• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dark dropping from food?

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
Hi I fed my budgie some black/dark purple lettuce and now there is some black poop. It looked really dark so I wasn’t sure if it was from that lettuce or not. She is still active and playing around which is a good sign. When I smudged the dropping it turned brown when it dried. Is that a good sign that it’s brown when dried cause I read that black tarry droppings are bad but I’m not sure what tarry droppings look like. Here are some pics of what I’m seeing.

also it’s been a couple hours and they seem back to normal color which is a good sign.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My bird does awesome colour poop after blueberries or beetroot.
You’ll see colour changes with the foods fed.
Keep an eye on it though and if it continues well after the suspected food was eaten then we start to worry.

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
My bird does awesome colour poop after blueberries or beetroot.
You’ll see colour changes with the foods fed.
Keep an eye on it though and if it continues well after the suspected food was eaten then we start to worry.
I actually had my budgie do 2 blood tests a couple weeks ago and I think one of them was cbc and the other was a chemical panel. Would those be able to tell if there is bleeding inside?

also is this black dropping look too dark to be from dark lettuce or not? I’m having trouble telling what’s tarry or not

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We generally don’t panic over one or two odd poops- especially when we’ve fed dark foods, if the colour doesn’t go back to normal after 24 hrs hours then it’s usually time to start thinking of getting a vet appointment. You said the poop colour has gone back to normal so I think it’s safe to assume the food was the reason for the colour change you saw.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
One bad poop is okay...sometimes when I feed my budgie kale or something like that her poops are weird. They normally go back to the usual colour and consistency though!

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
One bad poop is okay...sometimes when I feed my budgie kale or something like that her poops are weird. They normally go back to the usual colour and consistency though!
Oh ok thank you both very much. I was worried but I didn’t think anything was too serious because if those 2 tests she did before and it’s back to normal now.

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
Just for my future knowledge can someone describe how tarry droppings are like ? I heard that means something bad. I’m not understanding what tarry looks like lol

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez