• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dehumidifier

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
It says semiconductor refrigeration technology.
This was a new one for me when I read "Peltier technology", but the things I read say it's inefficient in performance relative to the power it consumes for room-sized devices, and doesn't scale well, so the small units like that one a best suited for a closet. The technology is used in very small systems like camping coolers.

I would stick with compressor-based units and Frigidaire models always receives good reviews. They have a 22 pint model (FFAD2233W1) for your space which would work well, but the thing I'd always recommend with dehumidifiers is to buy the largest capacity you can afford. The benefit of the larger capacity units is the rate they're able to remove water from the air and this has a few advantages. They will run less frequently and can run at a lower fan speed (so they're quieter), but the larger units also have the additional capacity to deal with the occasional peak in demand. I think of air purifiers in the same way actually -- the larger units can be set to run at lower speed (keeping them quiet while still being effective), but are also ready to run on high if we have a smoky kitchen incident or something else which requires it.

AGS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ava
I can probably get that one you mentioned. I appreciate you checking that for me.

Also, I have been hesitant to run the heat but it was pretty cold this morning and I found out replacing the motor also fixed another issue. Before when I used to run it it would actually spike the humidity the first time it ran. After that it would go back to the previous reading but not lower it past that, or at least not significantly, but now it is definitely drying out the air.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
@AGS How’s everything going?

AGS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ava
It’s been okay, of course the heater broke again on the one day it snowed, and it rarely snows here. It didn’t burn this time, I guess one of the fuses blew so it just wouldn’t turn on but they fixed it within a few hours.

The humidity has been okay because the heater has been running, I’ve also been forced to run it overnight because it’s way too cold for Widget. But I’ll probably get the dehumidifier soon because there will be that transition period again where it’s too cold for AC and too warm for the heater and then there will be nothing drying the air.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I'm glad to hear everything getting better :hug8: