• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

De Worming

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Question. To treat for worms or not!

I am of the mind and advise not to treat for worms unless you know your bird/birds have them.
My own birds have never tested positive, so do not treat.
And would only treat after gram stain and then on Avian Vets advice.
I believe in never using any medications without reason.
But have someone who says they need treating twice a year? Yet do not confirm that their birds Do Have worms?
Comments please.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our birds have never had worms, so I don't know anything about treating the problem.
A great thought for animals or people....

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I believe in the same thing. I'm very careful with medications both for me and my animals.

I had a internet friend that had a flock of budgies and tiels and she was giving them Ivomec twice a year for no reason at all.
I told her to take the sick budgies to the vet but she always knew what was best for them and give them medicine without knowing what she was doing.
She lost a lot of budgies and tiels and I had no other options then to report her to the authorities. Sad to be forced to do that, but she was not listing when I tell her that she was not a veterinarian.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Parrots in the United States generally don't need dewormed. Sometimes it's an issue for outdoor aviary birds but I wouldn't deworm unless I definitely knew my bird had worms

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I had a internet friend that had a flock of budgies and tiels and she was giving them Ivomec twice a year for no reason at all.
I told her to take the sick budgies to the vet but she always knew what was best for them and give them medicine without knowing what she was doing.
She lost a lot of budgies and tiels and I had no other options then to report her to the authorities. Sad to be forced to do that, but she was not listing when I tell her that she was not a veterinarian.
Such a sad story...:(