• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Designing the Bird Room of My Dreams - Need Advise and Suggestions!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Greetings everyone!
It has been a long time since I last posted on Avian Avenue, but I have had a lot of exciting things going on in my life - the main one being that my husband and I just bought our dream home! :loveshower:

One my must haves when we were house hunting was to have a designated bird room for my three cockatiels. After renting apartments for almost 5 years, I wanted a space where I could hang branches and swings and such from the ceilings. It would truly be a room for them - seating will be included for humans to go visit, and a bird tree will still be in the living room for them to come out and visit us, but I want a space that designed entirely with their well-being and enrichment in mind.

In this house, there is this lovely sun room that I think could make a great bird room, but it certainly needs some safety-proofing before I put the birds in there, let alone allow them to fly about all day. I have attached some photos below.

I would love some advise and suggestions for making this space a safe, bird-friendly space.

20210910_183602.jpg 20210910_183608.jpg 20210910_183637.jpg

Some of my initial concerns include:
  1. Temperature control
    1. Insulation: Although this sun room is fully enclosed, it does not seem to be insulated the same as the rest of the house. When we first visited this house in the summer, the sun room was noticeably warmer than the rest of the house, so I don’t think these are insulated walls. Since I ultimately want to be able to use this room year-round (not just when the outdoor temperatures allow), I will likely want to insulate the walls in some way.
    2. Heating: Right now, there are eclectic baseboard heaters in this room. This is the only room in the house that has eclectic baseboard heaters; the rest of the house has hydraulic baseboard heating. Eventually, I would like to upgrade to hydraulic radiant floor heating, but that will likely be a big expense and require extensive planning for the entire house. In the mean time though, I worry that eclectic baseboard heating would be unsafe for the birds, especially in terms of feathers and dust as a potential fire hazard.
    3. Cooling: The only cooling method is a ceiling fan, which I know my birds will want to fly on and mess with, so ideally I would like this fan removed. I do have window air conditioning units for hotter summer months that would probably be more efficient anyway. However, I have also looked into getting a dual mini-split system, but am not sure if it would be work the money.
  2. Windows
    1. I plan on using decals and hanging rope nets over the windows. I still want there to be a ton of lovely natural light while also preventing my birds from flying into the windows and hurting themselves.
    2. I would also love to hang enrichment items from the ceiling, but it is sloped. Any advise on hanging bird swings and branches from a sloped ceiling?
    3. Eventually, I would love to include automated blinds so that the room is nice and dark at night for the birds.
  3. Sliding glass door/porch
    1. I would absolutely love to have an outdoor deck aviary coming out from this sliding glass door. This aviary would be wonderful for warm weather as an easy way to get the birds some fresh air and sunshine. I have been doing a ton of research on aviaries, and I am unsure if I should build my own deck aviary or order one from a company such as Corners Limited. (This could probably be a thread of its own though)
  4. Walls
    1. I would love to use something that is easy to clean, and although this wood paneling is very pretty, I am not sure how will it would hold up to bird mess.
    2. I love the wood panels that Flock Talk has in her bird room but can’t seem to figure out where to buy those.
    3. I have also considered tile, kinda like the Parrot Wizard’s bird room, but I don’t want this room feeling like a dungeon.

As of right now, my birds are staying with my parents while my husband and I get moved into the house, but even after we move the birds in, I can keep them in a spare bedroom or the living room for the time being while I transform this space from sun room into a bird room. That being said, the sooner I can have the birds move into this dream space, the better!

Any advise or suggestions would be so very much appreciated!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That's awesome! Wonderful to see you post, again, I remember your birds. I bet they will enjoy that room a lot. I am gonna use a type of paint in my bird room that is supposed to be water proof and easy to clean, and on one side I am considering a kind of plastic cover. I am not sure we have the same products available, but you might find something similar. I would put screens in the windows if they are not already there, perhaps SS steel wire, so the birds can catch some (supervised) Sunrays. But if you are building an aviary it might not be that much of an addition.
In my room I am going to put heavy wooden bars(I am sorry I can't seem to find the proper English word) over the ceiling. Attach it to the walls on both sides, and then I will be able to drill as many holes for hooks as I need. You could use a triangle shaped wooden bar I think. I hope you understand what I mean! Have fun designing a bird paradise:)

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
That's awesome! Wonderful to see you post, again, I remember your birds. I bet they will enjoy that room a lot. I am gonna use a type of paint in my bird room that is supposed to be water proof and easy to clean, and on one side I am considering a kind of plastic cover. I am not sure we have the same products available, but you might find something similar. I would put screens in the windows if they are not already there, perhaps SS steel wire, so the birds can catch some (supervised) Sunrays. But if you are building an aviary it might not be that much of an addition.
In my room I am going to put heavy wooden bars(I am sorry I can't seem to find the proper English word) over the ceiling. Attach it to the walls on both sides, and then I will be able to drill as many holes for hooks as I need. You could use a triangle shaped wooden bar I think. I hope you understand what I mean! Have fun designing a bird paradise:)
It is good to hear from you too! I remember your flock as well. It is good to come back and see some familiar names. :laugh:

Sounds you also have an awesome vision for your dream bird room as well! That waterproof paint sounds interesting, and it would probably a good option if I can save this wood paneling (thought I am unsure if it would survive adding insulation or not).

I also really like the idea of hanging banisters or beams as a solution for the sloped ceiling. I think that could add a really interesting dimension to the bird room while also allowing me to hang more branches and swings from the ceiling and such. :D

I feel like the screened windows would be a good safety precaution, if nothing else. My husband does love opening windows when the weather is nice, and it would be nice to have a way of safely airing out the bird room. It would also be good to have in the meantime before we are able to get the aviary up.

These were all such helpful suggestions. Thank you so much! :marlenesmile:

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A few ideas: Some are surely going to be pricey, but will last a long time.

Replace the windows with casement crank out windows that have inside removable screens. Not cheap, but I really like mine.
Attach 2x4's above the windows running across the room. To those you can attach many swings, boings, toys, etc..
Cover window frames & sills with plexiglass or you could use white aluminum trim coil.
You could put plexighlass or acrylic panels over the walls to protect the wood.
Put plastic boxes over the heater wall control, etc..
Take the ceiling fan down.
The deck floor can be replaced using tongue & groove composite deck flooring or a large piece of vinyl flooring over top of the deck floor.
If you google outside aviary for cockatiels you'll find many pre-made aviaries.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
A few ideas: Some are surely going to be pricey, but will last a long time.

Replace the windows with casement crank out windows that have inside removable screens. Not cheap, but I really like mine.
Attach 2x4's above the windows running across the room. To those you can attach many swings, boings, toys, etc..
Cover window frames & sills with plexiglass or you could use white aluminum trim coil.
You could put plexighlass or acrylic panels over the walls to protect the wood.
Put plastic boxes over the heater wall control, etc..
Take the ceiling fan down.
The deck floor can be replaced using tongue & groove composite deck flooring or a large piece of vinyl flooring over top of the deck floor.
If you google outside aviary for cockatiels you'll find many pre-made aviaries.
Thank you so much for this list of suggestions! My husband and I are thinking of this home as our forever home, and I can't imagine my life at any point without birds as companions, so I am willing to invest in this space to help it stay in good shape for a long time. :D

I love those types of windows! My mom who is currently bird sitting while my husband and I move everything has those in her study, which is where the birds are currently located. They are so easy to use and super convenient! I would not have thought of that, but that is a great tip!

For the 2x4s, do you mean attaching them directly to the wall above the windows or having them going across the room? I appreciate this suggestion, but am trying to envision it.

The plexiglass to protect the walls is also a great idea! I do love the way the wood looks, but definitely want to be able to easily wash down the walls.

For the outlets and heater wall control, I was thinking of using those outdoor cover caps. Do think that would work?

I also really like that idea for the deck floor! I was a little stumped with what to do with it so that it would be easy to clean with an aviary on it. Thank you!

For the aviary, I do think it will need some customization, as there is a sliding glass door from the bird room out, steps going down from the deck to the back yard, and a sliding glass door from the dining room as well. I do still want to be able to use these entries and exits when the birds are not in the aviary - hence why I think I am out of luck in terms of pre-made aviaries.

Again, thank you so much for your suggestions!!! You offered a lot of solutions that I never would have thought of on my own! :shy:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
You could also build a frame around the ceiling and hang fine wire or netting, so the fan can stay and move the air around but the birds can’t reach it, arbrite panels that can be used as a shower wall could also be used on the wood, they come in 8 x 4 sheets, and found at hardware store. Put up with screws where you want them and so easy to clean, or spray down…window screening over windows, come in a roll so cut to size required….

Wish I could have a bird room! Live in an apt so not going to happen… :banghead:

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much for this list of suggestions! My husband and I are thinking of this home as our forever home, and I can't imagine my life at any point without birds as companions, so I am willing to invest in this space to help it stay in good shape for a long time. :D

For the 2x4s, do you mean attaching them directly to the wall above the windows or having them going across the room? I appreciate this suggestion, but am trying to envision it.
Put them across the room. Attach them above the windows & run them across the room to another window frame. Thgen you can add swings, boing, ropes, nets, etc., to the bottom of the 2x4's. I'd use eye screws in the 2x4's to hang stuff using quick links then.

The plexiglass to protect the walls is also a great idea! I do love the way the wood looks, but definitely want to be able to easily wash down the walls.
It could be bathroom panels, or clear plexiglass/acrylic panels. I can tell you my B&G Macaw (she's only 1 year & 5 months old) would have that room destroyed in a few days. I'd have to line it from floor to ceiling with stainless steel. NO kidding. Today she figured out how to open a feeder door & tossed her food crock out. It hit the seed skirt with a loud bang & ended up in the bottom tray. She's very destructive, unlike my last B&G Macaw was.

For the outlets and heater wall control, I was thinking of using those outdoor cover caps. Do think that would work?
They should.

I also really like that idea for the deck floor! I was a little stumped with what to do with it so that it would be easy to clean with an aviary on it. Thank you!
I saw one aviary where they had a big black rubber mat. That may work too.

For the aviary, I do think it will need some customization, as there is a sliding glass door from the bird room out, steps going down from the deck to the back yard, and a sliding glass door from the dining room as well. I do still want to be able to use these entries and exits when the birds are not in the aviary - hence why I think I am out of luck in terms of pre-made aviaries.
Custom made will be the way to go then. I'd suggest a double door system. Protection in case a bird tries to land on you while going out. OR you could buy a pre-made aviary & add to it.

Again, thank you so much for your suggestions!!! You offered a lot of solutions that I never would have thought of on my own! :shy:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Awesome! Thank you so much for the clarification! This has been very helpful. :D

For the aviary, a double door system is a must-have for me - even if it sacrifices a bit of usable aviary space, I know I will have way better peace of mind with a double door system!

Oh my gosh - trying to imagine a macaw just going crazy chewing the wall of this room! Your macaw would probably thing the wood panels were put up just for her as a giant chewable playhouse! :rofl:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
You could also build a frame around the ceiling and hang fine wire or netting, so the fan can stay and move the air around but the birds can’t reach it, arbrite panels that can be used as a shower wall could also be used on the wood, they come in 8 x 4 sheets, and found at hardware store. Put up with screws where you want them and so easy to clean, or spray down…window screening over windows, come in a roll so cut to size required….

Wish I could have a bird room! Live in an apt so not going to happen… :banghead:
Hmmm. That is a thought, but one of the things I love about this room is the higher ceilings. I would want to be able to utilize the vertical space, so the fan has gotta go! :smuggrin:

I'll have to look more into those arbirite panels - sounds like that might be a nice way of protecting the walls!

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

After living in apartments for several years now, I feel your pain. :(

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
For the windows you could use black out curtains for the night time, and clear shower curtains if you wanted added protection from them flying into the windows

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
For the windows you could use black out curtains for the night time, and clear shower curtains if you wanted added protection from them flying into the windows
I have read that curtains aren't recommended when you use electric baseboard heating, but I was looking into getting blackout blinds to help them sleep at night. :cantsleep:

7UP

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Antonio Camilo
Congratulations to you,your husband and flock on your new home.I wish you all the best and keep us posted.