• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

December 2011 Feathered Estates Showcase ~ Natacha (Shade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
For the month of December 2011 I am excited to highlight Natacha's (Shade) flexible Living Room Setup! She has done an amazing job of making a fun and awesome place for her flock to enjoy and stay active in.

1~What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I have 7 birds, a Lovebird (Piper), a Senegal (Shade), two Red-bellied parrots (Joey & Pixel), two Meyer’s parrots (Petey & Zuri) and one Cape parrot (Léa). The set-up was designed for all of them, although older items might not be entirely suitable for Léa (size wise).

2~Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No – Piper does have a splayed leg but it has never stopped him from doing anything.

3~Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Hunt for sales. My set-up might appear large and expensive, but a big number of items were bought on sale over the last 4 years or so. Start small and build up little by little, it helps spread the costs. As well, my initial set-up included a number of things I had made myself (for example, a homemade Atom). Birds will generally enjoy any form of play gym I found – I “upgraded” mostly for esthetic reasons on certain items.

I’ve also been known to buy things I want when I see a sale even though I can’t quite set it up right now. Because of this type of habit..I currently have an extra GAG net still in the box it came in stored in my apartment. I also bought a second “Cube” (shown below) as the one I have up is quite loved by the birds and I managed to grab the second one at half the cost if normally retails for.

4~Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
Both – the play stands in the living room can easily be moved around if required. And even on the more stationary part (what is hanging from the ceiling) can be moved from one place to the other and given I’m using a number of hooks, the configuration of the pathways can be modified.

5~Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
Oh my..
Things for Wings
Oliver’s Garden
Mother Pluckin’ Bird Toys
Les Jouets Rosie

I also sometimes look around locally for deals – all my Java table top stands have been purchased that way.

6~Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
I have a few. I love my Java stands, particularly the full size one (as opposed to table top stands) and it’s a favorite of the birds as well. As well, I think the birds (and myself by association) LOVE the Atoms/Oddball.

7~If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
This toy –

It’s quite big and they are still working on it!

8~Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?

There are a few foraging opportunities, mostly taken advantage of by Zuri and Pixel. Zuri in particular will systematically check the places for hidden food..he really likes foraging in the whole coconut shells with a few holes in them.

9~What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
I’m running out of space..that always seems to be the biggest issue. I moved once and am planning to do so again soon, but it's not only for the birds and should be the last time for a long time ;)

10~What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
In the birdroom, some of the things hang a bit low, so occasionally I’ll bump my head on them..

11~What do you like most about your setup?

How much fun it seems to be for the birds.

12~Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
Mostly right away – but any addition of new items might make some of them a bit more cautious for a few days.

13~Any future renovations planned?
I will be adding a crawler. But the first thing that needs to change is that I need to buy a house, which will probably happen next year late in the Spring or in early Summer, or at least that is the plan!

Pictures/Video!

The birdroom set-up – it was easier to show it with a video. Please excuse my voice and note that I didn’t have Léa at the time but this was made right after I manage to fit her cage in there!

[video=youtube;AApg9oXC_hA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AApg9oXC_hA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The living room set up – in pictures

One corner with a hanging atom, a triangular swing, a Java table top stant and a metal stand.

Same corner but just the top portion with Léa.

Other corner, play structure (with hooks so I don’t have to make more holes in the ceiling), Atom, Java table top stand and homemade toy.

Java tree

Two Java table top stands which are side by side –

Wingdows- both are side by side in this picture, but as of now, the medium is in the living room and the large is in our bedroom, providing a play area for Léa in the morning when she’s in there with my SO as most of the smaller ones are with me in the living room and Petey has the birdroom to himself.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
WOW what a great setup you have Natacha.Loved the interview.Big congratulations:hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Great set up and interview!! :highfive:

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
Wow great setup Natacha! All the birds must have a blast!

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Love the setup, the birdies must be in heaven! Congrats! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Your setup is truly amazing!

Matt

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Really enjoyed seeing everything :hug8:

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Awesome set up!

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Simply stunning!
Natacha - is there a secret school for parrots in Ontario? Have you been holding out on us?
They must have taken a course on how to play without making a mess:eek:
Everything is so pristine & perfect! Love it!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
awesome setup thanks for sharing

BirdsFTW

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maya
Natacha's Java tree and stands have ALWAYS been my favorite!! The day I find a tree/stand structured like hers, I will snatch it up whether I have the space or not!! :heart:

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Everything is beautiful, and I agree, your Java tree is gorgeous! Congrats and I loved the interview :)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Thanks again everyone!

Simply stunning!
Natacha - is there a secret school for parrots in Ontario? Have you been holding out on us?
They must have taken a course on how to play without making a mess:eek:
Everything is so pristine & perfect! Love it!
Hmm...I wish! :D
No..I cheat. Clean more thoroughly before shots like this and take them from a little further away - it helps ;)

Natacha's Java tree and stands have ALWAYS been my favorite!! The day I find a tree/stand structured like hers, I will snatch it up whether I have the space or not!! :heart:
When I saw my tree, I purchased right away - and I "cheated" as I did so before the vendor room was officially opened but the vendor was quite happy to take my deposit at that time and I paid the remainder of it first thing the following morning (this was at a Parrot Conference).
Many other people had shown interest, as the tree had stayed there until lunch when I had time to bring it to the car!

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Congratulations - great set up and selection of play areas! Always enjoy seeing pics of your beautiful birds!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
That is fantastic Natacha, it looks like birdie paradise!! :D:dancing:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Truely amazing set up,and fantastic interview!

Status
Not open for further replies.