• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

December 2014 Mayor of the Avenue..... iamwhoiam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce iamwhoiam as December's Mayor of the Avenue.
I loved your interview and enjoyed getting to know you a little better!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Senegal Parrot, Jake, 28 years old
Two Amazons: Casey Lee (Blue-front) and Shannon (Yellow-nape) both 27
Two Cockatoos: Keno (Goffin's), 24-25 years old and Cody Lynn (Bare-eyed), 22 years old
Dusky Conure: Jaden Jalen, 7 years old
House Sparrow: Spero Spee Sparrow AKA "Spee", 6 years old
And last but NEVER least The Red-bellied parrot group:
Ricky and Lucy (not sure of their ages but got them in '89)- They are mom and dad to:
Mulder and Scully, 17 years old; SETI, Roswell & Zack, 15 years old and Sophie & Claudé, 13 years old.

I've had other birds but, unfortunately, they have passed. I miss them deeply and cherish the time we had together.

2. What got you interested in birds?

When I was about 4 years old my cousin moved to California from Illinois and gave her Mynah birds to us. I liked the birds a lot but their noisiness bothered my dad and so he gave them away which upset me. Sadly my dad passed away a few months later. On my 5th birthday a small green and yellow parakeet landed on the window ledge to our apartment during my birthday party. A cousin's girlfriend caught him and, although my mom tried to find out if he belonged to anyone no owner could be found. She decided we could keep him and told me that he was a special gift from my dad. That was the beginning of my love for birds. We named him "Dickey" and he was part of our family for 13 years until he passed away.
Since that time I don't believe I have ever been without at least one bird in my life.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Challenges, stress, messy floors, dirty and damaged walls, bite wounds, craziness, laughter, joy, happiness, surprises,
a reason to keep going when life gets tough and bad things happen

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Patience and acceptance.
To try as much as possible not to throw in the towel or give up.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I have many memories, both negative and positive. Keeping with the holiday spirit I will stay with the positive: The hatching of 2 fuzzy pink babies on February 14, 1997 later to be named Mulder and Scully AKA “The Twins” and “The Masters of Destruction”. The best Valentine's gift ever. Also July 11, 2008, the day I found a one day old sparrow and brought him home to take care of him. I may have rescued him but his spirit and strength to survive and overcome his handicap helped me get through a bad time in my life. Thanks, Spee!!

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Most of them are in their own room (the bird bedroom) but there is overflow into another bedroom and also the living room.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Converted a bedroom into a bird room, stopped using most cleaning products and replaced these with bird safe alternatives, bought only stainless steel pots and pans.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Just Avian Avenue.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

How about 2 luxury items: A new home with a bigger room for the birds and a bird maid or butler.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Have my hands full with my large group but if someone gave me a Ruppell's, a Cape, Jardines (yes I am a very big Poicephalus fan), a Hyacinth Macaw or a Palm Cockatoo I wouldn't refuse.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Nothing is typical here. I don't have a set routine. I get up anywhere from 6A to 9A, although sometimes I am up all night. Get the birds up around 8-9A and lights off between 9-11P. I play with them, chat with them, feed them, clean up cages. Feeding & cleaning takes about 2-2 ½ hours. Can't let them all out at one time because some of them don't play well with others. I work with them on doing some tricks and increasing their vocabulary. Some days I read to them, or put the TV or a movie on for them and they seem to enjoy that. The amount of time I spend with them varies with my schedule.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

To never underestimate their intelligence.
That many times I prefer the company of my birds to humans.
:D

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

When I first got some of my birds the cages were too small and I did not provide them with enough perches of varying sizes and materials. I should have tried a larger variety of fresh fruits and vegetables with them. I should not have shouted at my cockatoos to “Stop It” or “Be Quiet” when they screamed. To have first aid items organized and readily available if needed. To not cover their cages with good sheets or towels. To provide them with more challenging and interactive toys.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Photography, genealogy, collecting succulents and cacti, going to the theatre and to movies, playing video slots. I take jewelry/lapidary and upholstery classes and take my dogs, a Bichon Frisé mix, a Poodle mix and a Lagotto Romagnolo, to obedience and trick training classes. Also have 3 Corydoras catfish and participate in fish agility training with them (just kidding, although there really is agility equipment for fish).

15. Anything else you would like to share

It is an honor to be selected as Mayor. I enjoy being a member of the Avian Avenue community and appreciate the way members support and help one another. It's great to have the opportunity to exchange and share information with others who love birds.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
:) and enjoyed reading your "bird" story.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Congratulations!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:goodjob:

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Yay! :bighug:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading the interview.

Matt

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is so nice to give this award to someone so deserving. :)

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations!

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Yahoo! Well done! Congrats and glad you got it! :laughing12:

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:bounce6: congrats! well deserved:cantwait: :bounce4:

LemonGrass

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!!! :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Congratulations! :dance4: :dance5: :dancing:

and 7 red bellies??? I'd love to see a pic of them all together if you have one :D or just pics of them all, lol. I'd love to have a little girlie RB one day :xflove:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:bounce4:Wow, quite a flock...good read! :bounce7::bounce7::bounce7:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! :dance4: :dance5: :dancing:

and 7 red bellies??? I'd love to see a pic of them all together if you have one :D or just pics of them all, lol. I'd love to have a little girlie RB one day :xflove:
9 red-bellies. :) They don't all get along but I might have some photos of several of them together. I think they are on another computer. I'll see what I can find. I really need to consolidate and organize my photos. There are also photos on AA in different threads. My avatar is Claudé. Why not a male red-belly?

Status
Not open for further replies.