• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

December 2011 Mayor of the Avenue.......... Marian

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm pleased to announce Marian (Marian) as December's "Mayor of the Avenue" :)

She is an terrific person and she and Hiram are an asset to the Avenue - please join me in welcoming her :D

Marian, this is a wonderful interview and I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about you and Hiram :heart:

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I am happily owned by a Double Yelow Headed Amazon, Hiram.

2. What got you interested in birds?

I've always loved birds as far back as I can remember.A few rescues we did for the county involved several birds.That's all it took.Then I was off like Dorthy on the yellow brick road.It's never stopped since then.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

The main word I can use is joy.Hiram has brought me a lot of happiness over these years.At times when I just didn't feel like laughing...there was Hiram hanging upside down, in his cage acting as silly as could be.with a rendition of Barbaranne. Long story short...he always brings a smile to my face at least once a day.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I've learned alot over the years.At first its pretty scarey what I thought was right, way back then.I've learned, just how intelligence these feathered friends are.They certainly don't just mimic they understand so much.
I've also learned at time I've learned patience with hiram.Like days when i'm on an important phone call...and he decides to act like a "fruit loop
."

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Well there are a couple things that stand out for me with Hiram. I had nooooooooo intentions of ever having an amazon way back then. I wanted a house of greys. Anyway he worked a week on me... trying to get me to take him home. So glad I did.

The other funny memory, I have of him is, eavesdropping on the neighbor next door. I know when company is arriving before the guy next door does. Soon as his patio gate opens Hiram is speaking "hello how you doing? good I hope!" in a deep mans voice. He actually lays his head to the wall to listen in. Kind of like one of the Baldwin sisters on the Waltons.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Hiram's main living area is my living room. He has two playstands and one more, I'm in the works doing. My living room now looks like an aviary..but thats all ok with me. I believe a happy zon is a busy one.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes. Moving to an apartment from a home certainly changed things up quite abit. But you know it all worked out great! His main living space is my living room. He gets the entire left side of the room with a view through the sliders.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Not at this time. I have checked into a couple of bird clubs but they are so far from the island. Maybe in time, I can find something closer.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I'd love to have an atom or boing.Two things he's never had....

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Yes one more bird would be an african grey again. I've never gotten over losing Sadie. I would like one day to have another. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed on this happening.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Mornings Hiram is up at 7:00 am. I feed him a spoonful or two of warm oatmeal. Then he has birdy bread and a fruit. After breakfast its onto playing...out of the cage and checking out the day. He is cage free unless I am not home or when it's time for bed. Lunch time is usually veggies or mash time food...Hiram can be pretty picky with several foods. Thats why birdy bread has worked magic. I can bake so many types of veggies into it. I try and give him a very high vitamin A diet. He's treated with a nut or two also. Dinner is usually something very healthy also. Then I do give him a few minutes with seed. He also has some millet during the day. He loves carrot juice also.
Somedays we sing and dance and just act crazy. He loves watchign YT videos mornings too. Come to think of it he is quite spoiled. Hiram's bed time is 7:00 pm usually every night. When it's bedtime, he climbs to his highest perch which is pink and goes to sleep...He is covered.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I would like to tell all new owners to really do your home work before you venture out to get a parrot. It's a very long commitment.

Another thing, I've learned is that most parrots have 7 homes in their life time. Kind of sad to me when you really think about it.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would of fed him completely different in the begining. I've learned so much over the years.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love reading, collecting Wizard of Oz things, figurines of pigs. (yes pigs LOL) and walking beach for shells.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Just thank you all for choosing Hiram and I for this award. We are honored.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:dance4::dancing::dance5::laughing12::hug8::heart: this is so great! Congrats!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Awwwwww -- I LOVED the story of Hiram eavesdropping!!!! :D :rofl: That is too funny!!!! So cute!!! :heart: What a fantastic interview. Congratulations!!!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Congrats, well deserved.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Congratulations! :hug8: I loved reading your interview.. :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Yayyy!!! It's so fantastic having you as Mayor, Marian! I loved your interview and getting a chance to know a little more about you and Hiram.

Attachments

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
wow great news way to go , i loved the interview

hugssssssssssssssssssss

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Great choice, great interview but then I've always enjoyed Hiriam stories!!!:dance4::dance4:

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Congratulations! :hug8: I loved your interview!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dancing::dance5:Congrats Marian!!! Loved the interview! :laughing12:

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
:congratualtions:Great Interview!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwwwwww Marian..how wonderful..congratulations..loved reading about Hiram and you...I love all your posts and adore you and Hiram to pieces:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.