks ❤
I use the same red palm oil @Hankmacaw linked. I keep it solid in the refrig rather than liquid.
I've gotten it both from Amazon and from my local Natural Grocer's/Vitamin Cottage

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC loved cooked sweet potatoes. I'd mash up a little and make sure it wasn't hot (or cold).

When he was sick, I tried every favorite I could think of to keep foods in him. I'd sit by his cage and soothe talk him into eating.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can I ask one last question. How rare is Chlamydia in Amazons? Our normal Avian Vet was closed due to a Covid outbreak. This vet originally said it was highly unlikely in an Amazon at first. Then when she did tge xrays said its was more plausible. (Englarged liver with black lungs on xray). She also said not to worry, it isnt so infectious to humans. The pediatrician said that isnt tge case. I am so worried now about my kids, who handled her every day. It will be 2 weeks for lab findings. She is now on doxycycline. My little guy has terrible febrile seizures, so my anxiety level is really high. We had her since the end of May. The new bird came about a month ago. They were isolated from each other for a while and the baby bird seems healthy. (Both are clearly now quarentined)
Chlamydia infection is rare in human nowadays. With proper antibiotics , it can be cured easily. Still, I suggest all of you use face masks while handling her. Ask your kids not to touch eyes without sanitizing hands. Actually, covid protocols are useful for protection from all respiratory infections.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@Cndbirdy

@Clueless-- Where is that university located in IL? Good to know where another GOOD avian vet is... thx...

Cndbirdy

Meeting neighbors
I just googled that and saw multiple articles.

Did they test her poo?
Not sure how they tested her. The lab work says it was a PCR test. I know they did take bloods for other tests. Any test they could think of, we did. We also did cultures for fungal as well. But I would be lying if I said that I knew if they took poop samples. Still waiting on results. She is on antibiotics, and is now eating. Still not taking care of herself though. I gave her a little spray down, which she normally goes crazy for.. she never preened after. Her poop had bubbles this morning. It was always yellowish , but until now, never had bubbles. I am wondering if its the meds. She is on day 3 of meds that treat chlamydia.. so I would think if that was it, we would see better poop, not worse..but what do I know . She is a little more alert, but still not moving around. I did see her chewing on her toy today. She also ate all of her food :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Macawnutz you know more about testing than I do. Can you answer?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Clueless-- Where is that university located in IL? Good to know where another GOOD avian vet is... thx...
Dr. Kenneth Welle
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

You can Google it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Cndbirdy

Meeting neighbors
My other guy now has terrible poop. Seems he may have tge same infection. Though he isnt fluffed and seems healthy. Waiting to find a clinic that can take him. A number are closed due to covid and the rest (including the one that saw her) is fully booked for a few days.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could it be something they ate?

Cndbirdy

Meeting neighbors
The little one got seen by the vet.. they had a cancellation! She said he is healthy, feathers are beautiful and she thinks he needs a probiotic if that. I know he is super stressed from being in the office and not with us. She will send in a poop sample, but she said he is healthy.
My big girl is on the top perch today :). She has a large 2 tier cage but has only been staying one perch thats at the bottom of the cage, near her food and water. But she is moving around today more and not as puffy.
Most of her results are still not in, but her bloods came back and liver disease is indicated. Lots of inflammation in her blood as well they said. Liver disease is bad, and I know we can't reverse it.. but I am happy when her respritory illness goes. I haven't slept in days.

Cndbirdy

Meeting neighbors
Could it be something they ate?
I doubt it. They get Zupreem fruit and veg blend and Zupreem treats (the one with the chili pepper). They eat fresh organic fruits and vegetables when they will take it. A half walnut a day and a nutriberry. Scrambled eggs every few days and the odd chicken bone. He does fly and chews absolutely everything.. but she has never flown so she isn't getting into anything. She only started using her chew toys not to long ago..

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope your babies get well soon... Take care of your health.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I hope she feels a bit better soon. That’s a lot you are coping with. Keep her warm (re illness and arthritis) and I wouldn’t spray her when she’s so obviously sick for the moment.

Interestingly my new vet has just put elderly Panama Amazon, Chico, on Tramadol for his arthritis.

Hang in there:sadhug2:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope she feels a bit better soon. That’s a lot you are coping with. Keep her warm (re illness and arthritis) and I wouldn’t spray her when she’s so obviously sick for the moment.

Interestingly my new vet has just put elderly Panama Amazon, Chico, on Tramadol for his arthritis.

Hang in there:sadhug2:
Just curious, what are the side effects of tramadol on birds? (I know the effects on humans, as I am a medical graduate)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Tramadol, because it is an opiate, will cause dependency if not watched closely. That is why it is usually prescribed in low doses and for shorter periods of time. It is an effective pain killer and is used quite often. One must be careful with the dosage, because just a small overdose can cause dizziness and sleepiness.

There is quite a lot of information about Tramadol on some of the medical sites although little about birds and tramadol.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Cndbirdy Be hopeful. Liver disease can be reversed, depending on which disease they have and how far along it is. We reversed liver disease on my male GW, Hank, (horribly swollen liver pushing his other organs around and suppressing his lung function). We did this with diet and Milk Thistle.