• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Delta Cargo shipping

birdlove70

Moving in
Does Delta Cargo (domestic U.S) require a health certificate from a vet to ship a bird? One phone rep said yes, another said it is not required in the U.S.... ????

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As of the last time I used it 5 years ago they did require it. I used AA I believe a few months ago and they required that and lots of other paperwork and even with that filled out there was still more once I got there and it took over an hour to get that done.

@Mizzely didn't you look up Delta when we weren't sure what airline Bosco would use?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, Delta does require it too. I think @Laurie uses Delta! As far as I know, all airlines will require it.

Screenshot_20230525-123406.png

birdlove70

Moving in
Thanks.. A breeder will be shipping the bird via Delta cargo. According to a Delta rep, if you are a breeder youre actually not shipping it as a "pet" and you dont need a health certificate. Another said you do.. !

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I ship through Delta Cargo and I do not list the birds as personal pets. They do not require a health certificate. I guess it’s a bit of splitting hairs because I breed them so they are technically not my pets but they will be pets to the people receiving them.

birdlove70

Moving in
I ship through Delta Cargo and I do not list the birds as personal pets. They do not require a health certificate. I guess it’s a bit of splitting hairs because I breed them so they are technically not my pets but they will be pets to the people receiving them.

birdlove70

Moving in
I was told by Delta that when i pick up all i need to show is the Waybill and my ID. Someone warned me to be prepared that they may ask me for sales receipt from the breeder, proof of ownership, transfer and possibly birth certificate!? Is this all a possibility?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was told by Delta that when i pick up all i need to show is the Waybill and my ID. Someone warned me to be prepared that they may ask me for sales receipt from the breeder, proof of ownership, transfer and possibly birth certificate!? Is this all a possibility?
When Shawna and I shipped Bosco from me to her they did say ID and Waybill for each of us. Hopefully @BrianB Can pop back on to let ya know.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
All I've ever needed to show when picking up a bird is the airway bill and a photo ID.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What species bird are you getting? Sounds exciting.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
As far as I know, Delta only takes animals from breeders, not personal pets. You do not need a health certificate.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Granted that I got Michael in 2009, but Delta required a health certificate back then for him to be shipped. One representative told me that it was to prove that the animal does not carry any zoonotic diseases (she did not say zoonotic, she said diseases transmittable to humans, but it is the same thing).