• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Deciding what bird would be a good fit?

OliviaFall

Moving in
Real Name
Olivia Fallahee
I’ve had birds for years, Smallest being my bourkes, Budgies, linnies. Largest being my African Greys, a white ringneck dove, and a rock dove/pigeon. As far as mess goes? All messy, in different ways and some of the same ways. According to what you are looking for, I would truly recommend the pigeon if you are wanting a bigger bird. Yes, a bit dusty, poop, feathers, etc. but mine is the quietest I have, she makes her pigeon noises but the loudness of it is minimal compared to my dove, and definitely compared to my parrots. She is a wonderful, loving soul, she wears a Flyper when loose in my home for exercise, loves to be with us, and just an easy bird to take care of. I’ve never had finches so can’t speak about them at all but have friends that have them and they love them too.
She’s beautiful! I really do love pigeons. I looked at some finches the other day, I really love the sounds they make but I do think I’m looking for something a little bit bigger.

I always hear mixed reviews about keeping a single pigeon, some saying they should be kept in pairs other saying they’re okay as long as you have enough time to spend with them. Is she fine on her own or do your other birds keep her company?

I love bourkes too, they seem pretty calm for a parrot.

OliviaFall

Moving in
Real Name
Olivia Fallahee
I know you mentioned you were mostly interested in softbills, but would you perhaps consider a pair of budgies? Doves a pigeons are larger birds and quite dusty, so they may not be best as you say you aren't a big fan of mess. They can be kept in a large flight cage, and will keep each other company while you are away. Also, some finches and canary’s are too shy to tame, whereas budgies are almost always tameable as long as you are patient.
I have definitely considered those guys, we get a lot of them coming through my local shelter. I think if I was going with parrots I’d be more interested in a bourke parakeet, I met a pair of them a while ago and they were so calm and I loved the sounds they made.

Bea

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My pigeon is a single in a very large cage, she is out a few hours a day wearing her Flyper diaper (which are awesome I might add!) She loves to roam room to room, follows us everywhere in the house, loves to “loaf” in the sun on our couch. Seems very happy, she has always been alone. If you have two, they will most likely bond more to each other which is also fine, just saying tho! Mine loves to carry around Qtips and little strips of cardboard that I cut up for her for enrichment. I have to say that although she has her pigeon “coos” she is nowhere near as loud as my ringneck dove who coos a lot, day and also night at times. I love the quiet noises my pigeon makes and if I were in an apartment, I do not think anyone would even hear her. Very easy to listen to!

OliviaFall

Moving in
Real Name
Olivia Fallahee
My pigeon is a single in a very large cage, she is out a few hours a day wearing her Flyper diaper (which are awesome I might add!) She loves to roam room to room, follows us everywhere in the house, loves to “loaf” in the sun on our couch. Seems very happy, she has always been alone. If you have two, they will most likely bond more to each other which is also fine, just saying tho! Mine loves to carry around Qtips and little strips of cardboard that I cut up for her for enrichment. I have to say that although she has her pigeon “coos” she is nowhere near as loud as my ringneck dove who coos a lot, day and also night at times. I love the quiet noises my pigeon makes and if I were in an apartment, I do not think anyone would even hear her. Very easy to listen to!
That’s good to know, I think I’m going to look into a female pigeon

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Linnies are also pretty quiet. And if you get two birds then they are less reliant on you for socialization. I have a pair of bonded male linnies and they're great little birds. I'll tag some other linnie people just for fun :) @Dona @NorthernGannet

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Leih I'd vote for a Linnie or 2! If you want to consider one, visit Linnie Landing and read all about them. Charming little birds with a bit of big parrot sass.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Don’t know if this has been brought up... but how about a budgie?
Can interact, and are absolutely adorable!

OliviaFall

Moving in
Real Name
Olivia Fallahee
Right now I'm thinking a female pigeon or a bourke might be a good fit, I've started researching them and they seem pretty like they are generally pretty chill/quiet for a parrot. There are so many species and every individual bird is so different, this is not easy :laughing2: so thank you all for your suggestions. I thought I'd share a pic of the little ringneck I met at the shelter, it's not often I get to interact with a tame bird, she's so sweet!
IMG_1969.jpeg