• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Desperate for guidance (sad update #10)

Lilise13

Moving in
My 8/9 week cockatiel is starting to refuse formula...I have been hand feeding 3x/day ~7-9cc per feeding. I’ve had her for two weeks now and she’s very active and flies around a lot. I figured she wanted to wean since for the last week she would only take 5-6cc at breakfast and lunch. She won’t eat seeds (bird love) but she goes to town on millet. I’ve been giving her quinoa mixed with formula with some success as well as dark leafy greens (broccoli and Swiss chard). Over the last two days she has dropped 2 grams and I can feel her keel. I fear she may be underweight as well since she only weighs 72 grams. She’s a pretty relaxed bird but active and playful. Still a bit whiny around feeding times with head bobbing but she insists on refusing formula. I fear I can’t trust her to get enough nutrition on her own so I’ve had to force the last few cc per feeding for fear she’s wasting away. She’s very attached to me and comfortable with her home. What should I do? Is this normal? I appreciate any help. I’m very worried about her. Feedings are getting very stressful for me as well as seeing her look a bit bony.
Her name is Ember...she’s really a very sweet bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If she is not eating enough during her feeds and refusing formula, drop down to 2 feeds per day (morning and night, or lunch and night).

Then between feeds, offer different foods, veggies, pellets, treats. If she enjoys millet, let her at it.

Remember she is more likely to try new foods right after her formula so be sure to offer her adult foods after.

Lilise13

Moving in
If she is not eating enough during her feeds and refusing formula, drop down to 2 feeds per day (morning and night, or lunch and night).

Then between feeds, offer different foods, veggies, pellets, treats. If she enjoys millet, let her at it.

Remember she is more likely to try new foods right after her formula so be sure to offer her adult foods after.
I did try that the last two days and that’s when she dropped weight...before she was maintaining at best 74 g. Is this too small for her age? I see her pecking at everything I’m giving her but it doesn’t seem like she’s consuming much of it. I tried half portion lunches but she dropped weight in that time. I’m afraid she’ll get addicted to millet but I’m desperate at this point so I will keep a steady stream of it in there for her. I’ve ordered pellets (top’s) but they won’t arrive until Friday.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I cant remember - I think it’s only a little small for her age.

You can soak the millet too, it makes it easier to eat. Try making sprouts (sprouted seed, search the forum for tons of info) they have protein. The foods you are offering are good. You can also bake and mash a sweet potato, mix a little hard boiled egg into it — both are foods they usually love.

For that age I like to moisten pellet food and mash with a fork. Serve it warm, you could even mix a little formula into it.

Lilise13

Moving in
Breakfast did not go well today...she took 2cc of formula (struggle) and barely pecked at the steamed veg/quinoa/oatmeal/bean kitchen sink medley I made for her. Going at it on the millet currently. I suppose I will have to try again at lunch time :( At least she's holding steady at 72g. Can anyone tell me if force feeding is bad? Should I let her be and see if she loses more weight?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
YES FORCE FEEDING IS BAD. Don't try it.

Let her be. Keep lots of food that she likes around. Weigh every morning before you feed her. Also just a suggestion, i probably wouldnt give a baby beans. Did you try moistened pellets, maybe mixed with formula? Or any of the other foods? if the medley wasn't something she's used to I would be surprised if she ate it.

Reactions: tka

Lilise13

Moving in
YES FORCE FEEDING IS BAD. Don't try it.

Let her be. Keep lots of food that she likes around. Weigh every morning before you feed her. Also just a suggestion, i probably wouldnt give a baby beans. Did you try moistened pellets, maybe mixed with formula? Or any of the other foods? if the medley wasn't something she's used to I would be surprised if she ate it.
Pellets arrive Friday...I ordered them. Will definitely moisten them and try that. I have mixed formula with everything...she'll take a few bites from a spoon but gives up. She pecks at mashed foods but gives up as well. I'm going to try hard boiled egg at lunch. I'm so afraid she'll lose too much weight but I will try to let her be and just keep offering variety. I will keep everyone posted with her progress. This advice is sooo very much appreciated!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I know this is so frustrating. :(

Reactions: Ali

Lilise13

Moving in
Ember did not make it. She was hospitalized for refusal to eat and was found to have a bacterial and yeast infection. She didn’t respond to meds and suffered a gi shut down (no food or waste passing through her system). She began seizing and was put down today after only having her for a month. She was very special. Perhaps too sweet for this world. Thanks again to all who advised

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for your loss of sweet Ember.:sorrow: It’s very hard to loose a bird so young.
:sadhug2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm very sorry for your loss