• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Day 19! (with pictures!)

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
It's been over 2 weeks and wow, time sure flies doesn't it?

I figure since the thread has been relatively quiet I could share how Machi is doing!

Here he is!

I think I've gotten a better read on how he ticks these days, and he seems to have understood that the human giving him food needs more outright body language to understand him lol.

First of all, he's letting me get scritches in, which means he doesn't mind my fingers when they're helping him groom! Usually if I hold out a finger he either
1) turns his head and fluffs up his head feathers to be like "scritch here, please."
2) Leans foreward and opens his beak, to which I draw my finger away and let him have his space.

Besides that he does still try to nibble at anything tan and fleshy, and he's biting harder so I'm assuming it's territory aggression, he's getting into his teenage phase (since he's approaching 4 months), or both. He doesn't outright attack me so I just give him space to climb around and draw my limbs out of reach when he opens his beak.

I think I have the timing down for when I should offer him a bath as well. Some kind people here have suggested spritzing with warm water, and pointing the nozzle up so it isn't invasive and that seems to help so thank you!

(Here he is after the most recent bath, looking quite drowned rat-ish (I say affectionately))

He's started morning screaming, which was startling at first, since I wasn't quite ready for how loud Linnies could get, but it seems like no one minds it so I just keep the room dark until I'm ready for it.

All in all, I think we're making good progress! He's probably not quite used to me yet, since he hasn't tried perching on me (he does so when I have to rescue him and our favorite moving perch is out of reach but he hasn't quite tried of his own volition besides crashing onto my shoulder once lol) but I'm willing to wait.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sounds like things are going great! :)

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your Machi is gorgeous. What a beautiful green. I'm so glad you are getting the hang of what your boy wants and needs. They are a funny species, far more complex than I was led to believe by google. ;) Baths are the best with Linnies, aren't they? And I've heard that some Linnies are noisy, but Gigi is not. Could be that she's an only so no other birds to inspire some contact calls. She does have a wide variety of vocalizations though. Super fun to listen to her run through them, as her kiss turns into a buzz, and then a laser. Maybe Machi is calling the javas? Can she see them?

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Your Machi is gorgeous. What a beautiful green. I'm so glad you are getting the hang of what your boy wants and needs. They are a funny species, far more complex than I was led to believe by google. ;) Baths are the best with Linnies, aren't they? And I've heard that some Linnies are noisy, but Gigi is not. Could be that she's an only so no other birds to inspire some contact calls. She does have a wide variety of vocalizations though. Super fun to listen to her run through them, as her kiss turns into a buzz, and then a laser. Maybe Machi is calling the javas? Can she see them?
Not gonna lie, I wasn't sure how dark green he was going to be, but I wasn't disappointed! Its also a lot of fun just watching him scoot around the wire rack when I let him out, he's definitely different from how my Java moves around.
Bathing with Linnies is definitely an experience! My Java bathes like how one would expect songbirds to, but Machi is definitely different with how he hangs upside down and spreads his wings like "yes spray here please."

I think it's the contrary with Machi when it comes to contact calls, as he only starts up when the sunlight comes in through his window and my finch isn't quite up (and apparently gets noisy when it's about to rain according to my mom) so it's probably loneliness. Hopefully it'll be better when I can finally move his cage next to my finch's!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It will be so fun when they live next to one another! How does your Java compare in size to Machi? Have I asked this before, can't remember. I saw that Javas can be 5-6 inches and Linnies are 6-7.

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
It will be so fun when they live next to one another! How does your Java compare in size to Machi? Have I asked this before, can't remember. I saw that Javas can be 5-6 inches and Linnies are 6-7.
Hopefully they can learn to be decent to one another...
I think you have but again, just in case!
Machi seems to be around one or two sizes bigger than Koyuki, it's more the width than the length that makes him look so big compared to her in my opinion since Linnies seem to be built much stockier than finches!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
It's funny to hear linnies referred to as stocky because it all depends on how you look at them. My boys look long and linear to me in comparison to my lovebird, who is definitely stockier.

My Caspar went through a period where he was extremely impatient and protective of Emrys and their cage. He would seem to perceive any delay in giving him a treat as taunting him and would scream and charge me! It was terrifying from such a normally quiet, calm bird! Fortunately, he outgrew it and is pretty calm now. Emrys likes me better than Caspar does, but it's okay. :)

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
It's funny to hear linnies referred to as stocky because it all depends on how you look at them. My boys look long and linear to me in comparison to my lovebird, who is definitely stockier.

My Caspar went through a period where he was extremely impatient and protective of Emrys and their cage. He would seem to perceive any delay in giving him a treat as taunting him and would scream and charge me! It was terrifying from such a normally quiet, calm bird! Fortunately, he outgrew it and is pretty calm now. Emrys likes me better than Caspar does, but it's okay. :)
It does indeed! Like I said before, I'm comparing him to a small finch whose legs are as wide as one of his toes, and half as wide so Machi (my Linnie) would definitely look stockier than Koyuki (my finch)

Oh boy, I think Machi is getting to that phase where he's more bitey. I accidentally made a "Eee!" sound when he bit me too hard (it's not really a scream, probably more like a squeak) and he let go so maybe he's learning that that hurts and I don't like it? I can't say for sure so I'll try asking the local parrot store for advice on that.