• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Debating on which conure to get. Currently own one budgie.

parakeet77

Sitting on the front steps
I own one budgie and know how to keep the conure and budgie from fighting/hurting each other. But i am debating on which conure to get. Budget for bird is under $1000USD I currently have 5 candidates:
A GCC :gcc:
A Jenday Conure:jenday:
A Cherry Headed Conure :chc:
A Sun Conure :sun:
A Brown Throated Conure :brtc:

Need help deciding. Help Me?

lol i love these emojis so much*

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
What type of a general personality r u looking for? Any preferences?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How's you're hearing and noise tolerance? :lol:

Is that budget for Bird, cage, toys, perches, and first vet visit or bird only?

Consider looking into rescues where you can meet some birds to see who you click with

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you seen these threads? It could help to read what people who live with these birds have to say :)

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
A few things to weigh . . .

Size -- The Conures you've listed run the gambit of the category. The smallest Conures run just a touch bigger than your budgie to as big as the smallest Macaws. That's an adult weight span of 50g to 200g, and a length between 22 and 33cm . . . and some even bigger you didn't list. What does this mean? The smallest on that list won't be much bigger than your budgie in size, but will weigh twice as much. The biggest will be MUCH bigger, weighing in around SEVEN times heavier. I'm not saying they can't/won't get along, but don't just gravitate to pretty Emojis -- the actual birds can be VERY different in size. Try to figure out how big of a bird you want first.

Rarity -- Green Cheek's are EVERYWHERE. The local Pet Chain usually has one in stock (and they get sold, cute lill' birdies). For good reason too, they're great birds, and there's a LOT of variety in their color. Some of those others? Might not be so easy. With rarity comes price. My cute little roseifrons conure (Essie) cost me twice the price of the GCC in the next cage over (and with as sweet as she is, I felt it was a bargain at that). She's a much less common bird, and that drove the price. Before falling in love with a species (even a variety within a species), be aware the price will range WILDLY.

Individual -- All the above starts the shopping and tells you roughly how much you need to save up . . . but if you have the luxury of meeting with the breeder or visiting regularly with a good pet shop, That can give you a chance to interact with the individual birds. I'd start doing that when you're most of the way toward saving enough up. While species may set size and coloring, and there are some tendencies . . . they're all individuals, and if you hit it off in the first meeting, the better chance of easily forming a good bond. When I bought Essie, I wasn't looking for a roseifrons. I was looking for a bird that wanted to interact. The GCC in the cage next to her was standoffish. Essie leapt out and wanted to play. Her sister in the cage above, wanted nothing to do with us. If I'd had bought either of the other two would we have bonded? Eventually . . . maybe. I went there looking for a GCC. I didn't buy him, or the other roseifrons. I chose Essie. Why? I paid twice the price of the GCC in the next cage over *That I went there looking for* because Essie chose us. I can't say that's going to happen to you, but if you don't go meeting the individuals, it never will.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would definitely encourage you to look into your local rescues and see what birds they have. You might just "click" with one. The rescue I help with just did a year in review. The species of bird that got relinquished the most this past year- conures. :( So, there are lots out there in need of a good home.

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
I would definitely encourage you to look into your local rescues and see what birds they have. You might just "click" with one. The rescue I help with just did a year in review. The species of bird that got relinquished the most this past year- conures. :( So, there are lots out there in need of a good home.
Yes I saw that on their Insta. Wonder why conures of all birds? Cheeku here isn't particularly tough to look after.....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes I saw that on their Insta. Wonder why conures of all birds? Cheeku here isn't particularly tough to look after.....
My guess is it's because so many are sold in pet stores. People walk in and see a cute little bird and buy one without really having any understanding of bird ownership. That combined with they can be nippy and somewhat loud. We always cringe when we see a new store selling birds because we know eventually a portion of those birds will end up at the rescue. Like the time one store had a "sale" on canary-wingeds. What did we suddenly get a lot of ? Canary-wingeds.

parakeet77

What type of a general personality r u looking for? Any preferences?
Im looking for a playful and yes i do know that each conure is an individual and not all want to play/be cuddled. I honestly don't care about the color, its more about how friendly they are.

parakeet77

A few things to weigh . . .

Size -- The Conures you've listed run the gambit of the category. The smallest Conures run just a touch bigger than your budgie to as big as the smallest Macaws. That's an adult weight span of 50g to 200g, and a length between 22 and 33cm . . . and some even bigger you didn't list. What does this mean? The smallest on that list won't be much bigger than your budgie in size, but will weigh twice as much. The biggest will be MUCH bigger, weighing in around SEVEN times heavier. I'm not saying they can't/won't get along, but don't just gravitate to pretty Emojis -- the actual birds can be VERY different in size. Try to figure out how big of a bird you want first.

Rarity -- Green Cheek's are EVERYWHERE. The local Pet Chain usually has one in stock (and they get sold, cute lill' birdies). For good reason too, they're great birds, and there's a LOT of variety in their color. Some of those others? Might not be so easy. With rarity comes price. My cute little roseifrons conure (Essie) cost me twice the price of the GCC in the next cage over (and with as sweet as she is, I felt it was a bargain at that). She's a much less common bird, and that drove the price. Before falling in love with a species (even a variety within a species), be aware the price will range WILDLY.

Individual -- All the above starts the shopping and tells you roughly how much you need to save up . . . but if you have the luxury of meeting with the breeder or visiting regularly with a good pet shop, That can give you a chance to interact with the individual birds. I'd start doing that when you're most of the way toward saving enough up. While species may set size and coloring, and there are some tendencies . . . they're all individuals, and if you hit it off in the first meeting, the better chance of easily forming a good bond. When I bought Essie, I wasn't looking for a roseifrons. I was looking for a bird that wanted to interact. The GCC in the cage next to her was standoffish. Essie leapt out and wanted to play. Her sister in the cage above, wanted nothing to do with us. If I'd had bought either of the other two would we have bonded? Eventually . . . maybe. I went there looking for a GCC. I didn't buy him, or the other roseifrons. I chose Essie. Why? I paid twice the price of the GCC in the next cage over *That I went there looking for* because Essie chose us. I can't say that's going to happen to you, but if you don't go meeting the individuals, it never will.
The personality matters the most to me. I think that a small to medium sized conure would be good. Thanks for the help! I'll do some research.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
I’ve had a yellow sided GCC for 6 years, and think she is a dream :heart:
That said, my lifestyle (self-employed and home a LOT) and temperament make us a good match...definitely read that “good, bad & ugly” article link

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately, there are only a handful of breeders in the US who still breed brown-throated conures and cherry-headed conures. If you are truly set on one of these species, it will be very difficult.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Oh! I neglected to ask what sort of relationship you have with your budgie...my YSGCC BellaBelle is a dream, but, a *jealous* one! She accepts my relationship with the dog, but would make her jealousy and displeasure known quite clearly if I gave too much attention to another bird.
When my 9 year old parakeet passed away, her younger mate was grieving. I tried interacting with him more to cheer him up, and it worked for Galahad budgie, but BellaBelle was outraged (BellaBelle can see everything, but, cages are spaced far apart, with air filter by budgies) she was just not having it. At her insistence, a new budgie came home and started quarantine within days. :rofl:
Galahad and Seraphina called to one another throughout quarantine time spent at opposite ends of the house, and hit it off as soon as they were introduced. So, everyone is happy now.

I guess I’m suggesting that, in my experience, a GCC is best if your relationship with your budgie is more “hands off”.

parakeet77

Oh! I neglected to ask what sort of relationship you have with your budgie...my YSGCC BellaBelle is a dream, but, a *jealous* one! She accepts my relationship with the dog, but would make her jealousy and displeasure known quite clearly if I gave too much attention to another bird.
When my 9 year old parakeet passed away, her younger mate was grieving. I tried interacting with him more to cheer him up, and it worked for Galahad budgie, but BellaBelle was outraged (BellaBelle can see everything, but, cages are spaced far apart, with air filter by budgies) she was just not having it. At her insistence, a new budgie came home and started quarantine within days. :rofl:
Galahad and Seraphina called to one another throughout quarantine time spent at opposite ends of the house, and hit it off as soon as they were introduced. So, everyone is happy now.

I guess I’m suggesting that, in my experience, a GCC is best if your relationship with your budgie is more “hands off”.
My budgie likes to perch but not petted. Thanks for your help! :heart:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
GCC do seem like they want to be or are the center of attention. They are little Napoleons. Small body but lots of personality & energy. That being said the interaction they want with you can be affected by many things & all are not alike. GCC's are also easy to find as are suns/nandays as they can be loud & are often given up for noise issues.

If noise is an issue or you rent etc you have to choose a bird that will work in that situation. GCC's (pyrruhea) are quieter than the aratinga conures but still can be loud.

You would have to keep budgie away from GCC as they have a strong beak capable of inflicting serious injury or death upon a budgie

parakeet77

GCC do seem like they want to be or are the center of attention. They are little Napoleons. Small body but lots of personality & energy. That being said the interaction they want with you can be affected by many things & all are not alike. GCC's are also easy to find as are suns/nandays as they can be loud & are often given up for noise issues.

If noise is an issue or you rent etc you have to choose a bird that will work in that situation. GCC's (pyrruhea) are quieter than the aratinga conures but still can be loud.

You would have to keep budgie away from GCC as they have a strong beak capable of inflicting serious injury or death upon a budgie

Ofc i would only let one bird out at a time and keep them away from each others cages. Noise isn't an issue for me.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I own one budgie and know how to keep the conure and budgie from fighting/hurting each other
You should not have to even write something like this. When birds are mixed species one has to be on constant surveillance and supervision to prevent serious incidents. It is especially true for conures with budgies or cockatiels.