• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Day off with new guy

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I have the day off and it’s been so good spending time with new guy!
By the way, I was finally contacted by the DNA company, they said they’re “working on the bloodwork” and will have results on the 26th. Ugh! So another nameless week ahead for the little guy.
We’re just here eating blueberries, watching Queer Eye and cleaning up the house.
He’s flown twice today! Very badly, but it’s the effort that counts!
I’ve also observed why he falls off his perch in the night. Today, a couple times he’s begun to nap on his portable t-stand thing, and as he’s falling asleep, he falls off his perch! I don’t know how to help him with that. He has no dowel rods in his cage, so that’s not the issue. They’re all textured or natural. Any advice on how to help him there would be great.
AfterlightImage.jpeg
AfterlightImage.jpeg
AfterlightImage.jpeg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Yay on fight attempts
Ugh on waiting on DNA
On sleeping, see if he will take to sleeping on a platform, in those bird tunnels like @Emma&pico have , or if you feel comfortable with a hut, I found some and have made some out of fabric canvas material, and pet smart has some that aren't fluffy thst I like and use ..my Ta-dah has a hut . I've tried seagrass ones ..but my birds must find them uncomfortable and don't use for sleeping
But I hope you find the reason for the falling

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
IMG_7468.jpeg
what about something like this in corner he sleeps

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Yay on fight attempts
Ugh on waiting on DNA
On sleeping, see if he will take to sleeping on a platform, in those bird tunnels like @Emma&pico have , or if you feel comfortable with a hut, I found some and have made some out of fabric canvas material, and pet smart has some that aren't fluffy thst I like and use ..my Ta-dah has a hut . I've tried seagrass ones ..but my birds must find them uncomfortable and don't use for sleeping
But I hope you find the reason for the falling
Yeah, I don’t know the reason? He does have platform perches, but I’m not sure if he’s using them at night. I imagine not since he’s falling. It was interesting watching him fall off today, right before my eyes. He just started dozing and then just loosened his grip and slipped right off. Nothing dramatic happened, he didn’t get scared or anything… so I don’t know!
I’ve never used those guys because I’ve been afraid of them ingesting the fuzz, but I’ll look into the other things you suggested.

Oh that’s a while yet 26th I can’t wait to see who you have do you have any name ideas yet ?
I’ve got this pip loves it pip also prefers flat perches he sleeps on top of a top though
I have a million names that go through my head every day. My partner think his name is Joseph. Which is cute for a parrot, but I don’t know. Malcolm maybe…Kevin. Lol! I like human names. For a girl, Dulce, Claudia, Olimpia, Ingrid, there are a ton. It’s going to be just something I land on. So many could fit him..

He has flat perches but doesn’t seem to sleep on them. Spends lots of time on them during the day though..

I’ll look up your suggestions!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Yeah, I don’t know the reason? He does have platform perches, but I’m not sure if he’s using them at night. I imagine not since he’s falling. It was interesting watching him fall off today, right before my eyes. He just started dozing and then just loosened his grip and slipped right off. Nothing dramatic happened, he didn’t get scared or anything… so I don’t know!
I’ve never used those guys because I’ve been afraid of them ingesting the fuzz, but I’ll look into the other things you suggested.

I have a million names that go through my head every day. My partner think his name is Joseph. Which is cute for a parrot, but I don’t know. Malcolm maybe…Kevin. Lol! I like human names. For a girl, Dulce, Claudia, Olimpia, Ingrid, there are a ton. It’s going to be just something I land on. So many could fit him..

He has flat perches but doesn’t seem to sleep on them. Spends lots of time on them during the day though..

I’ll look up your suggestions!
As he got set place he sleeps on a night maybe you could move a flat perch there ?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Or a thicker branch remi loves cork branches it’s really thick and he can just rest doesn’t have to hold on as much

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's just so precious! I can get lost in his sweet face :heart:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
He's so cute!!!

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
That's great advice Emma. When IQ needed to have platform perches I put one in his favorite sleep spot. Was such a relief not to hear him crashing in the night anymore.

