• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dealing with fruit flies.

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
Lately, I've been having a lot of trouble with fruit flies around Zees cage. I usually give her some fresh fruits and veggies at about 7:30-8:00 and by 8:15 their fruit flies all over the place. obviously I can't just stop giving her fresh foods, and sticky traps or sprays wouldn't be safe. Before I adopted her I just used pesticides which isnt an option now. Any bird-safe suggestions for flies?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I use ACV with a drop or two of dish liquid in it.
I put the vinegar and dish liquid in a bowl and cover with glad wrap/cling wrap then poke a few holes through. They will go in for the vinegar then when they land they will drown as the dish liquid makes it impossible for them to land on the liquid without sinking.
They will actually be vinegar flies as opposed to fruit flies I believe. image.jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yup. Some ACV and a little dish soap. I also drop a piece of fruit in there to make it more appealing. Then a paper cone. They can get in bit they can't get out.
70530444-5E7E-4C28-B2C8-8758704B3EB6.jpeg

Alb104

Checking out the neighborhood
Has anyone tried putting down a layer of baking soda on top of the papers at the bottom of the cage would help "dry up" any fecal or food droppings, and keep the flies from being attracted to the wet matter? Or maybe a thin layer of something like Pretty Litter, a silica cat litter that absorbs moisture and dries up pee and poo? Thoughts? Trying to think of something to keep the flies off in between changing the papers.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Has anyone tried putting down a layer of baking soda on top of the papers at the bottom of the cage would help "dry up" any fecal or food droppings, and keep the flies from being attracted to the wet matter? Or maybe a thin layer of something like Pretty Litter, a silica cat litter that absorbs moisture and dries up pee and poo? Thoughts? Trying to think of something to keep the flies off in between changing the papers.
This thread is very old.

However, the paper linings should be changed daily. If you have issues with fruit flies in paper, you may need to change twice daily after meals.

I would not recommend any type of powdery substances in the bottom of your birds cage.

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
You should also try to find the source of the flies. Sometimes it's fruit, but it can also be house plants. They like to nest in the wet soil. If I find fruit flies around, I stop watering my house plants for about two weeks and let them get dry. Seems to help.

Alb104

Checking out the neighborhood
I would not recommend any type of powdery substances in the bottom of your birds cage.
I didn't know that if it were below the bars, and baking soda, that it would be a bad idea still. Thanks!

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Baking soda isn't toxic and is safe around birds. It's more the dust particles that can get stirred up in the air.

If you have a removable tray, you can sprinkle it to absorb moisture, and then sweep up. Make sure to do so away from birds.

But if doing all that, it's much easier to just change the lining.

Yuki Shiro

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stefan
"You should also try to find the source of the flies. Sometimes it's fruit, but it can also be house plants. They like to nest in the wet soil. If I find fruit flies around, I stop watering my house plants for about two weeks and let them get dry. Seems to help."

Well, I want to untangle these things a bit.
There are a few different kind of flies.

There are these little flies that go to fruits and to sour things like vinegar. Fruit flies, drosophila. Some call them vinegar flies.
These traps, as described above, help. Also keep your house very clean for a period of time:
All food, especially fruits, that are eaten, but not only, immediately to the trash. All other fruits (etc.) into areas unreachable by fruit flies.
At the same time, don't produce a feeding ground for fungus.
Get out the trash every day or make it totally inaccessible to the flies.
- Well, as for feeding the parrots with fruits, hopefully the other user's tips help.

There are these little flies around your plants. Fungus gnats AKA sciarids.
The may come, if the plant is a bit overwatered. They don't like your food. You may consider watering the plants from below for a time.

There are flies in the bathroom. Drain flies, "psychodidae", also very tiny. It helps to pour hot water in the sink every day for a time.
I don't know what they eat. But they don't belong there, I guess. They look like mini moths.