• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dangers of chicken feathers?

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Hiya everyone.
I've been helping a friend with their chickens the past few weeks and I collected a couple stray/dropped feathers in my jacket pocket.
I wanted to stick them in my scrapbook but I'm a bit wary of the possibility of parasites/diseases. I don't want to "infect" my whole scrapbook, so wanted to check first.
I couldn't find anything about it online, and I think I'm just overthinking. But you do always get told as a child not to touch bird feathers because you could get sick. :shrug:

Anyone know anything about this?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Lightly spray them with hair spray or Static guard will do it..also keeps them from being eaten by those tiny little what ever they that ate the feathers on my Christmas ornaments ..

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Lightly spray them with hair spray or Static guard will do it..also keeps them from being eaten by those tiny little what ever they that ate the feathers on my Christmas ornaments ..
Thank you. And oh gosh. I didn't know things ate feathers. Sorry about your ornaments. :lol:

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Salmonella poisoning is the most you would be worried about. I must be super careful after touching my chickens to wash my hands up to my upper arms and when I do touch the chickens I wear my rubber boots and raincoat with the hood on. We take everything off in the garage, wash my hands in the deep sink and hang and put our coats and shoes on a mud rack/coat hanger we have in the garage.

I wouldn't worry too much about a few feathers. If you are worried, stick them in the freezer for a few minutes, that will kill any bad bacteria.