• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Day 3 with Skye

Bex90

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
So it’s day 3 of having Skye at home with us. To begin with I was doubtful she’d every warm to me but today she’s been amazing. She steps up so well now even tho she won’t in her cage but that’s ok. I let her come out by self when she’s ready. Today she ran up my arm and fell asleep on my shoulder for 30mins. She then took herself to the back of my hair (up in a low messy bun) and she snuggled in tight. I’ve never had a bird like this before. Fingers crossed she carries on and our bond forms even stronger as the day goes on.
I do worry however… every time she takes the leap and flies off she crashes straight into the walls. She’s not clipped but she has no sense of direction or nothing. Is that normal?

Attachments

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
When I got my budgies they were terrible flyers, reason being they were still young and learning to fly. If you can, you could put up some nets and/or recall train.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
She is gorgeous! Yes keep bonding with her and it will be beautiful! Around 6-9 months I found with my girl she went through a bitey puberty stage. Training worked well through that. But it passes.
As far as flying goes she’ll be getting used to the lay out of your home and find her balance!
How old is she?

Bex90

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
She is gorgeous! Yes keep bonding with her and it will be beautiful! Around 6-9 months I found with my girl she went through a bitey puberty stage. Training worked well through that. But it passes.
As far as flying goes she’ll be getting used to the lay out of your home and find her balance!
How old is she?
Thankyou. She’s around 7 months I believe. She’s pretty bitey in and on top of her cage but a darling when away from it x

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's adorable. Babies tend to be clumsy as they learn to fly. Just make sure windows, mirrors, etc. are covered or have decals or something on them so she doesn't try to fly through them.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Thankyou. She’s around 7 months I believe. She’s pretty bitey in and on top of her cage but a darling when away from it x
Awee! Yes that’s normal. Have you had parrotlets before? I haven’t my boo is my first. They are known to be territorial so that sounds pretty normal around HER cage lol. My girl isn’t as she’d rather be out than in it. And she will “help” me with cleaning it.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
New flyers seem to crash into everything esp when they are in a new home. After a few days of flying she should get it. I would not put up a net as suggested because if she crashes into and freaks and gets tangled into net. I would take her to a room with not much to crash into and get her to practice flying.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This is great news! Let her take it at her own pace and you will gain trust. It seems like you have a great instinct!

Parrots will make mistakes when navigating a new place. Keep in mind 3 days isn't much time at all. Everything that is in your home, from the tea towels and cabinets to the noises of the appliances, is all new and potentially terrifying. She will find her way. It may help to reduce her free fly area at first and when you have built a trusting relationship you can expand the number of rooms etc. If my Neptune is scared of a new scene he flies to my shoulder and uses me as a reference point, always checking back.

If you continue to let her lead you are bound to win her over :)