• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Desperate for advice + support

Rhi

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

Thank you for having me :)

I have seen so many avian vets, spent thousands + thousands and still not got any answers. I was wondering if I could get some advice because this is driving me crazy and it is extremely upsetting seeing my bird being so uncomfortable, irritated and constantly itchy.

- He is 7 years old
- Itchy++++ for >6 months
- Itch seems to drive him crazy - consistently itching + preening (impacting on his sleep)
- Skin does not look dry/flakey but there is white dandruff looking debris that sheds off him and onto my shirt
- Black at tips of feathers
- Feather shaft weak and disintegrates easily - white and flakey
- Diet healthy - boiled + blended veges, fresh fruit + veges daily, small amount of Wombaroo dry mix.

Mood is otherwise normal.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
First which species of bird is this? Are you not feeding any pellets? Pellets and sunshine are the only sources of D3 (except supplements) which allows the adsorption of calcium Calcium is necessary for numerous metabolic functions, including heart and bones. Does your bird get enough Vit A - skin, mucous membranes and soft tissue.

Had never heard of the Wambaroo mix, but it appears it has adequate vitamin additives.

Has your vet done a skin scraping and culture to check for fungal or bacterial skin infections? Have you tried supplementing your bird wit Flax seed oil?

Mml

Checking out the neighborhood
Did your Avian Veteranary run a full blood panel - highly recommend so you can rule out any nutritional deficiencies.
Also, Take him into a shower on light spray or mist with spray bottle. If you watch the birds outside they play in puddle to get clean and adds moisture.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Welcome to the Avian Avenue! And sorry to hear. I'm wondering too if they're getting enough vitamin D (maybe adding some full-spectrum lighting if you don't already have that set up).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. What kind of bird do you have? Have their been any changes in his diet in the last 6 months?

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
What have the vets said. Even if they had no answer to what it is, they hopefully at least told you some of the things its not, which could help those who know your spicies in narrowing it down.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania