• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dealing with rude encounters....WTD

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
So I brought Zazu into work with me on Saturday. I work in a nursing home/rehab. I work on the rehab floor. So instead of watching everyone die around me i help them get better and go home!. Granted there are several residents that just dont be long on the rehab floor but try telling that to their family who insist that Mary Jane, even though she has no legs and is covered in bed sores will be home in time for Christmas.

Anyway. One of my all time favorite resident was leaving in a few days (discharge date was Monday) so I said that I would bring my bird in for him to see i talk bout my bird alot so that resident named me Zazu. So if he wanted me you and everyone else would hear "ZAAAAZZUUUU....? I NEED YOU" (resident is named Sal)

So in the morning I uncovered Zazu and put her in the travel cage I snuck her in, took the stairs instead of the elevator and quickly put her in the back office. I clocked in said hello to all my peeps and began my day. When Sal returned from Dialysis I told him he had a special visitor today and brought in Zazu. His eyes lit up. Sal is super Italian, very large man, covered in tattoos (face including). So I let Zazu out of her cage and for most of the day Zazu was on her best behavior. Didnt trump to fly after me when I would leave to go do my work. Didnt chirp a whole lot. I was seriously impressed. When I had some free time I did show my parrot off. Some of the questions are as followed

Is that a real bird?
Can it talk?
Can I take a picture?

I walked down the hall with Zazu and showed her to the more alert residents that didnt have any infections or precautions to their room. To the residents who werent hostile. And the residents loved her. Again to my surprise she allowed the residents to pet her. The only people she backed away from or flew away from is this white gay girl and every single black person except my guy Oneil who has such a wonderful laid back personality that I think Zazu felt at ease with him. She even stepped up to him. At the end of the day I brought her home and put her in her cage and we both took a nap!

Would I do this again? If another resident of mine wanted to meet Zazu. But u wouldnt just bring Zazu in. At the end of the day I realized how undereducated people are on parrots. They truly think every bird can talk and that they will be giant parrots.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
BIRDS THAT ARE COMFORTABLE ENOUGH can really be a big help, so thank you from me.

Even though we had discussed parrots the previous class, most of that first class was spent talking birds. Subsequent visits got easier on everybody. Actually, some of my birds were classroom regulars.

Obviously, a classroom is very different from a rehab wing! When my mother was hospitalized, the birds regularly visited. The nurses said the patients were more benevolent and calm after the fids visited. They helped me get past "the first floor police" (admin) several times. :)

The main problems seem to arise from short-term encounters. Although Sal wasn't expecting Zazu, he already respected her. Those chance meetings tend to be with people that just want to be able to prove how cool they are.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
This weekend I learned that Scallywags, does NOT like to be called “Polly”. We were walking along the boardwalk when one of the manatee tour boats pointed over to us. Anything to make the paying the tourists feel special right?? Well a rather intoxicated woman started pointing at Scallywags and begun to yell “Polly want a cracker and Polly want a beer?” Scallywags proceeded to yell “F—- You, B—“ and “shut the —— up”. My old girl needs soap.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This weekend I learned that Scallywags, does NOT like to be called “Polly”. We were walking along the boardwalk when one of the manatee tour boats pointed over to us. Anything to make the paying the tourists feel special right?? Well a rather intoxicated woman started pointing at Scallywags and begun to yell “Polly want a cracker and Polly want a beer?” Scallywags proceeded to yell “F—- You, B—“ and “shut the —— up”. My old girl needs soap.
No Scallywags, just needs to learn how to say "I can talk & fly" "What about you, beach, can you fly?"

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
Though I really do hope Zazu isnt racist. I was joking with Oneil in the elevator.

I think Zazu is racist. So far she has ran away from every black person that came near her. All ranging from Caramel to Dark Chocolate in color.. (oneil is dark chocolate)

He goes That's okay. Most of the world is racist. Nothing different there. I was so nervous cause oneil ismy bestest work buddy and I really wanted them to hit it off. So when Oneil came into Sals room. Zazu was on top of her cage knocking plastic cups over. (Side note. Oneil only has use of one arm. Due to a accident) so I picked up Zazu and showed her Oneil and she just started at him. Oneil SLOWLY brought his hand up to attempt to pet her and she allowed it. I also think the approach to petting a bird plays a big part. So I let Zazu perch on Oneil but he couldnt so much with her cause again. He only has use of one hand. So they just stood there looking at each other. Adorable sight.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Though I really do hope Zazu isnt racist. I was joking with Oneil in the elevator.

I think Zazu is racist. So far she has ran away from every black person that came near her. All ranging from Caramel to Dark Chocolate in color.. (oneil is dark chocolate)

He goes That's okay. Most of the world is racist. Nothing different there. I was so nervous cause oneil ismy bestest work buddy and I really wanted them to hit it off. So when Oneil came into Sals room. Zazu was on top of her cage knocking plastic cups over. (Side note. Oneil only has use of one arm. Due to a accident) so I picked up Zazu and showed her Oneil and she just started at him. Oneil SLOWLY brought his hand up to attempt to pet her and she allowed it. I also think the approach to petting a bird plays a big part. So I let Zazu perch on Oneil but he couldnt so much with her cause again. He only has use of one hand. So they just stood there looking at each other. Adorable sight.
If Zazu has never been around or met people with darker skin (no matter the shade) he's probably looking at them the way he'd look at you if you suddenly changed your hair or nail colour. My flock checks me out when I change my hair cut or colour, they do a very cautious approach until Beni comes over & gives an "all clear" by flying to me and sitting on my shoulder.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi

It also happens with dogs and horses. So no worries Zazu isn’t racist. I agree a million percent, it’s all about approach. Unless it’s Scallywags. If your not Margaret, she doesn’t care about what approach you take. She’s going to bite you.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I’m amazed by the fact that I hadn’t had to update this lately.....Till today. I had a woman scold me for not allowing my birds to free fly. After listening to her uneducated rant she than had the nerve to ask to hold my greys. I gave her a firm no and she went berserk. She actually went to the park ranger and complained that I wasn’t allowing her to hold my birds and that I was being cruel for not allowing them to fly and be birds.
My “stupid encounters” clock had to be reset. I was enjoying a good run

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I’m amazed by the fact that I hadn’t had to update this lately.....Till today. I had a woman scold me for not allowing my birds to free fly. After listening to her uneducated rant she than had the nerve to ask to hold my greys. I gave her a firm no and she went berserk. She actually went to the park ranger and complained that I wasn’t allowing her to hold my birds and that I was being cruel for not allowing them to fly and be birds.
My “stupid encounters” clock had to be reset. I was enjoying a good run
You Can't Fix Stupid YCFS. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of that ranger later in the day when he/she went off-duty. I'm praticing : Do you have grandchildren? Good, I'll free-fly my birds the day you let your grandkids play in traficc unsupervised. I know it sounds awful but goodness gracious has everyone lost their mind?

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
You Can't Fix Stupid YCFS. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of that ranger later in the day when he/she went off-duty. I'm praticing : Do you have grandchildren? Good, I'll free-fly my birds the day you let your grandkids play in traficc unsupervised. I know it sounds awful but goodness gracious has everyone lost their mind?
Lol. I have some dooseys that I’ve posted. This is actually one of the more civil idiot encounters.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I love the leash with the statements on them. I’d say a good solution to this being in public issue would be to do something like they do with working dogs. They wear that vest that says I’m working don’t pet me. Maybe you could wear a vest that says yes they bite don’t pet them

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I love the leash with the statements on them. I’d say a good solution to this being in public issue would be to do something like they do with working dogs. They wear that vest that says I’m working don’t pet me. Maybe you could wear a vest that says yes they bite don’t pet them
Or maybe the vest should say “If they bite me. THEY WILL BITE YOU!!”

L

Lans

Why don't you let them pet your birds? It is not often people see parrots and it is polite to let them pet the animal.
Tell them that the parrot could potentially bite and that bites can be severely painful and rip pieces of skin and meat off however if they wish to proceed petting him then it is on their own risk and they have been warned.
That is what I would do depending on the situation ofc.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why don't you let them pet your birds? It is not often people see parrots and it is polite to let them pet the animal.
Tell them that the parrot could potentially bite and that bites can be severely painful and rip pieces of skin and meat off however if they wish to proceed petting him then it is on their own risk and they have been warned.
Because parrots are not dogs, most don't like being petted by their people let alone a complete stranger. If you okay a stranger petting your bird, and they get bit, YOU become responsible for the damages.
EDIT: also, chivalry goes out the door when it comes to putting my bird's welfare before a stranger's curiosity.

L

Lans

Because parrots are not dogs, most don't like being petted by their people let alone a complete stranger. If you okay a stranger petting your bird, and they get bit, YOU become responsible for the damages.
Oh... I didn't know that you become responsible. thanks for informing me. Yeah that's not something I would want to deal with tbh...
But cockatoos would like it tbh

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh... I didn't know that you become responsible. thanks for informing me. Yeah that's not something I would want to deal with tbh...
But cockatoos would like it tbh
It's the same with dogs. If you invite a guest into your home, and your dog bites them, because you invited them in, you are legally responsible. Now if they enter without permission, unleash the hounds. . .

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I told to my TAG Edgar once: do not bite grandma (my mother). You are not allowed raw meat. So maybe this is what could be told to strangers who want to pet our birds without our permision: you cannot pet him/her. Raw meat is unhealthy for parrots.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I’ve allowed Strangers to hold Luna, (she is a people person and happily will jump from finger to finger. But if a person is rude than wants to hold them. It’s a very quick and easy “no” from me. I also scold people that reach in without asking. It’s not safe for either the parrot in question or the person.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
For anybody who wants to pet your parrot and gets confrontational, I'd suggest the following answer: "I need to see your rabies vaccination certificate before I can let you pet him/her".

It'll give them a moment of pause while they think it over.