• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

December ~~~~ Mayor of the Avenue!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Hi Everyone,
I am so excited about this months Mayor Award :dance4::dance4::dance4:
This member was chosen because she is loving, caring and a good emotional support when we need her. Her posts reflect how much she cares about her parrot and we wanted to learn more about her!!!
Introducing :heart:
Doll :dance4::dance4::dance4:

Here is her interview, Doll worked so hard on it, enjoy :)

First and foremost I’d like to say what an honer to have been chosen any thing in our new home Avian Avenue, but to be chosen Mayor is something else, it sure has made my year!!

1. What kind of birds do you have, age, species and names.

I am lucky to be owned by Mango, my YSA. He is just 32 months old, was born April 20th 2008 and was an old woman when I got him.

2. What got you interested in birds?

It was back in the 70’s I went to a park that had a bird show and decided I’d love to get in to showing, my b/f said your crazy but go for it well I did, I bought 64 budgies some I pd $70. $80.00 each for I had every kind I could find. I set up an aviary in my basement and when I walked in I’d stretch out my arms and every one would come down on me. My head arms body I was covered in birds. My b/f said I was a natural for birds any one that could bring them to me so fast, had to have a knack to do that. We set nest boxes up and some started to nest when I got sick. I went to Dr. and found out I had an allergy to the seed, as I wasn’t able to breath when home. He gave me 24 hrs to get rid of them or hospital till they were gone. I called up a breeder and he came got them. I just gave them out no charge. Back then no computers, no nothing I was hurt though because I didn’t think I’d ever own a bird again.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Birds brought calm in to my life, I found being around them I was at peace and to see budgies mate you know true love it is beautiful to see, any one that has them will tell you I’m sure.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?
I have learned the world could be a nicer place if everyone would take a lesson from their pet birds. They show so much caring and giving, oh yes, they have the other side to them, but mostly I will care for you protect you, fee you when hungry, love you if you give me a chance.
Birds want and need love and understanding, just like us, they can be aggressive but we need to remember they don’t speak as we do, so they show us in their way, what and how they want from us. I have learned respect if I respect them, they in turn respect me. Meaning I have my things, they have theirs and if guided they will leave you alone but it has to be shown.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

i have many wonderfull memories my past birds have left me with but some painfull ones stand out ones i cant shake baby the umberilia too i took from my grand son and had to give away because staying with a friend that didnt like birds she was a baby gave me so much love such a sweet and gental bird there will be never a nother one like her and of course boggie who i had no choice but to let go to a breeder as i would not put anyone else in danger as i was in with him with his hormones many a time i have wished i had a nother room things might have been difrent with my decision yes im sure it would have been because he had just started with a new life with me but after him dive bomming my face 5 times in a row one right after another me with no place to go pined be twen his cage and a wall he lunged at me going past him to kitchen flew back to cage then right back attacking methis will stay with me the rest of my life regret funny im crying as i type this ut hurts so bad even knowing it was what i had to do and be cause of him i was blessed with mango yes the pain is mine to carry even though he was sold to w woman breeder that spoiles her breeders does help a littlebut not much memories of him playing on the floor with his piano and our first xmas togathe and baby folowing me around out side like a little dog and kids sitting in a circle her going from on to a nother and one little boy i sad better let her onthe ground shes going to poo him saying thats ok mom said it was i love her he said so that makes it alright , yes many happy times i recived fom all my birds
i was blessed with some very special ones that i carry in my heart
and when i hear of some one having to part with a bird my heart goes out to both bird anf human i do not judge the why as i know the why has to be a good reason and i do not judge the whrer as i also know it has to be a good reason we were put on this earth not to judge others and i relised that more when i had to give up boggie, it all in all was a good leson learned even though i have tryed in life not ot judge only to acept its others choice as were not walking in there shoes

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Mango has his cage and large parrot stand and a play tree in my front room, a small table top parrot stand in my bedroom. He is with me his waking hours, lol also uses my chair when at my computer. I am very crampt for space as his cage play tree and large parrot stand take up most of the front room.

7. Did you change things in your home to accomodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I have been very lucky as all my walls are lined with dolls front room hall bedroom. Everyone said he’d chew them, well he couldn’t care less about them, about 275 dolls would make a great play center, lol but other than using front room, there is no way I could make changes. Oh I forgot I strung plastic chain across the room with toys on that he loves, climbing all over it. If and when my computer is fixed I will post a pic so you all could see. I need help with ideas.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I have tried to join a parrot club near me. I w ent to an open house party which was awsome house, was like I had never seen before. 3 furnices to heat it, ok, so you now its big the lady and husband that offered to give me rides to the club took me to this party. I was looking for a table top parrot stand. The owner of the house said she had to show them to me. I chose one bust said I had no money on me, as I didn’t bring my purse. Would it be ok, if I paid her on opening of the club. She said great, it was only $25.00, nothing big. Well the woman that took me brought it up to me a few times not to forget I still owed for this club that didnl’t open until Sept 10. I think I said no problem I’d pay at club opening. Well 4 days before opening I got an email. They would call me the night before as to what time Mango and I should be ready, the next line was oh don’t forget you still owe for the parrot stand, make sure you have the money. Well I saw red and said thanks but no thanks I’ll find another way to join. I mailed a cheque but still haven’t found a ride so no haven’t joined. My biggest wish would be to have a larger place to live. A room I could set up for Mango. A back yard that I could set up an area for him, but that will never happen. So we will make do with what we have and be happy we are healthy.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I am sure everyone in some time in there life have said If I had my life to do over I’d have no kids. Never meaning it. Though as kids is life, well I would have raised birds. LOL No really I do wish I was younger I would really missed out on a lot not having birds when I was young but always afraid of seed.
Do it never occured to me to look into it. I said many times like a fool, computers were stuped. LOL It was me that was stuped, as if I had had a computer I’d have had birds. I would have made sure of having a house, so I could enjoy my babys. I am sure I would have had 5 or 6 but large ones raised by me from babies.
I can’t turn back the clock, I have to live in the here and now. So I was very lucky to have Mango who was in some ways a baby. Never around or handled by humans. I am thinking I have done a good job helping him grow in mind and body. He is free and in summer is out and about meeting everything possible in my life, which so many birds in captivity don’t get. When my time comes to die I know he will continue seeing the world with my son and grandson.
I couldn’t ask for much more.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I’d love to get a blue and gold macaw but right from a few weeks old feed it raise it from start and a too same way id love to bring them up and have them be like mango only better than i have done with him oh hes great but i know i could have done more if i had him from his beginning. •
i hate cages •and if i could raise mango and my 2 dream birds up togeather same time id love to think thy would all think they were related ,,lol I wouldnt need cages but to sleep in but at my age its a dream ill never see come true. These 3 species living as one getting along and being free all the time silly i know but one day some one might just try it long after i’m gone and wouldnt it be great if you all could say •she was right it could be done ha ha I know im silly but what are dreams if not doing the impossable and being proven right.

11.Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds..

Mango and i start our day with him not wanting to eat in cage even though i try to encourage it. He nibbles some then screams to come out so i get him out and we come in to bedroom. I call comp room,,lol I put him on his parrot stand and he has..lol Then its time to pester mom •and he does a good job with that gets on my shoulder and starts playing with my ear. When i try to stop him he grabs my hair in his one foot and pretends to fight me off i get him down laughing at home clinging to my hair. I have to pry him louse its so funny how he does it then he sits on my hand trying to stop me from typing goes back to my shoulder. He walks across my back to other shoulder turns to face other way and proceeds to walk down my arm backwards slipping so i need to catch him. Demanding we play nibble on moma fingers but we need both hands.
Mango is always on me till i go into other room then its play time only. If I’m on the couch, I lay down catch an hrs sleep. Hes great very quiet not to bother me,,lol When i wake it well come on lets play throw the toys out.
i have to say there is no work done when he’s up he will not let me do a thing if lucky a few dishes but they never get finished,,lol He is up from about 1 pm till 11 pm •its him me comp play .
After he’s in bed i clean wash floors do dishes cook. Okay so I’m up all night i am anyways so its ok i sleep if able for me about 7 •8 am till 10 am

