• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Defying Genetics?

AMBunny

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn
I am so confused...
I have a pair of lovies that make beautiful babies...but everything I have learned about genetics (and using the calculator) seems to be wrong.
I do not know the possible splits of these birds, I inherited them. I have always called mom a pallid (Australian Cinnamon) and dad a turquoise or aqua. (Pics attached)
Therefore I have always expected green babies that I wouldn't know the sex of...
But the green chicks aren't the bright green with bright rumps of a green series peach-faced. They are muted or cinnamon looking. Some of the rumps are bright, and other are dark and almost a lavender or grey....
I only have 6 babies over the past 2 years as a subjects...she only hatched 2 eggs each time she laid until recently, so 4 babies last year and 2 this year (up to the current clutch of 5 which will be her last for a while).
First 2 babies were green with a shiny cinnamon hue and brighter rumps.
2nd set 1 with an olive green body with a dark greyish rump (pic attached) and a yellow with a violet rump which I am assuming is a pallid male??
3rd set of babies were both green with the cinnamon hue and muted colors on the rump.

But she just hatched all 5 eggs she laid, and now that they are starting to show their colors (2+ weeks old)...I swear one of them looks pied! I am so confused and it has me wondering if I am wrong about mom and dad, or if they have splits that would make this outcome possible. The calculator doesn't even give pallid as a visual option, yet I have one and maybe one in this clutch.
Anyone have any thoughts? Corrections?
Is my assumption that the pallid offspring have to be males wrong?
Are all green offspring female? Or could they be either?
So confused!

Mom (Amari) and Dad (Azule)
20210716_132527.jpg 20210716_132550.jpg

Lemon and Lime these to terrors are my whole ❤ . They are the sweetest lovies I have ever raised. 20210716_133140.jpg 20210716_132955.jpg

Amari and Azule's first clutch of 5 chicks! They are doing a great job. Excuse their mess, I took the pic right before I cleaned. ☺
20210716_132827.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
These chicks muted colours are caused by dark factor passed on from the parents.
That second chick there is gorgeous!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Very pretty lovies!

AMBunny

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn
These chicks muted colours are caused by dark factor passed on from the parents.
That second chick there is gorgeous!
Is there any way to know which parent (or if both) have dark factor?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Oh, gorgeous birds!!! I love them! :swoon: Sorry, I'm not very good with genetics, but I just wanted to say how pretty they are!