• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Deciding between a Blue Throat Macaw and a Miligold Macaw.

Lynnl1222

Moving in
Real Name
Megan
This weekend I’m going to be meeting with a couple Blue Throat Macaw babies and Miligold Macaw babies.
I’m having a hard time decided between the two.
If there’s anyone out there whose had experience with both can you tell me some important characteristics of the two?
I’m wanting to know the difference in size, temperament, and overall experience with both Macaws. Any other information or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have no experience with either (or large birds in general) but good luck! I hope the meetings go well for you.

I would have a hard time deciding to as they are both beautiful!

I think I would prefer the blue throat, but for a reason I won't bring up as it sparks a lot of mixed opinions.

Happy choosing! :)

Ali

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It doesn't matter - every parrot is an individual. My two GWs were as different as night and day.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree. They're both amazing birds, but personalities will vary.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The blue throat should be a slightly smaller bird. They are mechanical and can even take some cages apart. They often enjoy scritching even into adulthood. Harry, my BTM, is 8 years young and has become cage territorial. He can be "beaky"; if you are cleaning the cage, he will try sneak bites. In talking to other BTM owners, that seems to be common. Harry knows the most behaviors of any of my birds.

The miligolds I've known have been gorgeous and outgoing birds.

Macaws are basically macaws. Individuals regularly defy species generalizations. If I were you, pick the baby that picks you. That will be the best companion you could ever want.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why dont you sit with each one for a while to see which one reacts to you with ghusto?

Reactions: Ali