• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Day two done...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Ok so here's what I've learned so far. They may say that Greys are the most smart birds out there, but I think we need to differentiate between intelligence smarts and manipulative smarts :D Less than 48 hours in and I'm blown away at how easily this U2 can manipulate everyone. She gets excited and dances and then turns around and bites so fast you don't know it's coming. Then she starts laughing so hysterically that everyone falls in line and laughs right along with her. Uh hello? Manipulation!

Earlier she tried snapping at my hand. I sternly said "No Step up!" and she stepped up and started sweetly saying "SORRY" I said "No bite" and she repeats "No bite...sorry!....hi baby!" She has very apparently ruled the roost for a long time. For a rescue I'm not sure how much rehabilitating they were doing. I was told she only ate seed. Luckily for me she's eating some pellets, but she won't touch human food at all.

I wish I had some background on her. Unfortunately other than her vet records I'll never have a complete history on her because the owner of the rescue passed away which is why she's here with me now. We're going to have to figure this out as we go along. So here's the plan for the changes we're going to make. If she bites, it's going to be straight to the cage with no reaction. She's going to go to bed at a decent time in order to get 10+ hours a night sleep. For the time being we are going to keep exciting dancing and stimulation to a minimum.

Just so you all know, I'm not upset about any of this nor am I concerned. I'm ready to take this challenge head on and I will be her last home if I can help it. She needs consistency and love and I'm ready to give it to her :)

Any other suggestions? I feel like I need a blog to post about our new adventure :D

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Ok so here's what I've learned so far. They may say that Greys are the most smart birds out there, but I think we need to differentiate between intelligence smarts and manipulative smarts :D Less than 48 hours in and I'm blown away at how easily this U2 can manipulate everyone. She gets excited and dances and then turns around and bites so fast you don't know it's coming. Then she starts laughing so hysterically that everyone falls in line and laughs right along with her. Uh hello? Manipulation!

Earlier she tried snapping at my hand. I sternly said "No Step up!" and she stepped up and started sweetly saying "SORRY" I said "No bite" and she repeats "No bite...sorry!....hi baby!" She has very apparently ruled the roost for a long time. For a rescue I'm not sure how much rehabilitating they were doing. I was told she only ate seed. Luckily for me she's eating some pellets, but she won't touch human food at all.

I wish I had some background on her. Unfortunately other than her vet records I'll never have a complete history on her because the owner of the rescue passed away which is why she's here with me now. We're going to have to figure this out as we go along. So here's the plan for the changes we're going to make. If she bites, it's going to be straight to the cage with no reaction. She's going to go to bed at a decent time in order to get 10+ hours a night sleep. For the time being we are going to keep exciting dancing and stimulation to a minimum.

Just so you all know, I'm not upset about any of this nor am I concerned. I'm ready to take this challenge head on and I will be her last home if I can help it. She needs consistency and love and I'm ready to give it to her :)

Any other suggestions? I feel like I need a blog to post about our new adventure :D
I think a blog is definitely in order.

Vicki

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Good luck! Sounds like you have a real trickster on your hands!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The roller coaster has barely left the starting gate. My only advice today is make sure those seatbelts are on nice and tight and hold on.

You have a great attitude and I hope you have the patience to match it because it will be very trying at times.

Onward and upward. :)

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
The roller coaster has barely left the starting gate.
And I already have multiple scars to prove it! :rofl:

My only advice today is make sure those seatbelts are on nice and tight and hold on.

You have a great attitude and I hope you have the patience to match it because it will be very trying at times.

Onward and upward. :)
Thanks! I'm sure I'll have many more buttons pushed in the near future ;) I'll be interested in re-reading this a year from now :D

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
She does sound like she has been a bit spoiled :)

Glad you have her :)
It's so funny because I always heard that Greys were such a challenge but I never have had one day of issues with Dakota. I thought maybe it's just not as bad as they say. So I figured, sure a Too is gonna be tough work but I faced having an African Grey and was ok with that. This won't be as bad as they make it sound. :rofl: I've got quite a bit of learning to do! LOL

I think a blog is definitely in order.

Vicki
Yeah I'm looking forward to reading these posts a few months from now and seeing how things have improved ;)

Good luck! Sounds like you have a real trickster on your hands!
And smart as a whip! She picked up my daughter's name already today!

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
What an adventure for the two of you,

And on the measure of intelligence as much as we want our companions to be smart sometimes it's a mixed blessing. I remember a show on canine intelligence and an expert asked"Why do you want the brightest--why not the dog that doesn't even know you were gone"???

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
What an adventure for the two of you,

And on the measure of intelligence as much as we want our companions to be smart sometimes it's a mixed blessing. I remember a show on canine intelligence and an expert asked"Why do you want the brightest--why not the dog that doesn't even know you were gone"???
Hehe good point!

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I know they are manipulators!!! They do such crazy things and then you look at them and have to laugh. Can't stay mad at them too long.:lol:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I know they are manipulators!!! They do such crazy things and then you look at them and have to laugh. Can't stay mad at them too long.:lol:
And she counts on that! :rofl:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing I have found writing a journal helped me:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
This is going to be one big adventure. I wish only the best for you, Babycakes and your family.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.