• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thank you all for sharing!!!!

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I bought a bunch of vineballs and let the Lovies play with them until one day I saw Zeus with part of the vine chewed off and wrapped around his neck like a noose! I hate to imagine what would have happened if I had not been home. I let the birds play with the vine balls,but only under close supervision and I saw one of the lovies get a piece wrapped around his neck again so I decided no more unless I hold the darn things in my hands and let them nibble on them!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Stainless steel buckets can be dangerous when hanging in a cage. Nani was perched on the side of one as she foraged for toys. The bucket got off balance and tipped, trapped her neck in between the handle and rim. If I had not been there when it happened, I hate to even imagine...

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I had this toy in the Cockatiels cage:

Until I found Theo's head stuck in between the piece of rope and the long piece of wood which left her dangling:

It is only a VERY small gap, the size of a Cockatiels head pretty much, even though it may not look like it.

Last edited:

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I heard reports of birds getting their legs/legbands caught in these type of toys.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dangers of some toothbrushes as toys

Toothbrushes as toys-Warning!

I was discussing with some of my birdie friends about the possible dangers of using toothbrushes as toys. So I thought I would do an experiment myself.
Some toothbrushes have metal chips that hold the bristles in. Some companies use SS chips, some aluminum, some no chips at all.
So I gathered some of my old toothbrushes made by different companies and even bought a few new ones.
I then used rose bush pruners to cut the head of the toothbrush in half. If there were metal chips I removed them and used a magnet to tell me whether they were metal, SS or Aluminum. Below is the list and my findings with pictures. I was thinking that even the chips that are not metal still can cause internal damage if ingested by our birds.
The chips are so very tiny and very sharp. The picture on my finger is my pinky finger. The screwdriver was used to prove that the chip was metal as the screw driver is magnetic.

Toothbrush:
1)Oral B gel head w/side rubber bristles-no metal chips found
2)Oral B full bristle head-metal chips-magnetic*
3)GUM-full bristle head-metal chips-magnetic*
4)Colgate360-no metal chips found
5)Aquafresh Gel head-no metal chips found
6)Reach full bristle head-metal chips found-magnetic**

The reach and Oral B had many metal chips.
** toothbrush 007.jpg toothbrush 002.jpg toothbrush 003.jpg toothbrush 005.jpg toothbrush 008.jpg I do not know if toothbrushes sold as bird toys are free of metal chips.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
re: Dangers of some toothbrushes as toys

That's good to know. I've never given my birds toothbrushes as bird toys. After seeing this, I won't start ;)

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Qoq I had no idea there were metal chips in the toothbrushes,thanks for letting us know Judy!

giraffe95132

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ann James
Thanks for all these listings, those of us who are new to birds really appreciate all the words of wisdom.

Ann James
Kula's mom (sun conure):cool1:

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I bought this toy from petsmart:
Paradise Toys Vibrant Cluster Bird Toy - Bird - Sale Category - PetSmart

I gave it to Sparky and she absolutely loved it. But one day I was in the bird room and Sparky was in her cage. She got her head stuck in the wooden rings and was hanging, he neck still stuck in the rings. It was strangling her. I rushed over and carefully rescued her from the toy. She was fine, and I threw the toy away.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Forgot about this one. Baby type toys.
Holly did this

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Forgot about this one. Baby type toys.
Holly did this

I have that toy. Luckily I only use baby toys outside of the cage, so they are always being supervised, but still, things can always happen. I am under the c conclusion that almost ALL toys can be unsafe, that you really have to be on your toes all the time. :eek: