• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Desperate!

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah same here, nothing sweet, mushy or wet for Preeno! I may have some luck having it on my finger but usually he just head bobs at it and flys away :roflmao:
Their food bowls are right near my desk so such 'disgusting' offerings are usually met with the following:
  1. "Yippee! Seed! Let's goooooo!"
  2. "What ON EARTH is that monstrosity?" *crests at full mast*
  3. "Let me take a close look..." *tiely side eye, crest full mast*
  4. "Hey what's the big idea huh? Are you trying to poison us? Huh? Well I ain't eating this"
  5. For the next few hours: "WE WANT SEED! WE WANT SEED! TIEL RIGHTS!"
:ohdrama:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have friends overseas who could help you ship products over?

I feel like you're going in the right direction though! The fact that they eat some is better than none! I can't remember who it was here that said it took their bird 2 years before it finally ate veggies :wacky:
Yep, almost 2 years for Ripley to eat fresh foods! He's still not 100% but he's definitely trying more than he used to. I make him forage for all his dry food, save pellets I prefer him to eat and his chop. He has to work for "fruity pebbles" or he can have better stuff for free ;)

Flokirocks

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzan
Their food bowls are right near my desk so such 'disgusting' offerings are usually met with the following:
  1. "Yippee! Seed! Let's goooooo!"
  2. "What ON EARTH is that monstrosity?" *crests at full mast*
  3. "Let me take a close look..." *tiely side eye, crest full mast*
  4. "Hey what's the big idea huh? Are you trying to poison us? Huh? Well I ain't eating this"
  5. For the next few hours: "WE WANT SEED! WE WANT SEED! TIEL RIGHTS!"
:ohdrama:
Well, here I also get it in pretty obvious "what 'ya doin' to me"-way.....
it strolls to the bowl *crest flat* , keeps 1 eye on me and 1 on the contents of the of the bowl.
While still having 1 eye clinged to me, it very cousciously takes 1(!) pellet in her beak (still 1 eye clinged to me), taps it's tongue against the pellet
(that eye is still focussed at me and looking a bit angrily now), turns head, spits pellet out and goes sitting.....
with the back turned against me :sigh:

clarousel

Yep, almost 2 years for Ripley to eat fresh foods! He's still not 100% but he's definitely trying more than he used to. I make him forage for all his dry food, save pellets I prefer him to eat and his chop. He has to work for "fruity pebbles" or he can have better stuff for free ;)
Same! No more free seeds. I try to hide them but he gets to them so well... he started ignoring his pellets but he'll eat them if I'm around so not too bad... gotta make harder foraging toys!

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
what you could do is mash up the pellets and create a flour to put in birdie bread

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Haha thanks for all the replies, I’ll try all those tips! My birds also scream, @Khizz :) they go on pellet strike!

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Celebrate!!!!! Pastel is eating some pellets after they had seeds all night (the empty shells were covering the top of their seed dish this morning). I’m so happy he’s eating them! Hopefully the others follow his lead....

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
@Mizzely - by beetroot, do you mean the entire beet? I know it depends on where you are, and I can’t find any information on it

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Gave them chop today.... very loud screaming!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Not eating fruit -- Isn't it crazy?? :D

I have mine eating really well (I think). They eat their Zupreem natural pellets just fine. They eat original nutriberries. They eat anything green I hang in the cage. They eat rice. They have eaten chop with carrots, broccoli, peppers, collard greens, zuchini. They eat corn right off the cob.
They are eating the birdie bread I just made for the first time.

They will.not.touch. anything resembling a fruit. Not even the sweet potato chunks I put in their chop this batch, or the dried coconut in their seed mix!
I rolled a bit of banana in seeds. They threw it. I chopped up a cherry to look like their chopped peppers.. they ate every scrap of food around it and did not touch the cherry bits. I put dried papaya in their birdie bread I just made. They pick it out.
I bought nutriberries with fruit in them.. they threw them, repeatedly. I kept fighting it and now they pick the seeds out but still drop the fruit.

I know they don't need fruit.. the only reason I keep trying is because I have no training treats outside of millet -_-
I need a "higher value" treat to work on getting them to come to me when I need them to.. but with fruit a complete no-go I have no options left lol.
For some reason they will eat their millet, seed, and even pellets happily from my hand.. but if I pick up a veggie (which they already like) and offer it by hand they act like I pulled a knife.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They will.not.touch. anything resembling a fruit. Not even the sweet potato chunks I put in their chop this batch, or the dried coconut in their seed mix!
I rolled a bit of banana in seeds. They threw it. I chopped up a cherry to look like their chopped peppers.. they ate every scrap of food around it and did not touch the cherry bits. I put dried papaya in their birdie bread I just made. They pick it out.
If they’re budgies, it’s pretty normal that they don’t like fruits, they prefer greens and veggies.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
I just got Kaladin eating pellets today!
I've kept them mixed in with his seed for a few days, and yesterday I had the idea to not offer any seed in his cage. I set a bowl of seed over by his playstand, brought him over and let him eat some. I then put some pellets in his bowl. He had already been taking them from my hand and crunching them up, but he wasn't eating them. (I leave the cage open practically all day, and I brought him over to the bowl every once in a while to make sure he wasn't hungry).
Well, today, when I was getting ready for the day, I closed the cage. When I came back about 45 minutes later, I saw him mucking around in the bowl and crunching on some pellets. I checked his poop, and they were all a normal size. When he moved away from the bowl, I took him over to the bowl of seeds. He only ate four or five, then hopped up onto his playstand! Soon I'll hopefully be able to switch out the seed by the playstand with pellets and only use seed for training and foraging! (I'm very excited, if you can't tell).
I've also been adding some pellets into his chop for quite a while, and he's sort of picked at those.
I currently am using Top's. They are really soft and easy to crunch up. I've been breaking them into smaller pieces to help encourage Kaladin to eat them.
Keep on exposing your birds to the pellets! You'll get there!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Keep on exposing your birds to the pellets! You'll get there!
Basically true about everything related to birds, I think :)
I get jealous of people with bigger parrots who want to share food.. my little budgies are like "millet or moveit lady" regarding anything in my hand/not in their dish.
When they are nearby I always offer them bits of whatever I have anyway, but they look at me like I'm nuts.

Until yesterday when one of them actually came to try the tiniest nibble of a peanut cookie. He realized it wasn't a pellet and shook his head at me, but I will have to stop offering them junk now if they're actually going to try it :roflmao: