• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

depressed lineolated parakeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
I am worried about Lenny. A few days ago his budgie mate passed away. He was playful, and very vocal, but now just sits. He is not interested in anything. I know he needs time, but we still want to brighten his life somehow. He does not care for hands, or being petted, so playing with him can be hard because I dont want to scare him. He will sit on my finger, and I can give him kisses, but he does not seem to enjoy it, just tolerates it. I played some linnie videos on utube, then thought this may be a bad idea. He perked up, but I am worried he got upset as he was calling to the bird, but it never answered.
For those who have had a mourning bird, how long was the process? What did you do to help if anything?
He just sits in his happy tent and watches the other birdees. The tent used to be for sleeping, but now he is always in it, looking out sadly waiting for her to come back, and she cant. I wish I could explain it to him. He is so sweet. It is breaking my heart all over again.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I haven't had a mourning bird, but I have read about Linnies who have lost their buddy. Give him time, talk to him softly...he'll come around. I wouldn't play the Linnie sounds for him...it may upset him more. Poor little guy!

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I also do not have any experience with a mourning bird but maybe bringing his cage somewhere close where all the family activity is happening would help.

I am sorry he has to go through this and I understand how difficult it must be for you to see him that way.

Have you ever thought about bringing home another linnie?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I haven't had a mourning bird, but I have read about Linnies who have lost their buddy. Give him time, talk to him softly...he'll come around. I wouldn't play the Linnie sounds for him...it may upset him more. Poor little guy!

I agree, talk to him, maybe play music for him (my birds love that). I also wouldn't play Linnie sounds for him. That is so sad. I can't imagine seeing my Argyle sad, I'm sorry for you guys:hug8:

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
He is in the action of our home. There is a lot going on around him, but he does not care. There is really no bird community here, I have no idea where to find another one.

I do feel bad about playing the linnie video...I wont do it again. We will keep playing with him.

Do you think I should take his happy tent? I wonder if I remove it if he will be more motivated to play, since he cant lounge. He litterally LAYS in it, his head resting on the opening. But maybe now it is his only comfort.

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Awww! I'm so sorry! I have had a depressed tiel, and it sounds like food may be best! maybe spoil him with his favorite foods, lol, a little indulgence always cheers everyone up a little. A nice warm spray/bowl bath? with nice relaxing music, everyone loves classical music here. I always play it to calm them down.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do you think I should take his happy tent? I wonder if I remove it if he will be more motivated to play, since he cant lounge. He litterally LAYS in it, his head resting on the opening. But maybe now it is his only comfort.
No IMO. He will grieve just like we would. Only time will heal his heart and you need to give him that time. It won't last as long as it would with us. They do grieve but they also live much more in the moment and will move on. Another bird will not be his buddy but a strange bird. Once he is over his buddy you can think of getting him another one but he needs to grieve. You can't fix that. JMHO

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

No, please don't take his tent away. I think he is grieving and you just have to let it happen. I would let him get through this however he needs to. As long as he is eating, just support him:hug8:

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
Poor Lenny, I am so sad for him. :(

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
"He is in the action of our home. There is a lot going on around him, but he does not care. There is really no bird community here, I have no idea where to find another one......."
Do you mind saying approx. where you are located? Where did you get Lenny? Just curious but respect your privacy if you do not care to answer those questions.

I would get him a playmate of his own species if there was any way I could find one or have one safely shipped to me. Good luck.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Like us humans the birds go through an emotional phase of grieving and it is only time that is going to heal. Keep things as he is used to and don't try to push it with him, give him time.
When he is ready to move on he will give you a sign and then you can introduce him to a new playmate. Doing it too soon will not be a good idea and could cause him to reject the new companion as he will not be ready tomove on.
Jay was grieving for his old previous owner for a long time and is only now showing signs of coming out of it. He was taken from her last June, spent a disatrous month away and then came back to me in July with all the baggage that came with him by then. We are still working through issues with him and at times I have felt so near to throwing in the towel, but love him to much to give up on him just yet. Good luck, let him do his grieving but let him know you are there with lots of love and treats for when he wants company. God bless.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.