• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

December 2018 Mayor of the Avenue... WeasleyLover (Maddy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that WeasleyLover is December's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have six beautiful birds. Peatree, a 10 year old Pineapple Green Cheek Conure. Honey, an 8 year old Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure. Presley, an 8 year old Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure. Grey Bird, a 23 year old Congo African Grey. Jester Bean, a 21 year old Citron Cockatoo. Lincoln, a 2 year old Budgie.

2. What got you interested in birds?

My mom used to tell me all about the birds she had when she was younger, and hearing about them is what got me interested in birds. Around 2010 my aunt let my cat escape (we never found her ): ), and I really missed having a pet in the house. So, for my birthday I begged my mom to let me get a bird. On my birthday I got a bird cage as a present, and about a week later I brought Weasley home!

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

My birds have brought so much happiness into my life. I have always been a shy person and never had many friends, so they gave me a constant source of friendship. They also prompted me to join online bird communities, which has helped me to create several online friendships!

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

They have taught me a lot of responsibility and patience.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

There are two memories that are very special to me. The first is the day I got Weasley and became a bird mom. That memory is so, so, so special to me. The second is the day that Grey Bird first stepped up for me. It was four or five months after I brought him home, and I had been working so hard to fully gain his trust. On the day it happened, he had been on top of his cage and got spooked and fell to the floor. He looked at me and stuck his foot out, asking me to come get him. When he stepped up, it was a very emotional moment. He hadn’t stepped up for anyone since his old owner stopped trying. It had probably been over five or six years. I was very overwhelmed that he finally decided to trust me. He probably thought I was crazy as I sat there crying with him on my arm. After that, he stepped up like a pro!

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Lincoln and the conure girls live in my room, and Jester Bean and Grey Bird’s main living space is in their own room that is also used as an office.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

The usual stuff – got rid of candles, air fresheners, ect...

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Not currently. I used to be an active member of a bird club, but I haven’t gone in a while because it is so far away.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

An outdoor aviary. Someday!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

An African Grey was my dream bird, and I have him! :heart:

I would love to adopt a few chickens some day. Chickens are often looked at as only good for eggs or meat. :( But they are individuals with different personalities, just like parrots! I would love to rescue some ex egg-layers and spoil them. :xflove:

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Everybirdie wakes up, gets fed, and the big boys get their foraging toys filled. They entertain themselves for a while, and then they get let out of their cages. I will usually sit with Jester and Grey Bird while I study, and they either play outside of their cages or sit with me. Then I’ll spend time with the girls. Jester and Grey Bird will alternate coming out on the stand and hanging out while I do other stuff. Jester goes to bed when the sun sets (he lets me know he is ready for bed!), and everyone else stays up until 10 or so.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

They are crazy and obnoxious, but also funny and amazing. The friendship and happiness they bring me is worth every mess, temper tantrum, and scream fest. Although sometimes Jester makes me question that! :wacky::hehe:

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have never clipped Peatree or the budgie’s wings. I insisted on clipping them for the first year or two, and I regret it. Flight is so important for birds, and it is unfair that humans are allowed to take that away from them. Plus, there is nothing like watching a budgie zip around the room! Such a wonderful sight to see.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I enjoy painting, crafting, reading, playing the ukulele, and horseback riding.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I’m so thankful to have AA! It is such a wonderful community, and I am so happy to be a part of it. :hug8:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Very well deserved! I really emjoyed reading your interview. :yes1:
On my birthday I got a bird cage as a present
This is so neat! I know you're not supposed to gift pets so this is a perfect idea. :tup:
The second is the day that Grey Bird first stepped up for me. It was four or five months after I brought him home, and I had been working so hard to fully gain his trust. On the day it happened, he had been on top of his cage and got spooked and fell to the floor. He looked at me and stuck his foot out, asking me to come get him. When he stepped up, it was a very emotional moment. He hadn’t stepped up for anyone since his old owner stopped trying. It had probably been over five or six years. I was very overwhelmed that he finally decided to trust me. He probably thought I was crazy as I sat there crying with him on my arm.
This really got me.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
:congratsbig:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:congrats5:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:cheer:
I really loved your interview. That trust that birds honor us with is so special.
And, like you, I will never forget my introduction to my very first bird. :heart:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many Congrats and much applause! :congratsbig:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Congratulations! So well deserved. I enjoyed every bit of your interview! :congratualtions:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations! Reading about Grey Bird stepping up for you was so very touching I very nearly teared up myself :)

Well deserved :laughing12:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:bounce7: congrats to one of my favorite members.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats Maddy! You're an amazing bird mom. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.