• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

December 2015 Mayor of the Avenue... KimKim

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that KimKim is December's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have one African Grey named Babalu, he will be 10 years old in January. I adopted him when he was almost 3.

image.jpeg

2. What got you interested in birds?

I use to work at an animal shelter and they utilized a vet that was also a bird rescue. One day I made a vet run and saw Babalu. I inquired about him and he had a wait list of potential adopters already. I went home and asked my husband if I could be put on the list to adopt him and he said no :cautious:. The next day I called and got on the list anyway :x3:. Weeks went by and I guess the rescue got tired of waiting for the other people to adopt him and they called me :laughing12:.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Lots of laughter... Even though Babalu is not a hands on, lovey dovey type bird.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

That they are more than just birds, that require a LOT more than just a cage and seed to be happy and thrive.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The first few weeks that I saw Babalu and brought him home. It was so fun and exciting to get to know him and listen to him talk and whistle.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

He is in an area right off the kitchen and living room.

image.jpeg

His atom is out of the picture, to the right.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

We had to replace all of our cookware and we got a couple air purifiers since my husband has allergies.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I am only active on AA but I do have accounts on a couple other forums and I follow some FB bird groups.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I would love to have an outdoor aviary again, but that will have to wait until we figure out where we will be living for a while (we are military). Also, I think I (or should I say Babalu) will be getting a new stand and a wingdow for Christmas :excited2:.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

My dream bird is the Blue Throated Macaw. As some may remember, my dream came true for a short 6 months. Unfortunately for me, it didn't work out :sad14:. I was able to place her in a wonderful home where she has many macaw friends and she spends her days cage free in a huge aviary.

image.jpeg

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I uncover him when I get up and he gets fed his chop. Then after I do my morning chores, he comes out in one of his stands and I clean his cage. He goes back in his cage in the evening and gets his treats/nuts. I cover him for the nightbetween 8-9.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

They can be expensive but bring lots of laughs :D.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Although I love Babalu, if I knew he was going to be this dusty and trigger my husbands allergies, I MIGHT not have adopted him... Or maybe not :lol:.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

At the moment, I really have much extra time for any other hobbies, as I have a new baby boy and an almost 4 year old daughter. Shoot, it's taken me a week just to answer these questions :shy:. Hopefully soon, I will be getting back into my Stroller Warrior running club. I also use to be very active in dog training. I have a Dutch Shepherd that I use to train/compete with in a sport called French Ring. Now she is retired and terrorizes our boxer.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Thank you AA for being awesome, I have learned so much from the forum :AArocks:.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
KIMKIM!!!!!:bounce7::congrats3::congratualtions::goodjob::wewin:

This is great! :dance3:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I enjoyed your interview very much :cool:

:congrats5:

I giggled when read that bit about your hubs saying no and you doing it anyway because I am the exact same way! :highfive: Kindred spirits :dance5:

Status
Not open for further replies.