• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Day 2 with the Boogie Man with Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
Booger (NO, I didn't name him) is a rescue that came out of a pet store and is now my foster bird. For those of you that didn't see the earlier thread, he had nothing in his cage except for a wire form that USED to be a swing. He didn't even have a single perch.

Booger slept the whole night clinging to the side of his cage even though he now has perches and a swing.

This morning he seemed happy to see me. He was whispering to me, and when I walked away he yelled "Booger!" and "C'mere!"

I was talking to him before I left for work and he said "gimme a kiss" I said "I'm not going to kiss you, you will bite my lip off" to which he replied "ow, ow ow!" lol

But, of course I couldn't resist and gave him a kiss on his beak through the cage and he was a very nice boy and didn't try to bite.

I still haven't tried to handle him, but he does let me give him some scritches through the bars and will give me the warning "ow, ow ow" before he is going to bite. He did get me once, and it was not even really a bite. Just a little warning nip.

My camera was at work, so these are cell phone pics:

This is a pic of the ONLY thing that was in his cage when I picked him up:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
WHAT DID I MISS???? I thought you were getting an Ekkie!!! He's beautiful, I wish you both a wonderful life together.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
:sad7::sad3:Oh Lisa that is horrible. I still dont understand why the petstore didnt improve his living conditions. Can you tell me what they had to say about it?

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Some people just have no idea what birds need. Thats horrible. Not even a perch in his cage? Poor little guy! ):

I'm glad you have the cutie now!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Booger (NO, I didn't name him) is a rescue that came out of a pet store and is now my foster bird. For those of you that didn't see the earlier thread, he had nothing in his cage except for a wire form that USED to be a swing. He didn't even have a single perch.

Booger slept the whole night clinging to the side of his cage even though he now has perches and a swing.

This morning he seemed happy to see me. He was whispering to me, and when I walked away he yelled "Booger!" and "C'mere!"

I was talking to him before I left for work and he said "gimme a kiss" I said "I'm not going to kiss you, you will bite my lip off" to which he replied "ow, ow ow!" lol

But, of course I couldn't resist and gave him a kiss on his beak through the cage and he was a very nice boy and didn't try to bite.

I still haven't tried to handle him, but he does let me give him some scritches through the bars and will give me the warning "ow, ow ow" before he is going to bite. He did get me once, and it was not even really a bite. Just a little warning nip.

My camera was at work, so these are cell phone pics:

This is a pic of the ONLY thing that was in his cage when I picked him up:

oh my gosh that poor guy how did he survive im so thankfull you have him he looks so sweet id trust him after what he had and now has he knows you care god bless you for saving him and showing him a great new life

doll mango

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a pretty little Severe! :) Bless his little heart.

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
Ginger...he is a foster bird. The rescue I volunteer for usually only takes dogs and cats, but this guy was in a pet store and had started plucking. They finally agreed to give him to the rescue and I'm fostering him. The ekkie didn't work out :(

The pet store said that they did give him toys, etc in the past but he "just destroys them" ummmm, yeah! that's what birds do!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Well bless your generous loving heart. We are here for you.

Ginger

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's too bad Cindy, Nailrep, from the other board isn't here yet. She has a Severe Macaw, and she could give you the lowdown.

Of course, Gary and JR have one too :)

Last edited:

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
Ty for telling me he is a severe. I had no idea and had planned on trying to figure it out online this morning.

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
The owner of this pet store is a very nice man and has been very helpful and generous with our pet rescue. The only animals he sells there are fish, rodents and he had a few birds. Obviously, he didn't know how to care for them. He had a TAG, the macaw, a sun conure and some budgies, one tiel and some finches. He allowed the assistant manager to take the TAG home and after some pestering on our part gave us the macaw. Now we need to work on the conure and tiel. He will not replace the birds. He will stick to pet supplies and fish and rodents.

He honestly seemed sad to see Booger leave and asked that I keep him updated on how he is doing. He was upset when he started plucking, and that is when he agreed to give him to us.

He wasn't properly cared for, but I'm glad in the end it is going to turn out ok for Booger.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Lisa I looked right away this morning for your thread.

So there the little fellow is!
He sure is handsome I will say that!
I just knew someone would know what kind of Macaw he was right away and they sure did.:D

Was he eating/drinking that you could see?
So how was he perching to eat/drink? On the bowls themselves?? Hopefully he will wander onto a perch you have by the bowls and give himself a rest.

So glad you have him, I wish you all the best in getting him adjusted.:hug8:

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
He is eating and drinking. He hangs upside down ABOVE the bowls to get to it.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Oh dear, Booger may surprise us all and be on a perch when u get home. That would be wonderful!!

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
He wasn't on a perch but he must have been making some noise because Izzy greeted me with a nice loud macaw squawk! Lol

I'm home with $80 worth of toys and perches. Hope he likes it all!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Oh this is so sad, poor him:( I'm so glad he is with you now. Please keep us posted every step of the way. I want to follow his progress:heart:

Vicki

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
So glad you are able to foster him!! Please do keep us updated!! I hope he appreciates the toys and perches too!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you for explaining the petstore background Lisa. I am just happy he is with you. I hope the other two will follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.