• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a great reminder to be vigilant. Thanks guys.:)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
This is such a fantastic thread as I'm buying everything for Mali. Thanks for putting this together!

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Had a close call with Picaso today and the Jungle Take Mazy Munch foraging toy- large. It happened literally less than 5 minutes after I put it in his cage for the very first time ever. Luckily I was right there and he was trained enough to let me hold him and take his nail out of this toy, and my husband was also there to help. I acted really quickly, that is one thing this forum helps with, is quick thinking.

yhst-63188547252779_2168_75164269.gif

He must have squeezed the bottom with his beak, and then got his nail stuck in between the two layers of acrylic. He would have broken his toe or foot pretty soon or worse, as he was struggling pretty hard almost immediately. He definitely did not stay calm. Poor baby. He is doing ok, enjoying some babying from me, and holding his foot a little. He is trying to show me his "booboo" and let me know that he needs cuddles and extra love. He will let me touch it and it just seems a little sore, not broken or anything. He is using his foot thank goodness. Just an FYI. This toy might be ok for smaller, less strong birds, but I would not use it for cockatoos or macaws at all. Once the nail gets stuck in there, it is practically impossible for them to get it out. We needed a very strong man or a screwdriver to do it, I could not have done it myself.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Had a close call with Picaso today and the Jungle Take Mazy Munch foraging toy- large. It happened literally less than 5 minutes after I put it in his cage for the very first time ever. Luckily I was right there and he was trained enough to let me hold him and take his nail out of this toy, and my husband was also there to help. I acted really quickly, that is one thing this forum helps with, is quick thinking.

View attachment 69649

He must have squeezed the bottom with his beak, and then got his nail stuck in between the two layers of acrylic. He would have broken his toe or foot pretty soon or worse, as he was struggling pretty hard almost immediately. He definitely did not stay calm. Poor baby. He is doing ok, enjoying some babying from me, and holding his foot a little. He is trying to show me his "booboo" and let me know that he needs cuddles and extra love. He will let me touch it and it just seems a little sore, not broken or anything. He is using his foot thank goodness. Just an FYI. This toy might be ok for smaller, less strong birds, but I would not use it for cockatoos or macaws at all. Once the nail gets stuck in there, it is practically impossible for them to get it out. We needed a very strong man or a screwdriver to do it, I could not have done it myself.
Thank god he was ok :hug8:,dont scare mom or us like that again young man!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I am posting this because a couple members of other forums I have been on over the years have had issues (including DEATHS of their fids).

Bird ladders and swings with a hook on it are HIGHLY dangerous. I have seen (very graphic) photos of parakeets, lovebirds, and cockatiels being seriously injured or killed (most of the time bird did not make it :() from these toys going threw their heads. I can find the old threads with the photos if you really want to see them. They instantly made me reconsider EVER buying anything like these.

wood-bird-ladder.jpg

This swing is easy to replace the hook with a safe clasp that fully closes. The ladder I do not know a way to fix. I went out and bought a rope one with a safer clasp.

81511.jpg

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I just wanted to update everyone,it appears that everyone who sent emails of concern in to Dr Fosters and Smith regarding the toy that killed poor Kerbear finally got their attention and they took it off their website. I would check from time to time to see if they still had that toy listed,so I was happy to see today it is no longer there,although there are still many toys that do not look safe in my opinion.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This is very good news.

Jen0087

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran

McLaughlane

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Katie
I am posting this because a couple members of other forums I have been on over the years have had issues (including DEATHS of their fids).

Bird ladders and swings with a hook on it are HIGHLY dangerous. I have seen (very graphic) photos of parakeets, lovebirds, and cockatiels being seriously injured or killed (most of the time bird did not make it :() from these toys going threw their heads. I can find the old threads with the photos if you really want to see them. They instantly made me reconsider EVER buying anything like these.

View attachment 71036

This swing is easy to replace the hook with a safe clasp that fully closes. The ladder I do not know a way to fix. I went out and bought a rope one with a safer clasp.

View attachment 71037
Oh hell, my fiance just bought one of those ladders for Manfred's cage, too. Time to get rid of it pronto!

I am so glad this thread exists, it's teaching me to have a much more careful eye when it comes to birdie toys.

woubette

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sheila
My very good friend lost her green cheek to a toy with cotton rope knots.....needless to say, Rio can only play with his cotton rope toys outside the cage while supervised....thank you for this thread, I just wish I had seen it before my friend lost her bird!

gayla

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
Check all pinata type toys very carefully.

When I worked at Petco, they had a recall of all of these types of toys. If you look closely at the hat, it is sewn together with a very fine thread. As the bird shreds the pinata, these threads become exposed. The bird can swallow or get tangled in these threads. These threads are so fine they are hard to see. We recently got a Cockatoo in at TGF, with one of these threads wrapped around his leg. It had been there so long skin had grown over it.

Also, be careful of the clackers in bells.

Strong beaks can loosen and remove them. They can be swallowed, or beaks can get caught where the clacker attaches to the bell. What I have done with Pita's bells is remove the clacker, run a small piece of fleece through the hole were the clacker attaches. I then tie beads to the fleece, so the bird can still enjoy the sound of the bell.

Make it a habit to examine your birds toys daily. Remove any toys with loose, hanging rope or threads. Check all quick links and make sure they securely fastened. Check all toys with chain, If enough chain is exposed to wrap around your birds leg, foot, or neck, remove it. Leather is a good option for chain, as someone already suggested, but again, if the exposed portion is long enough to form a loop, remove it, or shorten it.

I do the Cockatoo enrichment at TGF, and part of what I do is not only put toys in cages, but look for dangers. Rope perches can be shredded leaving long dangling threads. Sisal rope perches can be torn to bits, leaving a birds nest type of mess, that has danger written all over it. I removed one of these perches from the cage of a Bare Eyed Too this last Sunday. Half of the wire that runs thru the perch was exposed, the rest was a tangled wad of danger.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I would stay away from the finger traps sold by Oriental Trading. I bought a pack of 72 for $10 because Jingo goes through them so fast...the price was so tempting. When I opened the bag, they smelled heavily of engine oil/gasoline. I ended up throwing the entire bag away.

Finger Traps, Magic & Gags, Novelty Toys, Toys, Games & Novelties - Oriental Trading
They always smell that way regardless of where I've gotten them from. Go to party city and smell them. The only difference is some have more time to air out.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

They always smell that way regardless of where I've gotten them from. Go to party city and smell them. The only difference is some have more time to air out.
I have never had them smell that way! Does that mean I just threw out a lot of good bird toys? :(

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Yup I agree. If you have doubts pitch them. I do notice that some DO smell more strongly then others. I use the finger traps pretty sparingly here just because I'm not sure how they're treated/dyed overseas.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
In the past 5 years I have bought my finger traps that I sell from two different places. I buy by the case of 25 / 144 pc. each. They have never ever smelled of any thing except kind of like light smell of palm like so many of the shredder items we are all familar with. I do not buy my finger traps through oriental trading and never have so not sure what they smell like.