• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

December 2016 Feathered Estates Highlight - MiniMacaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
December 2016 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:

I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member
MiniMacaw!

Set ups for handicapped birds

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I have three budgies, a severe macaw and a catablue macaw (Catalina and blue and gold). Each bird has their own set up, with the budgies sharing their flight cage. I'll focus the rest of the questions on Bowser's set up otherwise we'd have a novel lol.

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
2. Bowser's set up is specifically designed for his special needs, which include very timid beak use due to injury, as well as a missing toe and nerve damage/atrophy to the feet. He has soft padded blankets for the bottom of his cage in case he falls. Each perch is almost touching the other so it's an easy pathway up, down and around the cage. He also has a variety of perches, including flat to help exercise his feet or rest them.
IMG_20161114_180119864.jpg
IMG_20161120_145654154.jpg

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
3. Order in bulk whenever possible. There are usually big discounts given for large orders.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
4. Right now the cage doesn't change much. As Bowser gains confidence I'll start changing toys around more frequently, but right now the comfort of his cage and favorite toys stays the same.

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
5. I bought this cage from my local bird rescue because a portion of the proceeds goes back into the rescue.
I LOVE the vendors here for supplies. I have large orders into Avian stainless, Oliver's Garden, tnt and tweety pies to name a few.
IMG_20161119_091408.jpg
6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
6. Yes! The local manzanita perches I bought are amazing in person. They're huge and have lots of texture for Bowser's feet to flex and relax on. IMG_20161120_144729.jpg

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?

7. So many failures lol. I don't excel at bird toy making. I can do fresh veggie and bird bread skewers though. :)

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
8. Bowser isn't quite ready for foraging. I have attempted to get him interested in a basket with nuts hidden inside, but he hasnt been interested yet.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
9. Bowser can't have the typical wire bottom cage due to his injuries, so I adapted his cage as mentioned above.
His feathers were in awful condition from neglect so daily (sometimes twice) showers have really helped him get clean and also have a chance to do his happy macaw dance. :)
And lastly, he wasn't gaining weight (in fact he was losing it due to forced weaning) so hes on two handfeedings a day now with lots of fresh foods.

IMG_20161116_130723.jpg

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
10. I would like to have more room for toys but this cage suits Bowser's current needs really well.
7752.jpg

11~ What do you like most about your setup?

11. Bowser's happiness being in it! He never had a bird cage or proper set up before and from the first second he saw his cage he's loved it.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setupright away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
12. Bowser saw it from his travel cage the day I brought him home. He wanted to explore it right away and has enjoyed playing on the bottom cushioned area as well as working his muscles climbing to different perches.

13~ Any future renovations planned?
13. Yes. As Bowser's muscles strengthen and he gains confidence I'd like to give him more items to explore. I have a big rope to hang on the ceiling he can climb all over when hes ready but it's a bit too much for him now. I'd also like to add fun items like a swing to his cage. For now he enjoys using the door that swings open on top of his cage to stand out on and be silly. IMG_20161120_144950.jpg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love, love, love this. .... and the pictures? I just melted.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:congratualtions:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't get enough of Bowser :loveshower: @MiniMacaw you really did a great thing getting him out of that situation :swoon:

Love the pics :)

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats!! :starshower1:
I just adored all the Bowser pics. :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If only every bird that is in trouble could find their very own "Minimacaw" what a great world it would be. Your bravery in getting Bowser out of a horrible situation, your quick action in getting him needed vet care, your intelligence in setting up an appropriate world for him and your patience in bringing him along to a happy and long life are the things that heroes do.

Lets not forget that Bowser isn't the only one Minimacaw took into her heart and home - Fred now has the perfect home too.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:bounce7::congrats5::bounce7:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
If only every bird that is in trouble could find their very own "Minimacaw" what a great world it would be. Your bravery in getting Bowser out of a horrible situation, your quick action in getting him needed vet care, your intelligence in setting up an appropriate world for him and your patience in bringing him along to a happy and long life are the things that heroes do.

Lets not forget that Bowser isn't the only one Minimacaw took into her heart and home - Fred now has the perfect home too.
Thank you so much for this...you had my two year old looking at me weird because I was tearing up lol. My birds are the best (not that I'm biased or anything ;)) so it's great being able to take care of them.

And a big huge thank you to everyone for allll the kind words! There have been some hard times with both Fred and Browser, medically and behavior wise and it's been such a comfort knowing I have everyone here on AA for priceless advice. :hug9::thankyou:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:congrats5:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Congrats

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I enjoyed reading your interview!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Great interview and beautiful pictures!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
I really enjoyed your interview, and those were such great photos! Browser and Fred are such lucky birdies!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
:Congratwav:

I loved the interview and pictures! Bowser is so lucky you saved him , and I could tell your other fids are lucky too.

Status
Not open for further replies.