• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dealing with bluffing?

asrielshaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bethany
I finally realized today that the time has come for my sweet little baby to temporarily turn into an edgy twat :confused:

Asriel is a coming 1-year-old Indian Ringneck male. :irnb:Yesterday I noticed him flirting/posing for the first time, at his hanging bell ball of all things. I've seen him doing his little heart wings more often, and just acting a little more confident and energetic in general. He was sitting on my arm this morning, looking in a little mirror. His reaction to his reflection has always been to pin his eyes, touch his beak or bite at the "other bird". Sometimes he makes little noises. He'll also pin his eyes and touch his beak to me in a similar fashion. This morning however he leaned back and lunged at my face.
I've never been 100% sure if it's been a good idea to let him look in a mirror. I also didn't know for sure if the behavior was negative, him getting defensive, or just being curious. Doing my best to give him plenty of things to do and chew on, and with the whole COVID-19 situation I've been spending a lot more time at home. My computer and desk is in the same room as his cage, so even if we're not interacting directly, we're still keeping each other company. Asriel seems content and happy, and has been talking more with me around and responding to me! I'm just worried that I might be doing something. I know that bluffing is an extremely formative time for a young bird, and the last thing I want to do is mess up our relationship.

Any other tips for assessing and dealing with this behavior?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
View attachment 332766 View attachment 332767

Here's the pretty boy growing into his turquoise color <3
...such a handsome guy! ;)

IMO, bluffing is really body language that IRNs like to use. Most of them don't want to "go to the bite" (so to speak) as a first response to something...like fear or anger. If they can "bluff" or fake a strike and get the desired result-such as the removal of something that bothers them- so be it! Better than biting...

Asriel is maturing...so I would refrain from him looking in the mirror...it seems to be stimulating him in a negative way. We never had a mirror for Titan, our Ringneck. Always be cautious when he's around your face....a good rule for any interaction with any bird, really.

If Asriel is happy and content, then you're obviously doing something right...keep on keeping on...:yes3: