• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures December 2019 Feathered Estates - DoubleTake

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
December 2019 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:

I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member DoubleTake​

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
Two sun conures, father Apollo and his son Cole. I call them the boys and a peach faced lovebird named Loki. The large one is for the boys but Loki gets to play on it when they aren't there and I made a small one for Loki. Loki's gets a tiny bathing fountain because she does not like going in the shower with me. The boys love going into the shower with me and they use up more water than I do!
20190716_070501.jpg
20191120_181646.jpg
20191019_091925.jpg
20191019_091956.jpg
2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No. but I think Cole is secretly a psychopath.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Voulenteer at a bird store, get lots of discounts and free things lol.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
The playarea is changeable and expandable. The current setup is approved by the fids and the only thing I change out are the toys.
20191123_085555.jpg
20191123_085541.jpg

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
The wire shelving I got from amazon, it is powered coat steel. Rope perches and pre-made toys from the bird store I volunteer at, Omar's Exotic Birds. The tree stand, I got from Omar's but I to most basic one I could find, bought some ribbon wood and added a few more branches myself.
20191123_083200.jpg
20191123_085525.jpg

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
The best thing I bought is the wire shelving, they use it every day. They enjoy being on it, they will run to it or glide to it when I take them into the living room. The boys enjoy the cheap stuff, cardboard boxes and magazines. Loki is a little more high maintenance, she enjoys these pineapple toys.

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
I haven't dabbled to much with DYI but am starting to look into them. The one thing that all my birds have liked is taking a fruit skewer and just stacking various type of wood on it for them to destroy.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
No, not really. My boys have no interest in foraging. They just want to shred. Loki likes to pick up their left over and tuck them in her tail like she did it herself.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
MY diffuclities is usually my execution. I always have ideas perculating in my head but trying to figure out how to get it to come together is my most challennging task. Try and error is my only remedy.

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
I think the boy's play area could use some new toys.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
I like that they have plenty of space and they seem content being able to stare outside the window.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
All 3 birds had no issues when being introduce to the play stand. I think it helped that they saw me and my friend putting it together.

13~ Any future renovations planned?
Not at this time or my whole living room may turn into the bird play area.
20191123_085529.jpg
20191123_134628.jpg
20191123_134833.jpg 20190212_140613.jpg 20180629_150751.jpg

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love the footage of Loki bathing. A little diva :xflove:

Creative use of those module shelves. Beautiful flock!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yay! :congrats5:

I enjoyed reading all about your set up and I especially loved all the pictures of your set up with your beautiful birds:heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! :starshower1:

Some great tips! Buying a stand and adding branches is such a fantastic idea, especially for those on a budget, or even those who want to expand their stand :cool:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Congratulations love your set up.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations!:starshower1: What a great set up and such wonderful photos! You definitely have some happy birds there! :heart:

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
December 2019 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:

I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member DoubleTake​

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
Two sun conures, father Apollo and his son Cole. I call them the boys and a peach faced lovebird named Loki. The large one is for the boys but Loki gets to play on it when they aren't there and I made a small one for Loki. Loki's gets a tiny bathing fountain because she does not like going in the shower with me. The boys love going into the shower with me and they use up more water than I do!
View attachment 321873
View attachment 321874
View attachment 321875
View attachment 321876
2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No. but I think Cole is secretly a psychopath.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Voulenteer at a bird store, get lots of discounts and free things lol.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
The playarea is changeable and expandable. The current setup is approved by the fids and the only thing I change out are the toys.
View attachment 321877
View attachment 321878

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
The wire shelving I got from amazon, it is powered coat steel. Rope perches and pre-made toys from the bird store I volunteer at, Omar's Exotic Birds. The tree stand, I got from Omar's but I to most basic one I could find, bought some ribbon wood and added a few more branches myself.
View attachment 321879
View attachment 321880

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
The best thing I bought is the wire shelving, they use it every day. They enjoy being on it, they will run to it or glide to it when I take them into the living room. The boys enjoy the cheap stuff, cardboard boxes and magazines. Loki is a little more high maintenance, she enjoys these pineapple toys.

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
I haven't dabbled to much with DYI but am starting to look into them. The one thing that all my birds have liked is taking a fruit skewer and just stacking various type of wood on it for them to destroy.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
No, not really. My boys have no interest in foraging. They just want to shred. Loki likes to pick up their left over and tuck them in her tail like she did it herself.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
MY diffuclities is usually my execution. I always have ideas perculating in my head but trying to figure out how to get it to come together is my most challennging task. Try and error is my only remedy.

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
I think the boy's play area could use some new toys.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
I like that they have plenty of space and they seem content being able to stare outside the window.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
All 3 birds had no issues when being introduce to the play stand. I think it helped that they saw me and my friend putting it together.

13~ Any future renovations planned?
Not at this time or my whole living room may turn into the bird play area.
View attachment 321883
View attachment 321884
View attachment 321885 View attachment 321886 View attachment 321887
Set up is amazing

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's beautiful! Congrats!