Orphansparrow ~ does your little companion have issues with balance/gripping when he/she isn't sleeping?
Your little ball of feathers is really adorable. :heart:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
He's so cute!!!
:heart:
That's great advice Emma. When IQ needed to have platform perches I put one in his favorite sleep spot. Was such a relief not to hear him crashing in the night anymore.

Orphansparrow ~ does your little companion have issues with balance/gripping when he/she isn't sleeping?
Your little ball of feathers is really adorable. :heart:
Yes he actually does a bit! It’s really hard for him to get the hang of sitting on my shoulder when I’m moving around. He hangs on with his feet AND beak. He acts like he’s on a bucking bronco! And I’ve noticed he doesn’t grip my finger as tight as Duckie does. It may be due to him just not having practice - as I understand it, he spent the last 6 years of his life in a cage with little to no outside time. His old cage had mostly flat perches and a loft/balcony area, so I think he mostly moved around from flat surface to flat surface. He was definitely loved through the bars because this guy loves scritches more than any bird I’ve ever known. He puts his head down like I’ve seen cockatiels do when I approach him.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
It’s from scarlet parrots in uk though
Seriously nuts as flat perches

my cork branches are just reptile ones I just zip tie them onto cages they all prefer them to normal perches I think because it’s softer they can get a better grip

@Shannan as some brilliant ideas for grip issues

is he falling every night

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Sounds like such a great bird. My Walter used to love to get skritches and we have just taught my daughters conure to take skritches through the cage bars. As far as grip goes, flat perches are the way to go for his sleep area. As far as other options in the cage, I would cover the wood perches with vetwrap. Rope perches (which I also wrapped in vet wrap so Walter wouldn't shred them are also easier to grip. One option I also saw was where someone put a padded box under the birds sleep perch so if he fell, it was only an inch to the flat box. This article really helped me when I was setting up for Walter. Lower in the article it shows the sleep box. I also had rescued a Nanday who could not even open her feet all the way due to poor living conditions and over time with lots of variety of perch options she improved greatly so hopefully your guy will too. Can't wait to hear what you name him. (Walter is a great name......hint hint......;)

Modifying a Cage for a Disabled Parrot | ThinkParrot

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
What a cutie patootie :loveshower:

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
:heart:

Yes he actually does a bit! It’s really hard for him to get the hang of sitting on my shoulder when I’m moving around. He hangs on with his feet AND beak. He acts like he’s on a bucking bronco! And I’ve noticed he doesn’t grip my finger as tight as Duckie does. It may be due to him just not having practice - as I understand it, he spent the last 6 years of his life in a cage with little to no outside time. His old cage had mostly flat perches and a loft/balcony area, so I think he mostly moved around from flat surface to flat surface. He was definitely loved through the bars because this guy loves scritches more than any bird I’ve ever known. He puts his head down like I’ve seen cockatiels do when I approach him.
If the poor little guy/gal was functioning across a lot of flat surfaces it makes perfect sense somehow that they might have strength issues. The use it or lose it syndrome. As I understand it, and I'm no expert, when birds sleep their feet are supposed to lock in place so they don't go crashing, if this little one hasn't had to do that maybe his/her muscle memory is in need of retraining. To get him working his legs/feet a bit more perhaps giving him a ladder to climb would be helpful, and maybe extending the distance [just a little bit] to favorite toys etc. to make him use those muscles more and build up some strength.

I'm actually doing similar things with my new baby African Grey. He has pretty good strength, but is incredibly clumsy - young age and big feet make for a lot of navigation issues. So, I gave him a ladder, and space out the perches and toys so he has to stretch, reach and grab to get where he wants to go. He inherited my first grey's manzanita tree, that is still a little big for his abilities, so I have wrapped some of the branches with a little vet wrap to give him a little extra gripping power.

Hope some of this can be helpful to you..

Please keep us posted on how your very adorable ball of feathers progresses... :heart: