• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Desiring a mousebird

elanke

Moving in
Hi guys!
I am from South Africa, here where we have mousebirds in abundance.
2 years ago I picked up a baby mousebird in the middle of a storm. I took him home, hand-reared him and completely fell in love with him. However, I was still in high school and living with my parents then. They eventually persuaded me to take Snickers, my bird, to a wildlife rehabilitation place.
Now I have my own place and I desperately want a new bird. Since mousebirds are in abundance here I can't find any breeders, and I feel a bit uncomfortable with just plucking a baby out of a nest. Does anyone here maybe have any advice as to where I could find one?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@snada ?

Welcome to the Avenue! I've heard wonderful things about mousebirds. I hope you find one. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.
@Alet

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
:hello:
:welave:

I am also from South Africa! Down in KZN:fairy: good luck for you search for a mousebird! They are so delightful!:wideyed:

Alet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alet
Welcome! I had a sçary experience. Put my mousebird out in his csge everyday when I feed wildbirds. Went in house for something and when I came back his cage was turned over and he was gone.

I whistled the way I always do when he is out of his cage inside the house and he immefiately replied. Sitting high in a big bottlebrush. I moved the branches aside and called his name. He climbed down branch by branch untill I could reach him. He jumped onto my hand a bit shaken up.

So he really loves me!! Could have chosen to be free.
Next day I put him outside in cage and was watching all the time ànd next moment there was an Indianminor chasing him all around in his cage. So I think he is the one who overturned cage.

Hope you can find a mousebird. This is the most loving bird. Wants a lot of attention. Sometimes when I am cooking he will sit on my head. He just wants to try everything I eat.