• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dark ring around nares?

maxe1108

Moving in
Real Name
Masha A
I noticed this darkness around Rainbow’s nares the other day and was wondering if I should be concerned. I live in humid Florida and take her into the shower as well as keep her room always at a pleasant temperature.
I know birds are super good at hiding when they don’t feel good which is why I worry. She is eating and drinking normally and behavior is overall normal aside from when she sits with me while I am working or in the shower with her she will start to close her eyes as if she is sleeping, but I’ve been told birds do that when they are very comfortable with you.
She does also sneeze now and then and make little hissy noises randomly.

Thank you for the help! (Pictures attached)

Attachments

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
The sleepy look may be her getting too hot in the shower, but if she looks like she does in these pictures a lot and sneezes frequently, I'd be booking an appointment. They should be bright eyed and quite active.

maxe1108

Moving in
Real Name
Masha A
The sleepy look may be her getting too hot in the shower, but if she looks like she does in these pictures a lot and sneezes frequently, I'd be booking an appointment. They should be bright eyed and quite active.
I never thought about it being too hot in the shower I will keep that in mind next time!
Also she’s squinting in the pictures because I had the flash on my camera on right next to her face to get a good photo she was literally running around my desk like crazy right before this. I guess I should have clarified that because it does seem odd out of context

maxe1108

Moving in
Real Name
Masha A
I never thought about it being too hot in the shower I will keep that in mind next time!
Also she’s squinting in the pictures because I had the flash on my camera on right next to her face to get a good photo she was literally running around my desk like crazy right before this. I guess I should have clarified that because it does seem odd out of context
Thank you for the input tho!

maxe1108

Moving in
Real Name
Masha A
Rupert has a bit of darkening around his nares, but it's more obvious on his right than his left.
View attachment 322604
View attachment 322605
Ahhh! That’s exactly how my rainbow is too! One is clear and the other is dark that’s why I worried that maybe there was something wrong with it! Good to know I’m not the only one. Has a vet ever made any comment on his nares?

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I MUST say Rupert looks like he’s modeling a huge fur coat in those pics and I LOVE IT! The blue steel pose he does so well distracts me every time :p

Again, sorry for hijacking maxe, I hope your baby is well!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Ahhh! That’s exactly how my rainbow is too! One is clear and the other is dark that’s why I worried that maybe there was something wrong with it! Good to know I’m not the only one. Has a vet ever made any comment on his nares?
No, they haven't really. His foster mom thought it was odd and she brought him in to check it out and they really didn't think much of it. I do keep an eye out to make sure he's not scratching or having issues, but he's healthy.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I MUST say Rupert looks like he’s modeling a huge fur coat in those pics and I LOVE IT! The blue steel pose he does so well distracts me every time :p

Again, sorry for hijacking maxe, I hope your baby is well!
:laughin: It really does! I towel him regularly to get him used to me doing quick physicals (he has a history of chewing his feet during hormonal periods) so he was giving me the "ugh, this again mom?" face when I scooped him up for photos.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Ah, that makes sense! My flock prefers their baths on the cooler side (which is ok during the summer) but during the winter, I do make sure it's a little warmer than room temp and I run their oil heater to make sure no one gets too cold. Great job on being proactive with your little cutie pie! How long have you had her? :heart:

maxe1108

Moving in
Real Name
Masha A
Ah, that makes sense! My flock prefers their baths on the cooler side (which is ok during the summer) but during the winter, I do make sure it's a little warmer than room temp and I run their oil heater to make sure no one gets too cold. Great job on being proactive with your little cutie pie! How long have you had her? :heart:
I’ve had her now for about 5 years! When I first got her and took her to the vet they said she was quite young so I’m assuming that’s about how old she is. I picked her up from a dodgy pet store (not in the market for a bird at all) and saw how disgusting her cage was with no fresh food or water and zero human interaction. She has since become the sassiest, funniest, most interactive and cuddly pit I’ve ever had! I love her so much and get a little overly worried about her sometimes!

maxe1108

Moving in
Real Name
Masha A
Also, what is an oil heater? I do worry that normal heaters might make the air too dry for her

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Aww, thank you for taking her in! I know how that is. If I hear a sneeze, I wait to see if it's a hull from a bit of millet or a bit of feather dust from scratching pin feathers first.

Oh, this is the heater. The oil is completely enclosed within the unit (you don't add or remove it). It just heats it and circulates through the unit. Since I'm also in FL, I literally only use the "prevent the room from freezing" setting. The room my birds are in has two large windows, so during winter time, it gets chilly in there.

This looks close to the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7...onghi+oil+filled+heater&qid=1575788279&sr=8-4