• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Debating selling her.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Well I know I have to sell my horse regaurdless by next summer (summer 2013). I'm debating just going ahead and trying to sell her now. I bought her as a project. She was a 3 yr old when I bought her with only 50 rides. She has the potential to be worth a LOT, like a lot as in last year before I started working on more than just english a trainer offered me $6,000 for her. Now she does even more and has more experience but she's out of shape which can be fixed.

My main reasoning for considering selling is with my current school class load and how it will be between now and next summer is crazy full time and I'm already struggling and this is why my training with her is starting to slip. My choice is really going to end up either I have to quit my job or sell the horse. I work most nights and if I take that out of the picture then I don't have to worry about not having time for the horse. As it is now I work until about 10pm most nights so I could get out to the barn around 11pm then I have to be up by 7 to make it to my class on time the next day.

I've literally only been to the barn 2-3 times this quarter because of that. Now that I am dropping my morning class (professor screwed me.....) I will be able to go out at night but what would you do?

She has TONS of potential. A couple trainers I talked to who were trying to buy her said they were going to buy her and basically do what I'm doing now and train her for other events as well then sell her for around $15,000 at 5-6 years old.

My goal has always been to train a horse to be a 5 number horse. I doubt I'd get her that high but also the money I could make off her would REALLY help with my move and wedding. I would be making more off her than what I make working min wage. I could also pick up babysitting my cousins after school thats only a couple hours from like 3pm-6pm but that'd be a little extra money on the side.

I've talked to my mom about the whole situation and she's actually the one that brought up me quitting work since with school I don't even have time to study and do homework and this quarter has proved my grades are slipping. I don't want to be a bum living with my parents without a job but like I don't know if I see an option.

Sorry that's long but would you sell the horse and try again with the chance of grades slipping again (keep in mind I've only been to the barn 2-3 times due to not having much time) or would you quit work and take advantage of the fact that my parents are willing to help me out.

I can't drop or get a bad grade in anymore classes....

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
If it were me? I'd likely start the process of looking to find a new owner for her. You're going to have to do it when you move, and this will give you time to work to find the right fit for her. When it comes time to move you're going to be doing a lot of things and you want to make sure you find her a good owner and try to not stress yourself out as well. And you don't really have a lot of time and that's doing her a disservice. She'd likely be a lot better with someone who could devote more time to training with her. If you quit your job you'd have more time, but I'd still urge starting the process of getting her a new home. You can be a part of the process and see how she's doing after she goes to another owners hands. That way when you DO move you'll feel comfortable with where she's at.

AshleyFamily

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laurie & Mark Ashley
Tough decision making time :(
It sounds to me like you need more time on the books to be able to do anything else besides school. Quitting your job may not be a wise course of action, since it is tough to get another one, especially one that will work around your school schedule. Horses are expensive to upkeep, as I am sure you know, without income how do you plan to provide for feed, farrier, supplements, vet expense, gear and equipment and boarding(if you board). Babysitting wont cover all that :) And think of poor Ralphie! LOL how will buy him new toys??

Being that the economy is what it is, looking ahead, would you think there will be that many buyers out there for a 5 figure horse? And, it is a pretty big gamble that you can even sell for that much in a couple years time, taking into consideration illness, injury, training setbacks? Not to mention life can sometimes get in the way of the best laid plans. you could end up putting more time, effort and expense into your horse, to not get anything more out later then what you can get out now.

Just my 2 cents :)

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
If it were me? I'd likely start the process of looking to find a new owner for her. You're going to have to do it when you move, and this will give you time to work to find the right fit for her. When it comes time to move you're going to be doing a lot of things and you want to make sure you find her a good owner and try to not stress yourself out as well. And you don't really have a lot of time and that's doing her a disservice. She'd likely be a lot better with someone who could devote more time to training with her. If you quit your job you'd have more time, but I'd still urge starting the process of getting her a new home. You can be a part of the process and see how she's doing after she goes to another owners hands. That way when you DO move you'll feel comfortable with where she's at.
I'm always looking for that perfect home for her. I've been keeping my eyes peeled since I got engaged. I just haven't been really PUSHING selling her but she's been "for sale" since I got engaged.

Tough decision making time :(
It sounds to me like you need more time on the books to be able to do anything else besides school. Quitting your job may not be a wise course of action, since it is tough to get another one, especially one that will work around your school schedule. Horses are expensive to upkeep, as I am sure you know, without income how do you plan to provide for feed, farrier, supplements, vet expense, gear and equipment and boarding(if you board). Babysitting wont cover all that :) And think of poor Ralphie! LOL how will buy him new toys??

Being that the economy is what it is, looking ahead, would you think there will be that many buyers out there for a 5 figure horse? And, it is a pretty big gamble that you can even sell for that much in a couple years time, taking into consideration illness, injury, training setbacks? Not to mention life can sometimes get in the way of the best laid plans. you could end up putting more time, effort and expense into your horse, to not get anything more out later then what you can get out now.

Just my 2 cents :)
My parents thankfully pay for the horse and gas and the whole nine yards. My money from work just really goes to my savings and buying ralphie butt stuff, occasionally I buy horse stuff too.

I could only get around $3,000-$4,000 right now due to not really showing her over the winter. If I get her back in shape I could get her back to the $6,000 but then again most people don't buy going into winter which is why my thinking was next spring. I mean regaurdless selling her and all the stuff will be plenty to cover some of the wedding, my move and hopefully some more payment on my car. With her I have a lot of "stuff" invested in her. 4 saddles with the cheapest one being $500 and the most expensive $1500.

I may go ahead and try and see how summer quarter goes and decide from there. I probably won't have another horse for quite some time so there's no point in keeping the saddles and stuff.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
And she'd be worth much more ordinarily. She's a world show quality mare.

Tay05

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kaleigh
Can't hurt to start looking now if you already don't have time for her. Plus the horse market is down so it'll take some time to find her the best home anyway!

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
This is a relatively old thread :) I already have her listed for sale but I'm not pushing to sell her.

Status
Not open for further replies.