• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

December 2021 Mayor of the Avenue... Wardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Wardy is December's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have two greencheek conures both female

Mojo a high red pineapple who will be one in January 2022
KiKi a yellow side who will be one in December 2021

2. What got you interested in birds?

I have always had a interest in animals birds where not something that i had really considered as companions as we have always had dogs however after loosing both of our dogs during lockdown the house seemed empty we where going to get another two dogs however at the 11th hour my wife didn't feel she could get more she actually asked if it would be possible to get a parrot, so i done a lot of reading and thought a parrot would fit with us.
I have also kept fish for a long time and currently have a large reef tank however i have currently got some quite serious problems with my back and can no longer continue with this hobby as i physically can't maintain the tank so they have made the fact i am having to give this hobby up that little bit easier.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

They have brought companionship and joy they really make us both smile

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I think i have learnt i have more patience than i thought i had

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

We now both work from home due to the pandemic before we had KiKi i was still working my wife had let Mojo out i finished work and come downstairs as i entered the kitchen i heard Mojo flying she flew from the living room out into the kitchen and landed on my shoulder chirping away making a real fuss of me, It really made me smile to know she wanted to come and see me so flew out to me it was then i felt she had accepted me as part of her flock.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

They both share the main living area with us living room and the kitchen and in the summer months the conservatory

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Nothing really with the exception of no candles no teflon so the usual things however when i finally manage to offload my fishtank this area will be given over to the birds.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

None with the exception of AA

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A bigger house and a bigger living area with higher ceilings

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I am really happy with my conures and will possibly add more in the future i would like a turqoise pineapple and a suncheek possibly but as it is a dream and they would get along with my conures ( well its a dream isnt it ) a pair of white bellied caiques pionites leucogaster. Like greencheeks they have big personalities and a lot of energy very clownlike just like my conures.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Our birds arent really early starters but they are earlier to start there day than me so they are usually uncovered by my wife they dont really do much until i get up thats when they seem to come to life.
I say good morning to them remove the pellets that have been left overnight in their cage and their water they then get there chop.
I then head back upstairs to work they do see us off and on througout the day as we both work from home at about 11am i remove there chop and replace with fresh pellets i also change Mojo's water.
I spend my dinner hour downstairs with them first thing i do is change Mojo's water then i eat, if i have had a decent nights sleep i let them out of there cages for 40 mins they mainly spend this time foraging in the box, when i return them to there cage i add some foraging activity to there cage for the afternoon. If i havent slept much due to my back i add the foraging activity to there cage and have a sleep for half an hour.
When i finish work i change Mojo's water ( there is a pattern to this everything go's into Mojo's water pellets,seed hulls.pieces of nutriberrie,paper,toy parts. ) they then come out of there cage for an hour for a play this time Mojo generally gets up to no good KiKI will forage they then get put back in there cage i add there chop and we eat once we have eaten they come out for the remainder of the night they do some more foraging, do zoomies and spend a lot of time preening each other.
While they are out i remove all of the foraging stuff i have added to there cage in the afternoon wipe down all of there perches change the paper at the bottom of there cage and change Mojo's water remove there chop and add pellets to there cage.
When they return to there cage they get 30 mins to eat some pellets and have a drink before getting covered for the night.

The above is pretty much the same routine however Tuesdays when i dont work and weekends they get significantly more time out of the cage.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Just like people birds have there own personalities likes and dislikes Mojo is much more velcro and enjoys playing with her humans interacts with both me and my wife without a second thought and doesnt stop all day she is on the go in her cage. KiKi is much more laid back doesnt really bother with her humans if she can forage she is happy and is also quite happy quietly napping on her perch or having a sleep on top of her cage. Be patient amd dont have to many expectations and you will have a much more fullfilling relationship with your feathered friends.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

This question is something i thought about at length i wont say i have done everything right however i wouldnt change anything introducing the birds into our home and our lives has been a massive learning curve however the journey i have gone on has got me to the point i am at now and i am completely happy with our relationship.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I am a big lover of music so listen to a lot of music and try and get to see live bands as often as possible, I play the guitar, bass guitar and a little bit of keyboards.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Avian Avenue is such a wealth of knowledge and without it my learning curve would have been much steeper and slower it's great to find a community so willing to share there experience and knowledge.
Be patient Rome wasnt built in a day you are trying to build a relationship that will stand the test of time if your bird wont step up or bites you dont get upset there is no malice in there behaviours they rely on you to feed and care for them and if you are Mojo change your water a hundred times a day.

I feel really honoured to be Mayor of the avenue me Mojo and KiKi wouldnt be where we are now without AA and all of the members who have answered my questions and followed along on our journey offering advice along the way.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Love the interview! Congratulations!!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Congrats :marlenesmile:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations Wardy! Very well deserved, and I enjoyed reading your interview :) :starshower:

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Thank you for sharing this beautiful interview with us. I enjoyed reading it. :heart:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It was very nice to learn more about your life with Kiki and Mojo.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
KiKi is very put out you got her name wrong i told her it was a typo but she pointed out the W is the other side of the keyboard :pinklol2:
Turns out phones have minds of their own. I edited the post. If I messed up any holiday cards then you can scold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.