• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

December 2010 Mayor of the Avenue..... Natacha (Shade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm delighted to announce Natacha (Shade) as December's "Mayor of the Avenue"

Please join me in welcoming her :dance5:

I enjoyed your interview and getting to know you a little better :)

1.What kind of birds do you have - age, species and names.

Piper – 5 year old Peachface Lovebird
Shade – 4 year old Senegal parrot
Joey – 5 year old Red-bellied parrot
Petey – believed to be 15 year old Meyer’s parrot
Zuri – 3 year old Meyer’s parrot
Pixel – 6 year old Red-bellied parrot

2. What got you interested in birds?

I’m an animal lover so it doesn’t take much to get me interested in any type of animal. One day when I was very young, we visited a friend of my moms who had a little blue budgie and while we were there, this budgie spent its time on me. I remember thinking it was amazing. I also remember that my mom would talk fondly about the pet budgies she had when she was younger, especially one named Peter who I believe was very special to her. I always thought that when I was older, I was going to get a pet bird.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

I was always pretty responsible but I have to say I think they developed that side of me even more. It’s one thing to be responsible for yourself, it’s another thing when 6 little living beings depend on you. They also bring an extra sense of well being and even if they day is a tough one at work, it’s always nice to come home and get some of their unconditional love.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Birds are messy!..Kidding aside (well they are messy), they have thought me that regardless of what you think you might know about them with whatever research you’ve done, they might just go and act differently from what the “textbook” says and you’ll just have to adapt to it. I also find that you can learn so much about them just by looking at them and studying their body language.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

There is quite a few. The day I met Piper and how he chose me, the day I met Shade as an injured baby and the realization of how vulnerable these little beings are. The first time Joey cuddled very closely to me and the day he just let me hold him on his back – showing how far we made progress in our relationship. These are a few that are on top of the list :)

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Two places really – they spend the day in their bird room and generally when we are home we do take them out in the living room.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Did I change anything? Yes. :lol:
We used to live in a one bedroom apartment and moved to a two bedroom so we could have the extra room for the birds.
My dining room table is no longer a dining room table as there is no space to eat given the two large table stands occupying it (but that is ok as we seldom used it for that purpose anyways). There are other stands and a few hanging gyms (mainly atoms) in the living room to accommodate the birds when they are there.
Also, while I was never a fan of non-stick cookware, the birds gave me a perfectly valid excuse to get only cast iron and stainless steel cookware!

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

For years I was a member of the Ottawa Parrot Club and for the last two I was also a member of the Executive of the Club.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I would say an outside aviary, but given summer in Ontario isn’t quite that long, a very large room that would share the same purpose but that can be used year round with slight modifications would be great!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Cape parrot. It’s been my dream for several years now.
I love the Poicephalus family and the demeanor and happy look of the Capes (they just look like they are smiling all the time) just won me over.

11.Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

During the week, I get up, let them out for a little morning exercise, then put them in for breakfast.
Come home, let them out for an hour or two, put them in with their dinner (while I go eat mine) and then let them out some more.
During the week-end, we are a bit more flexible and there isn’t really a set routine.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

It is very VERY important to properly socialize your bird as early on as possible – bring it out on outings, see new places, new people and if possible, other parrots. Get it used to being handle by other people. I’ve done this with Shade and Piper and they are so very well rounded. It's also apparent that my other birds, which are all rehomes, did not have the same opportunities as Shade and Piper for socialization so I'm working with them on it.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I’m not sure I would do much differently. I didn’t jump in the "bird world" without doing a lot of research and every decision I’ve made has been thought out before it happened.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Photography. I also love to read. I like to cook as well, but don’t really like the cleaning that comes with it.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Enjoy the happiness parrots bring to your lives and spoil them as much as you can :)
Oh and I’m honoured I was chosen for this month’s Mayor of the Avenue. Thanks!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations..what a wonderful choice excellent interview!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Matt

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Congrat!:dance4::laughing12:
Loved the interview!:dancing::hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:yah:
Congratulations Natacha!!!:bliss:

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
A delightful interview. You certain do add to this board and I congratulate you on your new honor.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:cheer: Congratulations Natacha!! :cheer:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Congrats:yah::Congratwav::congrats::dance3::hug8::hug8::hug8:loved the interview

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
awesome interview! Congrats!!

Abbie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie