• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dealing with rude encounters....WTD

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
My littles don't go places with unless it's the vet.
But one of my friends has two macaws, Fast Freddie and Little Eddie. Freddie is a love but he has to know you first. Eddie came from god awful home that he wasn't taken care worth a tinker's da ₩^. He is finally looking alot better, after decent food and care.
Nicky takes them with alot places, he has encountered alot rude, get in your space people. He has both birds in harnesses, he found a place that makes Velcro strips that have wording on them. Freddie's is "I BITE! " . Eddie's is "Me too" . Those strips are on their leashes both sides.
I can ask him where he got them this weekend, it's a volunteer weekend.
I would LOVE to know where he got his “name harnesses” I greatly appreciate it.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This is Cotton. My little “Attack AToo” fresh out of the shower.

I’d also like to note, she wasn’t threatening me in the photo she was over eager about “shoulder time”
She's beautiful. I'd probably try to pet her!

:faint:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I can relate to this post all too well. The number one question I always hear about Java is, "what is it? " Poor guy may have an identity crisis: vulture, pigeon, crow, hawk, baby bird. The struggle is real lol

Maybe he's really Snoopy pretending to be a vulture?

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
She's beautiful. I'd probably try to pet her!

:faint:
She is my gorgeous little Cotton Buzzard lol.
What killed me is that Cotton have this lunatic woman SO SO many warning signs of “BACK OFF” from hissing and mock biting to actually catching her finger at one point. But Cottons last straw is when the woman decided to get 2 inches from my face and grab my wrist. That’s when Cotton went into attack mode.

I took this photo of Luna and Cotton while we were in the vets office.
I honestly didn’t feel bad for the nose job Cotton gave her and she was lucky because the girls had just gotten their nails trimmed. Otherwise she would have had the “Joker” face to boot.

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
My littles don't go places with unless it's the vet.
But one of my friends has two macaws, Fast Freddie and Little Eddie. Freddie is a love but he has to know you first. Eddie came from god awful home that he wasn't taken care worth a tinker's da ₩^. He is finally looking alot better, after decent food and care.
Nicky takes them with alot places, he has encountered alot rude, get in your space people. He has both birds in harnesses, he found a place that makes Velcro strips that have wording on them. Freddie's is "I BITE! " . Eddie's is "Me too" . Those strips are on their leashes both sides.
I can ask him where he got them this weekend, it's a volunteer weekend.
Your friend needs a t-shirt that reads "Please do not feed the birds fingers!".

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
I suppose that we have to take into account non bird people have little or no idea anything about birds.
So from the outset of making your flock available to the public at large. Keep in the forefront of your mind , this could be awkward and or difficult dealing with our fellow human beings.
Offer a warning parrot bites are painful.
Enjoy your birds.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Some of these encounters sound rude to me, but others just sound like people seeing something they've never seen before and wanting to know more about it. I don't take my birds out in public much, but I think a lot of this is to be expected, and that we should just try to politely educate people. Our birds can be ambassadors for their wild cousins; it seems like it's our responsibility to use these opportunities.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Fia baby and Geff, please don’t misunderstand. I know bringing my feathered flock will undoubtably bring attention. I hold no grievances to those that are polite and understanding. My only issue are those that are inconsiderate and rude.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Well it’s great you had witnesses, and it sounds like that woman got what was coming to her. Some people can be so stupid it’s amazing. I love the siren part!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I suppose that we have to take into account non bird people have little or no idea anything about birds.
So from the outset of making your flock available to the public at large. Keep in the forefront of your mind , this could be awkward and or difficult dealing with our fellow human beings.
Offer a warning parrot bites are painful.
Enjoy your birds.
Wonder what would happen if you told them your bird bites and then ask the human if they've been vaccinated against rabies as they might contaminate your bird? And a vet bill would be $500+?

Even as a kid, my mum always told Rob & I that we should always ask before petting anyone's dog. And to always approach from the front and let the dog smell your hand FIRST. We had an English cocker spaniel, Davy, who was very good, didn't bite, but did not like it at all when people came up from behind him and patted his rump. He was always on a leash and we'd try to keep him in front of us so that his back was protected. He'd snapped at a couple of idiots and one made a fuss about his being "bitten" and calling police to have Davy put in quarantine for rabies (S. America). My mother asked to look at the "bite" (not even skin broken) and she told the person to call the police, Davy's rabies certificate was at home and she would make a complaint that the person tried to touch her dog without permission. That ended that conversation then and there. The person took my mother for a fool foreigner and probably thought she'd give him $ to go away. My mother was the wrong person to mess with.

And yet infants and toddlers could walk up to Davy and do the exact same thing and he never turned a hair. It was like Davy knew they were little ones.

I ask before I try to approach any pet and I also ask if I may take a photo of their bird. I'll be honest - I'm a little wary of large beaks - randomly approaching a large bird (my biggest is a sun conure) is out of the question for me. And taking photos is like an invasion of privacy, I would not want pix of my grandchildren taken by any Jane/ John Doe. Nowadays you don't know where they'll end up.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Wonder what would happen if you told them your bird bites and then ask the human if they've been vaccinated against rabies as they might contaminate your bird? And a vet bill would be $500+?

Even as a kid, my mum always told Rob & I that we should always ask before petting anyone's dog. And to always approach from the front and let the dog smell your hand FIRST. We had an English cocker spaniel, Davy, who was very good, didn't bite, but did not like it at all when people came up from behind him and patted his rump. He was always on a leash and we'd try to keep him in front of us so that his back was protected. He'd snapped at a couple of idiots and one made a fuss about his being "bitten" and calling police to have Davy put in quarantine for rabies (S. America). My mother asked to look at the "bite" (not even skin broken) and she told the person to call the police, Davy's rabies certificate was at home and she would make a complaint that the person tried to touch her dog without permission. That ended that conversation then and there. The person took my mother for a fool foreigner and probably thought she'd give him $ to go away. My mother was the wrong person to mess with.

And yet infants and toddlers could walk up to Davy and do the exact same thing and he never turned a hair. It was like Davy knew they were little ones.

I ask before I try to approach any pet and I also ask if I may take a photo of their bird. I'll be honest - I'm a little wary of large beaks - randomly approaching a large bird (my biggest is a sun conure) is out of the question for me. And taking photos is like an invasion of privacy, I would not want pix of my grandchildren taken by any Jane/ John Doe. Nowadays you don't know where they'll end up.
I’m quick to tell people they need to ask to take photos. I had one woman take photos of my underage (12) daughter holding her Scallywags while she was in a bathing suit. I instantly become angry bear momma. The woman refused to delete the photos or see the reason why I was so upset, till I started taking photos of her kids. Than she got the point.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok I talked to Nicky tonight, he bought the leashes from Esty, but that person is no longer on Esty. He suggested looking on Amazon. He also said there are places that customized leashes. He use a cat leashes.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Ok I talked to Nicky tonight, he bought the leashes from Esty, but that person is no longer on Esty. He suggested looking on Amazon. He also said there are places that customized leashes. He use a cat leashes.
I will paroose Etsy and see if I can find someone. Or amazon. I love Etsy though. Lol

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have an embroidery machine and make custom name/ saying collars and leashes for dogs.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I have an embroidery machine and make custom name/ saying collars and leashes for dogs.
I would need 3 leashes. One for Scallywags, definitely needs a “warning” type saying. I eat fingers, I’m a vampire, So I will bite you etc etc
Cotton would need a similar styled one
And Luna is just a whore for attention. Lol

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I will paroose Etsy and see if I can find someone. Or amazon. I love Etsy though. Lol
I will be happy to embroider your leash! It only takes a minute on the Brother digital machine. I make everything for dogs: vests, fur lined winter coats, party dresses and wedding gowns and tuxes! People love dressing up their pups!

Send me your leash and I'll embroider whatever you want on it then send it right back.

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I would need 3 leashes. One for Scallywags, definitely needs a “warning” type saying. I eat fingers, I’m a vampire, So I will bite you etc etc
The weather is cold now here in Michigan, so outdoor time with the Fids won't happen again for quite a while. So I have time to do a same day turn around on leashes. And there won't be a fee for my AA pals!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
This is the width of the collar/ leash I use for dogs. Too wide for birds I guess. Any ideas??? IMG_20181108_205326.jpg