• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dark poop this morning

Csolis22

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Constanza
Hi everyone I woke up to some very dark droppings in my bird’a bowl. I squished some to see what color it was and it looks very dark brown.
I took her bowl away for bed last night since her hormonal behavior was severe and she was enamored with her bowl. Not sure if lack of food for those hours could’ve caused this because I usually leave her with pellets.

Please let me know what you think.

7AA86BD7-A1A5-48D0-A6AD-F439BBFF1D78.jpeg

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I am by no means a poop expert but that does not look normal to me.
What dod you feed her last night so other members may be able to advise you.
I am also tagging our poop expert. @Mizzely Who may be able to help.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
that black is usually digested blood from higher up in gi system...and when broken up looks like coffee grounds like seems to in your picture...not an expert either....

Any chance chewed on some metal? If it digestive blood ( and im not sure ) it can be a sign of heavy metal ...and other i..

Did it return to normal? Any signs if weakness ir being off?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I just looked through your other posts and they all seem to be health issues with your sweet girl...
It possible she has an infection in the gi again...
Your January nap picture she seemed to have tail Bob and slight increases respiratory effort. But when awake in second video of her regurgitating it wasn't noticeable. So if its there its very slight and only seen at rest.
When I had a burd with that slight of issue I had to vid and show vet as she never showed it in the exam room. BTW ended up being yeast overgrowth in mine..

The regurgitating vudeo...seems behavioral..but a couple of times she flings and shakes her head. That's more like vomiting...but really can't decide jn video if she is practicing regurgitating behavior or if slight health reas....
The foam ones I agree didn't look normal from awhile back..

I see you've always sought veterinarian care abd full work uos with x-rays and blood work and cultures....you are a wonderful owner.

Is the blue moon toy with chain for sure stainless steel? From a reputable burd place?

You might discuss the possibility of chronic zinc toxicity with your veterinarian

Csolis22

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Constanza
I am by no means a poop expert but that does not look normal to me.
What dod you feed her last night so other members may be able to advise you.
I am also tagging our poop expert. @Mizzely Who may be able to help.
Thank you for the reply- so she didn’t eat last night because I removed her bowl when I put her to bed.
I think that may have contributed, it was a terrible mistake.
she went many hours without her food. I made sure to feed her a lot today and will not be making that mistake again, her droppings seem to be returning back to a normal color now.
I just looked through your other posts and they all seem to be health issues with your sweet girl...
It possible she has an infection in the gi again...
Your January nap picture she seemed to have tail Bob and slight increases respiratory effort. But when awake in second video of her regurgitating it wasn't noticeable. So if its there its very slight and only seen at rest.
When I had a burd with that slight of issue I had to vid and show vet as she never showed it in the exam room. BTW ended up being yeast overgrowth in mine..

The regurgitating vudeo...seems behavioral..but a couple of times she flings and shakes her head. That's more like vomiting...but really can't decide jn video if she is practicing regurgitating behavior or if slight health reas....
The foam ones I agree didn't look normal from awhile back..

I see you've always sought veterinarian care abd full work uos with x-rays and blood work and cultures....you are a wonderful owner.

Is the blue moon toy with chain for sure stainless steel? From a reputable burd place?

You might discuss the possibility of chronic zinc toxicity with your veterinarian
Thank you for this response, I appreciate it.

Her poops have returned to normal which I am very excited about. I had her fully examined about six months ago, she’s been tested for everything. However last year she was crop swabbed and they found an overgrowth of staph, we treated it. Other than that they haven’t been able to find anything else wrong with her. She’s been like in the video for years now and I’ve always rushed her to the vet to do all these exams but they’ve exhausted what else it could be other than behavioral. At some point was taking her to the vet monthly. It’s very odd to me. I’ve even gotten second and third opinions as well.

I get all my toys from the bird safe website to be ensure they don’t harm her.

She has another appointment today so I want to see what they think, perhaps I’ll do another crop swab to make sure there’s nothing overgrowing there. She’s been more active than ever and her poops are now her usual green color.

I will ask about the zinc toxicity though

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I hope things go well at the vets today.
You might want to take a poop sample "just in case", but you know what you're doing. :)