• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Deep cut on the tongue

:)C&B

Walking the driveway
Hi and sorry to bother you. Yesterday when I wasn't in the bird room and came back a while after, my budgie KiKi had blood all over his beak and there was blood everywhere. I assumed he was spitting blood, however when I rushed him to an avian vet, he said he had a very deep cut on the tongue. He mentioned it had stopped bleed and he made sure there was no blood in his windpipe.However he has lost a lot a blood. The avian vet told me there wasn't much to except keeping him warm and quiet unless he bleeds again.
When I took him he wasn't eating at all due to the blood taste on his beak. I gave millet and his favourite and he is still no eating due to the blood taste.
I considered giving his beak a clean, however I was scared I would open his wound.
Do you have any suggestions of how to get him to try eat some food?
Thank you for reading and sorry for the long post.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Is he accepting water or any other fluids?

That's a key step and may also gently cleanse things a little if it's a taste issue, but I suspect it's probably a pain issue.

Did your vet prescribe pain medication?

What soft foods does KiKi enjoy?

I'd try smashing small amounts of fruits like banana or mango (whatever he enjoys) or even softened pellets.

Do you have a means to weigh KiKi so you can monitor his weight during recovery?

Walking the driveway
Is he accepting water or any other fluids?

That's a key step and may also gently cleanse things a little if it's a taste issue, but I suspect it's probably a pain issue.

Did your vet prescribe pain medication?

What soft foods does KiKi enjoy?

I'd try smashing small amounts of fruits like banana or mango (whatever he enjoys) or even softened pellets.

Do you have a means to weigh KiKi so you can monitor his weight during recovery?
He is not accepting any fluid
The vet did not prescribe any medication.
Kiki like egg.

Walking the driveway
For weight we were told not to take Kiki out of his travel to limit movement so we haven't weight him.
Thanks!
He is not accepting any fluid
The vet did not prescribe any medication.
Kiki like egg.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I would explain the situation to your vet and ask them about pain meds or whatever other remedy they suggest for not eating and drinking with a tongue injury.

Also clarify how long Kiki should be isolated for and whether movement to monitor his weight while he's not eating or drinking would be appropriate.

Has egg been offered?

Is there food and water in his travel cage and is it possible you just haven't witnessed him consuming them?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Have you located the source of the injury in your bird room?

Walking the driveway
I would explain the situation to your vet and ask them about pain meds or whatever other remedy they suggest for not eating and drinking with a tongue injury.

Also clarify how long Kiki should be isolated for and whether movement to monitor his weight while he's not eating or drinking would be appropriate.

Has egg been offered?

Is there food and water in his travel cage and is it possible you just haven't witnessed him consuming them?
I have offered egg, but he didn't eat any, however some good news is he has drunk some water and ate two seeds. There is water and food in his travel cage.

Walking the driveway
Have you located the source of the injury in your bird room?
I think he got bit by another budgie, I will separate them once he heals. I think this as there was blood on the other budgie cere. Thank you so much for your help and concerns!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Great news :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Good to hear he’s eating.

I think it’s very important you separate them straight away if another one has caused this injury.