• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dehydrated Chop?

melissa68

Walking the driveway
So, I ordered chop from the vendor who shall not be named but my bird never liked it (baby) and then when things blew up I decided I wasn't going to feed it to him.

Well, yesterday I was opening packages to toss outside to the wildlife and he has decided he LOVES it (he snatched some from the deck railing).

Who else sells dried chop that will work for smaller birds?

I make my own mixed mash/chop mix but since he likes the dry stuff it would be nice to add some more variety to his diet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

melissa68

Walking the driveway
I looked at Avian Organics but everything I see says it's for medium and large birds. Am I missing 'for small birds' stuff?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
@Mizzely Which have you had the most success with? I'm looking to switch to a freeze dried or dehydrated chop instead of mixing myself, just because I can't seem to get the variety of ingredients I want without making huuuge batches that I struggle to get through.

I'm tempted by Christine's, just because they have a larger bag so that I'm not ordering frequently and paying shipping, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the potential nutritional difference between freeze dried and dehydrated.

What do?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely Which have you had the most success with? I'm looking to switch to a freeze dried or dehydrated chop instead of mixing myself, just because I can't seem to get the variety of ingredients I want without making huuuge batches that I struggle to get through.

I'm tempted by Christine's, just because they have a larger bag so that I'm not ordering frequently and paying shipping, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the potential nutritional difference between freeze dried and dehydrated.

What do?

Success with? Neither :lol: Ripley isn't fooled!

Nutritionally, freeze dried does retain more nutrients. They also require no preservatives, added color, or added sugar when marketed as a snack at the store!

Freeze dried also is better to eat dry, imo... It isn't rock hard out of the package, and to rehydrate it takes less water and less time. I am particularly fond of freeze dried blueberries out of the bag myself!

Dehydrated weighs more than an equivalent amount of freeze dried and really does shine best as a shelf stable option that you can grab and rehydrate in about 15 minutes with hot water. It's also great to add to oatmeal/mashes, or bird bread. I'm sure some birds do like it dry but it's not particularly enticing that way to a lot of them I don't think!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel

Success with? Neither :lol: Ripley isn't fooled!

Nutritionally, freeze dried does retain more nutrients. They also require no preservatives, added color, or added sugar when marketed as a snack at the store!

Freeze dried also is better to eat dry, imo... It isn't rock hard out of the package, and to rehydrate it takes less water and less time. I am particularly fond of freeze dried blueberries out of the bag myself!

Dehydrated weighs more than an equivalent amount of freeze dried and really does shine best as a shelf stable option that you can grab and rehydrate in about 15 minutes with hot water. It's also great to add to oatmeal/mashes, or bird bread. I'm sure some birds do like it dry but it's not particularly enticing that way to a lot of them I don't think!

Thanks so much! You're the best. :heart:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Organics also has or had, not sure to date...

Sprouts. The best "seed" you can give your fid!!!

Also the healthiest.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@melissa68 We carry our freeze dried goodies for both big beaks and for little beaks.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I am using Christines currently twice a week for variety. Birds like it and no complaints on her stuff. I did like Texas Freeze Dried more when I used it but more expensive. I did meet the owners of Texas Freeze Dried at AFA last year and really liked everything about their foods, sourcing and processing.