• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dented egg..help please

Rio&Molly19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsey
im so sad.. my molly laid another egg earlier this morning. everything seemed great until i checked on the eggs a few minutes ago. It has some serious dents but is not cracked open. should i leave it or take it out? Im honestly so sad that this eggy wont make it..

Attachments

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
im so sad.. my molly laid another egg earlier this morning. everything seemed great until i checked on the eggs a few minutes ago. It has some serious dents but is not cracked open. should i leave it or take it out? Im honestly so sad that this eggy wont make it..
Looks like Molly isn't getting enough calcium. Does she have cuttle bone? What is she eating? Could you feed her calcium rich foods, like broccoli? Birds use a lot of calcium to form their egg shells, if they dont have enough the eggs come out squishy.

Also just noticed we're in the same town! That's a first for me!

Rio&Molly19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsey
I had a cuttle bone but my male tiel knocked it down and one of them ended up pooping on it so i threw it away. i have to get a new one. i made them some bird bread with veggies fruit and grinded up egg shells.. molly has been eating it. but im worried now since she laid this last egg. the first egg is perfect.. this second one not so much :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your bird has a very serious problem. If she lays another egg it could kill her because that egg is severly deformed from lack of nutrition. More specifically calcium. At this point she needs to see a vet and get an injectable shot of calcium.

What is your bird's diet?

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I had a cuttle bone but my male tiel knocked it down and one of them ended up pooping on it so i threw it away. i have to get a new one. i made them some bird bread with veggies fruit and grinded up egg shells.. molly has been eating it. but im worried now since she laid this last egg. the first egg is perfect.. this second one not so much :(
You will probably need a vet. Avian exotic animal clinic is the best in town. They do emergency appointments, I took Dexter there for his surgery and they were amazing. I don't know your age, so you may be too young to make that call. To get more cuttle bone, you can go to bird fever, they have it in bulk I do believe. They might also have advice.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Agreed. It'
Your bird has a very serious problem. If she lays another egg it could kill her because that egg is severly deformed from lack of nutrition. More specifically calcium. At this point she needs to see a vet and get an injectable shot of calcium.
Agreed. It's too late to feed calcium via diet. She needs some medical intervention faster than ASAP. We're not exaggerating, this is life and death. The next egg could kill her.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Agreed. It'

Agreed. It's too late to feed calcium via diet. She needs some medical intervention faster than ASAP. We're not exaggerating, this is life and death.
In this case, I recommend avian exotic animal clinic on waldemar (or some variation of that spelling) road. They have an emergency clinic.

Rio&Molly19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsey
with the way the roads are right now, i cant get to the vet. she just got up to eat, i just scrapped cuttle bone into her food.. currently making boiled eggs, and ordered some calcium that supposed to be here tuesday. she seems fine now. but idk ill keep an eye on her.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
with the way the roads are right now, i cant get to the vet. she just got up to eat, i just scrapped cuttle bone into her food.. currently making boiled eggs, and ordered some calcium that supposed to be here tuesday. she seems fine now. but idk ill keep an eye on her.
I can agree the roads are Very icy right now. I don't leave the house much so I didn't realize until you said th at and went to check.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As far as I know, the calcium in cuttlebone isn't very bioavailable. You'd be better off with eggs, leafy green vegetables and (possibly) a tiny bit of lactose-free yoghurt.

Rio&Molly19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsey
Thank you guys so much. I talked to a very experienced breeder and she said to take the dented egg out before it breaks open. I'm about to give her some hard boiled eggs with the shell (grinded up)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Have the vet or a tech make a house call. This is serious. She needs a calcium shot

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Crossing my fingers for your little girl. :fingerscrossed:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That's called " a soft shell egg"..she needs calcium now, liquid form, cuttlefish bone, ground boiled egg shell,, calcium should be given year round, but, its tricky, too much can " calcify " the kidneys and liver, not enough and the body pulls it from the bones...lucky she passed it..sometimes they cant, and it's a huge nightmare..hope shes ok..