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?
One thing mango has taught me is having a bird is time consuming if you are not willing to do this, don’t get a bird. At least •a parrot cleaning up after them is full time lob..lol Mangos messy playing cooking its as i said full time with kids its much easer but a parrot is life time . Yes if you have a spouse and other members in home its much easer, as they are always there in some for to take some time with the bird. I’m talking retired alone, one bird just you. They spoil easy and demand your attention and if your devoted there is always tomorrow, or the next day things will get done, but your parrot is first everything is later.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I have asked my self many times, am i crazy to let a bird run my life and i sit and think what life was before Mango it was pretty dull.
There’s rules in owning a parrot first one is, dont start what you dont want to continue, 2 is being consistant in rules, 3 is love plenty of love and with this in place life is good.
Would i change things in my way of raising mango, no i don’t think so, have i got regrets in what i have allowed him to do, like take up my hole, being no i have no regrets. He’s my child one that will never grow past age 2, if he reaches that and we all know what a child is like up to that point your life. It’s not your own, its the child’s, you wouldn’t toss your child out, so your not going to toss out your bird. Do i regret how i have done or allowed mango to do taking over controlling my life?
Not on your life, i have no regrets. He has brought fufillment in to my life and my only wish is i can show him more give him more as he has done for me.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I had to put my sons dog down, he had cancer of the bowel. I had him 13 years, but before doing that, I got me some old computers.
Never turned one on in my life. So learning about computers. Then he was gone, I was so down, I went out one day just to kill the day. I went to Value Village, then to Salvation Army, as I was leaving that store, I saw a doll by the cash, one about 12 inches high. It was new, I asked how much, and was told $5.95. I said no, and left the store. I went back a few days later in the week. The doll is still there, I asked can I see it please, when I got it, I noticed it was a black doll, not real dark skin, very light skin, but all the features were definately black. I started to wondere why a new doll would be donated and it hit me. I bet it was given to a child and the parents didn’t like her to have a black doll, so they gave it away. I took her home, that is what started my doll collection of over 300. I sent 100 a few years ago to a church that was shipping to africa for Christmas, so now I have about 225-275 dolls. Some talk, some interact, some grow, some eat, some play music, it is a great collection. I sew and cook for others, life is full, I am so lucky.

15. Anything else you would like to share

As I said from the start of this thick book, it is such an honer to have been chosed as mayor of AA. It is another chapter in my life of so many ups and downs, that goes with living. I am still in shock.
I was asked to answer some questions, oh so foolish of them. Being long winded I am hoping I didn’t put you all to sleep. I did answer and have to say, thanks to Dotty4 for helping me. As my computer wouldn’t hold this, I am sure.
As for all members I would like to say thanks for your knowledge on birds.
Thanks for everyones kindness to others.
Thanks for this great site that will today, tomorrow and years to come, help so many humans and birds and other animals.
I thank all who have enriched my life!

IM HUMBLEY YOURS WILL CHARISH THIS HONER
TILL THE DAY I DIE WHICH IS YEARS TO COME
SORRY IM STUBERN IM HERE TO MAKE YOUR LIFE MISERAMLE AS I TELL MY SON
GOD BLESS YOU ALL

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:wave::starshower::starshower::Congratwav:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
Congrats :hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
What a fantastic interview!!! Congratulations Doll!!! :hug8:
:Congratwav:

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Great interview Doll, thanks for sharing it all with us!!

Handing over! :D

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
What a fantastic interview!!! Congratulations Doll!!! :hug8:
:Congratwav:
i truly thank you all im still in shock
and thanks dottyfor all your help
god bless you all:hug8::hug8::hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Doll big congrats!! You are a wonderful member here! :hug8::dance4:

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Congrats Doll!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Congrats Doll!!! :hug8:

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Bear hugs to you, Mayoress! You are so deserving of this great honor. Thanks for being you, and telling it like it is. I admire your courage and your humility and grace and your devotion to Mango. CONGRATS!!!!!:heart::starshower::bounce8::cool5:

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big Congrats, Mayor Doll! I loved learning more about you and you are a wonderful part of AA!

Attachments

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
:chipmunks::Congratwav::chipmunks:

You so deserve this honour Doll, my fondest love to both you and dear mango.:hug8:

leftie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michelle
That was a very interesting interview. CONGRATS DOLL!! :dance5:

BTW, I really love these types of interviws and I read every one posted. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.