• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Determining my 8 months old budgie gender.

demhahero

Moving in
Real Name
Afera Donkson
Hello everyone, hope you are all doing well.
Could anyone tell me whether my budgie is male or female?
S/He is 8 months old. Her/His cere is medium pink with some white around the nostrils. Please, have a look at the attached pictures.

Thank you.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Lady Jane @Ripshod are both really good at sexing budgies so hopefully one of them will be along soon to tell you their thoughts :)

Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

demhahero

Moving in
Real Name
Afera Donkson
Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated. Would love to hear from others as well :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You have a male Recessive Pied, his cere will always be pink. Congratulations.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Agree with male. Pink is male in the budgie world.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I would say female since my budgie has a pink/brown cere and she laid eggs earlier this year which helped to confirm what I already knew. She's maybe a little over a year old now. Males usually have a blue cere.

demhahero

Moving in
Real Name
Afera Donkson
I would say female since my budgie has a pink/brown cere and she laid eggs earlier this year which helped to confirm what I already knew. She's maybe a little over a year old now. Males usually have a blue cere.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I would totally agree with you, brown/tan means female in general even a little, I have a hen with a crusty cere. Blues, on the other hand, are related to males, especially, royal blue color. However, according to different sources, mutations, i.e. recessive pied, have pink cere during their entire life.

In my case, the budgie has a pink cere with a small white spot. I was 90% sure he is a male as the pet store was putting him with males, but he did not explicitly mention the budgie is male and I did not ask him about his gender. The budgie demonstrates typical male behaviors; I know budgie behaviours cannot confirm his gender. Anyways, this whitish area around the nostrils makes me hesitate.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
So gorgeous! I have a little hen with the same colouring!

demhahero

Moving in
Real Name
Afera Donkson
Ouch, recessive pied is very confusing. Really hard to differentiate between males and females.

demhahero

Moving in
Real Name
Afera Donkson
This is my little hen, I think she has similar colouring!
Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous hen picture. I think her cere is white rather than pink. Anyways, she is wonderful, and you are a lucky owner. :heart: :heart:

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous hen picture. I think her cere is white rather than pink. Anyways, she is wonderful, and you are a lucky owner. :heart: :heart:

It was a pleasure!

We are definitely lucky- we love our sweet, cheeky and ridiculously stubborn little hen!