• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Destruction

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
80BE351B-8819-42C1-896F-F25547D5358D.jpeg
So.... Pepe destroyed the wall. This is the worst he has ever destroyed anything in the house. I blame myself because I left him alone. I learned my lesson. Usually he enjoys looking out the window quietly but I guess he got bored.... anyways my question is will he be ok? Do I need to worry about him ingesting any? Do you think it’s possible he ate any of it? What should I do?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Wow! That's alot of destruction! Maybe @Mizzely or @Shezbug could help, don't really know who to tag on this

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would block his access and try to provide something better for him to chew. Ripley has chewed my window sills, door frames, ceiling beams, base boards... Destruction is totally a natural behavior and they are unlikely to eat it.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
How old is your house?

My biggest concern would be lead based paint. If your home is over 50 years old, I would see if you can get a paint chip tested for lead. If it is less than 25 years old, then it is unlikely to have any lead based paints, so I wouldn't worry.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Rule of thumb I just learned in my new journey of purchasing a home. Any house build in 1978 and older are at risk for lead paint. Some current homes may have so many layers of paint that it is covered up. I would send away for testing for lead and/or have them come and check.

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
Well I guess I don't have to worry about the lead paint because my house was painted 2 yrs ago

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yeah, it is better to go by the age of the building, rather than the last time it was painted, because people rarely strip away all the old paint when it is time to repaint. Unless it is badly peeling or damaged, you can paint a new layer over the older layers. Some old houses have dozens of accumulated paint layers from many decades of repainting.

Newer construction should not have any lead paint or asbestos. Older houses might.

In the USA, it would be houses built before 1978. In other countries, it might be different. If you think your home could have lead paint, you can get it tested. Lead paint isn't just dangerous to birds. The dust can be breathed in and harm children, adults, and other animals living in the home.

Last edited:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Awesome. You shouldn't need to worry in that case.

The house I grew up in was built in 1916. So I know a few things about lead paint and really old wiring.

Anyone seen knob and tube wiring? Not what you want to find when you remodel your bedroom.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some older homes also have asbestos in and behind walls i think. @JLcribber