• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Decorative Shred

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey folks,

I'm wondering if you guys could help me figure out if the dyes used in colored decorative shreds are safe for birds? I'd love to have some on hand to change it up for Paulie's homemade toys. He's always just got the brown color and he really perks up when I buy him toys with lots of colors.
I tried shopping for bird safe decorative shred but I think maybe I'm not using the right keywords in my search because I'm having a hard time confirming the safety of the colors. Could anyone help?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Is this what you are looking for?

Buying from one of AA's vendors is usually a safe bet. Several of them sell shreddable toy parts so you can build your own toys or foraging options.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it's just paper shred, it should be safe.

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Is this what you are looking for?

Buying from one of AA's vendors is usually a safe bet. Several of them sell shreddable toy parts so you can build your own toys or foraging options.
YES! Thank you so much! :D

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
I can’t imagine that any vendor can guarantee the colors in the paper shred are “food safe”. Nor can they guarantee the paper is safe to consume. However, I’ve never seen a bird actually eat the paper. They generally just go crazy yanking it out of whatever you poked it into. The birdie-reverse-action on the human effort! Lol!

If you think your parrotlet is consuming any of it, I’d try to find out why + only use natural. You can always put natural into a brightly colored acrylic stuffable toy.